Project Catch 'Em All

Ryon

By any chance are you gonna add more trainers then just Red and Gold?

if we had more trainer sprites we would. But we don't.

If we had someone who could sprite trainers we would.

Hmmm from what game that stage came from?

iam interested on these simple looking but colorfull sprites of it.

What stage?

skarmory is broke

scyther is broke

i think you made quilava too weak

haven't gotten to mewtwo

BECUZTHEYRBROKE!

otherwise... i guess the game is pretty good.

i would like to make a character for this but i don't know where to find sprites i would need for the attacks n stuff

skarmory is broke scyther is broke   i think you made quilava too weak haven't gotten to mewtwo

BECUZTHEYRBROKE!

otherwise... i guess the game is pretty good. i would like to make a character for this but i don't know where to find sprites i would need for the attacks n stuff

Can you be more specific? I get Skarmory, but how is Scyther "broke?" Addressing Quilava... Well, I usually make most of the effects myself.

ok scyther... well his attacks all recharge fast, and i think thats agility that makes him dodge correct? those 2 things.   and quilava, really i could never win with him.   his attacks are alot weaker then most of the other pokemon's.

Scyther's agility is what allows him to recharge really fast, otherwise, it's really slow. Agility only works for 3 moves after using it. For example: Agility (Slow) -> Slash (Fast) -> X-Scissor (Fast) -> Slash (Fast) -> Razor Wind (Slow) See, you'd have to use agility again after two moves if you wanted to keep the speed increase. Yes, agility allows him to dodge moves. I'll remove that though. I said I'm addressing Quilava.

I've been trying all night to try and get Meowth's Fake-Out to work. The idea is that I want him to go continuously forward at a blinding fast speed until he hits the target and then jumps off, but I cannot get it to work. Even though I added hitboxes to the attack and a hit-def, I still cannot get the attack to work. I also can't seem to get it to go at a continuous pace. As for getting him to jump off or allowing him to use the move only once, I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've been trying all night to try and get Meowth's Fake-Out to work. The idea is that I want him to go continuously forward at a blinding fast speed until he hits the target and then jumps off, but I cannot get it to work. Even though I added hitboxes to the attack and a hit-def, I still cannot get the attack to work. I also can't seem to get it to go at a continuous pace. As for getting him to jump off or allowing him to use the move only once, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Post your code (all states for the move) or PM me if you don't want to post it here.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was going to create a new thread, but I think it's safe to revive this one because it's for the same thing. A note to anyone wanting to contribute or inquire about the project, this is the official W.I.P. thread for it. Creators looking to contribute can post their creations for review here. If this branches out enough or seems like it would be deserving of a sub-forum, I'll create one, but right now there's no a lot of activity for it.

As the lead dev on this project I'm going to say that this project is officially NOT dead. It's been on the back-burner, but my co-dev TxPot will be joining us from MFG to contribute here as well. Hopefully Ryon will get back to it as well sometime, but no rush there.

Haha, I completely forgot about this thread, silly me. ^_^;

Anyway, I got a nice treat for you:

Yes that's right, Vaporeon is finished and Umbreon has been released as well.

I am going to work on Glaceon and Leafeon as well, but before I do, I will do a POKéMON, that already ended up being mandatory with all the Pikachus and Charizards.

I am talking about nobody else than...*record scratch*...Jigglypuff!

Yup, it's time for the Balloon POKéMON to shine. And since this is me, Jigglypuff will only have her attacks from Super Smash Bros Melee.

*Rollout

*Pound

*Sing

*Rest

The last two are also the reason why I choose Jigglypuff and not Lucario, like I originally wanted to: PCEA finally needs a POKéMON, who can make proper use of the SLEEP status effect, and I will be the one to deliver it, in form of a POKéMON, that is also a Smash tribute on the same time.

Hey all. For the past several weeks, I have come up with possibly the end-all template for the project, and the end-all wishlist for potential pokemon to exist in the game, as you can now create more than just your own within it. Keep in mind that while the original variables and placement of sprites are mostly intact, this template changes much of the system you know of, including the lack of compatiability with the original characters.

As this is a beta, I will not deem this complete enough to use as a template, and thus won't do anything to the current system until I get the go-ahead to replace it with this system instead. A help file is included but it's unfinished.

[Pics]

xo1qHrL.png
bf4RKOe.png
6BfPuF3.png
iwz9Fwo.png
Sh3tChg.png

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?0gsgy3n4e5q2v8i

The only problem I have with this is that there is so much to edit that it may overwhelm creators and new players alike, with the biggest problem being the damage formula; Even I am getting a headache from this formula, as it needs a ton of testing to see if I'm doing the right damage. A help guide may be needed to clear some things up.

Bear in mind that not all abilities and moves can be replicated. This shouldn't stop you from devising your own pokemon's tricks, attacks, and strategies! This is the list of all abilities and moves that cannot be replicated without some overhauling or move changes:

Moves:

Ally Switch

Aromatic Mist
Assurance
Attract
Bestow
Copycat
Crafty Shield
Electrify
Embargo
Entertainment
Fairy Lock
Fling
Follow Me
Foresight
Grass Knot
Gravity
Grudge
Guard Split
Guard Swap
Happy Hour
Heal Pulse
Heart Swap
Heavy Slam
Helping Hand
Hold Back
Hold Hands
Imprison
Low Kick
Magic Room
Magnet Rise
Magnetic Flux
Me First
Metronome
Mimic
Minimize
Miracle Eye
Mirror Move
Natural Gift
Nightmare
Odor Sleuth
Powder
Power Split
Power Swap
Power Trick
Psych Up
Punishment
Pursuit
Quash
Quick Guard
Rage Powder
Recycle
Role Play
Sketch
Skill Swap
Sleep Talk
Smack Down
Smokescreen
Snatch
Snore
Spite
Sweet Scent
Switcheroo
Taunt
Telekinesis
Torment
Transform
Trick
Trick Room
Wake-up Slap
Wide Guard
Wonder Room
Yawn
[All Moves that inflict Sleep, confusion, freeze, or reduce accuracy/evasion as a primary effect (Sleep Powder, Confuse Ray, etc)]

Abilities:

Analytic

Anticipation
Aura Break
Bad Dreams
Bulletproof
Cheek Pouch
Compound Eyes
Cute Charm
Damp
Download
Early Bird
Forewarn
Friend Guard
Frisk
Gale Wings
Gluttony
Harvest
Healer
Heavy Metal
Honey Gather
Illuminate
Illusion
Imposter
Infiltrator
Insomnia
Keen Eye
Klutz
Light Metal
Magic Bounce
Magician
Magma Armor
Minus
Multitype
No Guard
Oblivious
Pickpocket
Pickup
Plus
Prankster
Pressure
Rivalry
Run Away
Scrappy
Snow Cloak
Soundproof
Stall
Stance Change
Steedfast
Stench
Sticky Hold
Sweet Veil
Symbiosis
Tangled Feet
Trace
Traunt
Unburden
Unnerve
Victory Star
Vital Spirit
Wonder Skin

*CONTROLS*

1. Select the character as usual. It is recommended to have Debug Keys on and turn P2's A.I on.
2. When the fight starts, use directional keys and Start button to choose pokemon.
3. When you have a full ATB, press START to pause. Use directional keys and Start button to choose options. Items does not work for now.
4. On the Summary screen, press START to select pokemon, then directional keys to browse moves and stats.
5. To switch pokemon, pause the game, select "Switch" and select the pokemon you want.
6. To quit early, have a pokemon faint, then select Exit with start, followed by yes with the prompt.
7. Don't try to quit in training mode, as the battle will never end. Instead, I will create a dedicated Training Tool to test out pokemon on.

*CHANGES*

Gameplay:

1. You can now use up to 3 pokemon at once. It is possible to program more, but I feel that 3 is the most realistic you can get from a battle that shouldn't last ages, and yet can get more fun and a challenge out of it.
2. Because of the above, damage taken and status will be specific to each pokemon. This means that each individual can suffer from a status effect, instead of the whole team suffering from one pokemon.
3. You can now pause the game. When doing this, the player who used it gets to check out their pokemon's current stats and abilties, switch pokemon, and use items.
4. When one of your pokemon is defeated, you get the option of using either your remaining ones, or quitting the battle early.
5. Instead of using Mugen's .cns data, Pokemon now use their own stats to work out the damage dealt and taken, Max HP, and speed of getting their turn. This may open up possibilities, like lowering stats temporarily or even using pokemon that are a lower level than 100.
6. Moves now have a set ATB rate that is universal to all pokemon, to make use of the new formula for the ATB rate. This alone will be decided and agreed on by the community.
7. Moves are now split between Normal and Special types of attack. No longer will you be walled by notorious pokemon like Blissey, because you can just use your physical moves against it!
8. Moves now deal between 85-100% of their total damage like in Diamond and Pearl, but it can be gotten rid of.
9. New Type: [super-Effective]. This type allows any attack to inflict Super-Effective damage on any pokemon, and a pokemon with this type will take Super-Effective damage from all other types. It is mostly used to recreate Freeze-Dry and Shadow Pokemon within the game.
9. System Add-ons implemented and now are a part of the whole system: Critical hits, STAB mode (Although it can be gotten rid of), Status viewing at any time, Weather.
10. Abilities can be added in, but only certain abilities will work under STAB mode, while others will need special animations to trigger their effect.
11. A.I can be freely created for the character to some extent.

Formula:

1. When a pokemon is out, the stats they have at level 100 are taken into account for attacks, damage taken, and ATB rate. The following formula may change in the future:

ATB rate calculations: 60-ticks-per-second + (speed/20, rounded down) [e.g 457 speed / 20 = 22.85, + 60 = 82 ticks for ATB per second]. Speed can only go up to 60 ticks a second, translated to an unreasonable 1200 speed.

Attacker Damage calculations are mostly copied from Diamond and Pearl's damage calculations, with some exceptions:
1. It only takes into account the enemy's defence or Special Defence. It doesn't take into account whether the enemy has Light Screen/Reflect, etc.
2. It doesn't take into account the enemy's type resistances. I've left this to the original system, and it works well provided you use [fvar(1)] as you normally would.
3. We do not use Modifier 2 or 3.
4. Rounding off values takes place after EVERYTHING has been calculated, not on each part of the calculation.

Defender Damage calculations: Damage taken divide by your Reflect/Light Screen effect and other effects/abilities like Dry Skin. It also takes critical hits into account.

Code:

1. To accommodate all of these changes, the number of variables the system uses is now 40 for int and 30 for floats. Only var(40-59) and fvar(30-39) can be used by the creator if they wish.
2. Got rid of everything involving ForceFeedback, as it's a useless state controller.

*BUGS*

1. Pausing the game won't stop all attacks from being carried out. This can be fixed by using the "Pause" state, but this causes Mugen to crash later on.
2. The damage formula doesn't take into account multiple hits. Therefore, the damage of a multi-hitting attack will be greater than if the attack was condensed to only one hit, despite the damage reductions still being carried out.
3. Please leave alone the code in the [Data] part of the .cns file. It's there to ensure accurate damage, and the extra life is there to prevent taking excess damage to have a premature KO while in battle.
4. You can skip the "Select Pokemon" part at the beginning of the battle by pressing any button except START. If that happens, you will start with the pokemon you have selected using START, or the first pokemon if you didn't select a pokemon. This can be fixed with a variable and a lot of code, but this will come later.
5. The "Item" mode of the Pause Screen doesn't work for now. Don't bother trying to select it.

*TO DO LIST*

1. All viable abilities.
2. Split Trainer animation code to have their own statedef to better code animation transitions.

During the process of me making a template, you may wish to think of potential teams of 3 or less pokemon for each trainer to have. These could be anything, from the original standards of having Bird Keepers use only bird-like pokemon, or an Aroma Lady having nothing but Regenerator and Natural Cure pokemon.

I believe you should do something similar to what pokemon stadium did. You pick the 3 pokemon you would want to use instead of having set teams which I dislike. I would rather get to choose a mix and match for each one.