HOW DO YOU CHOOSE YOUR GAME

RIS

Hello guys.. Guess this'll be my first topic huh? So yesterday, I was playing Mana Khemia on my PSP and then one of my friends said this; "Whoa! This game's graphic really sucks. How come you're able to play games like these?" Of course, that made me mad since Mana Khemia is one of my favorites thus leading me to ask you guys this question: How do you guys choose your games? Are you the type that chooses games based on the graphic? Or perhaps the gameplay? Or perhaps the game's system maybe? And not to mention that there ARE people who play certain games because there're cute girls in there. So which one are you? As for me, I'll usually choose the game based on the storyline or the plot of the game. I usually don't care about graphics whatsoever. I'll play almost anything as long as the storyline interests me. So let me ask this important question again: WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?

"Whoa! This game's graphic really sucks. How come you're able to play games like these?"

My rage meter has reached its cap!!

I love a great story with reasonable gameplay, but, to me, graphics are the least of my worries, though it'd be nice to have a little luster inside.

AHA a fellow Idea factory fan. Nice to meet you. I will be honest I have not played mana khamia yet because of playing other things first but I will get to it eventually. people who judge games on graphics suck ass its all about the story and gameplay. :3. ive been playing blazing souls alot lately. trying to get the good ending. the kind of person I am is Rpgs mainly. Niche to be more precise not always but alot of the time. I have played every single nippon ichi game that has been localized except mugen souls. I am the rpg master on this forum lol. so I can tell you graphics mean diddly squat to me. I have played alot of idea factory games and working on compile heart as well. I dolike alot of mainstream rpgs like the tales of series and final fantasy (the old ones) but most of my interests are very obscure rpgs.

I play fighting games and RPGs, for me graphics and soundtrack are big factory in how good a game is, because they add to the overall experience. Obviously gameplay is most important though. I've played enough street fighter games to learn that story is irrelevant in fighting games, but in RPGs it's essential.

I have played every single nippon ichi game that has been localized except mugen souls.

Well I do play a lot of NIS games. I REALLY love nippon ichi seriously. The game's system and storyline they produced is REALLY unique. For example, I really love the way that they make the level cap for Disgaea games 9999(Where can you find other games like that?) and Mana khemia's grow book system. And although its quite embarrassing to say, it took me quite a while to explore Disgaea's full feature. I mean, the number of things that you can do in that game is unbelievable.

"people who judge games on graphics suck ass its all about the story and gameplay" Oh god this. "it took me quite a while to explore Disgaea's full feature. I mean, the number of things that you can do in that game is unbelievable." As much as I love disgaea myself, some of the things in disgaea 4 are really not worth it. Baal for instance, if you can beat him in that game you are a no life. (this is 4 i'm talking about) "And although its quite embarrassing to say" Why would that be embarrassing? Btw Laharl, I finally beat Tales of Graces F main story, I liked it though I have to say I am doing the future arc and it is far more interesting - the omg Sophie are you okay blah blah -_-

Normally my interests in video games revolve around two things.

1: Something whimsical with lots of colorful characters. I don't like seriousness and monochrome graphics passed off as realistic.

2: Fighting games, regardless of anything else. I don't care how bad they are, fighting games RULE! ...That's not to say I haven't played a fighting game I didn't like, though.

I do sometimes find interest in RPGs (especially Final Fantasy Tactics style RPGs) and hack and slash games. I never EVER EVER get interested in First-Person-Shooters or anything revolving around guns in a 3D perspective.

As for the game themselves, yeah. Gameplay is most important, as well as fun-factor. There are some rare games, however, where the story or setting becomes a major turn-off for me and keeps me from having fun with the game, but I never judge the game itself solely by that, even if it keeps me from playing a game. Generally, I've never liked games where humans are antagonized by animaloid characters, which is a main reason I prefer the original Megaman series and Megaman Battle Network to Megaman X or Zero. (Regardless, Megaman X and Zero games still have great gameplay.)

I also will say that I do like RPGs, with some of my favorites including Final Fantasy Tactics, Saga Frontier, and Star Ocean: Second Story.

If it's part of a series that I really like, then I'll buy it (I don't always go for spin-off games, however). Basically Pokémon; Nintendo can have my money for the main series games (Colosseum and XD included), 'cause I really like them (only game series so far that has actually kept me wanting to play it constantly), but stuff like Pokémon Conquest, Pokémon Channel and Pokémon typing (or whatever it's called) are games that I'll most likely pass on.

I generally go by what other people have said about the game (no point getting a crappy 3/10 game like Cybertron Adventures...although, I do have that game, but I didn't buy it), but if the trailer(s) interests me, then I'll look into the game (Planetary Annihilation FTW).

I don't go by a game's graphics, unless they are God-awful and impossible to understand, and don't even bother getting overhyped FPSs like CoD. "Oh but the game's so realistic!" If you want realism, join the freaking army!

END.

If it's part of a series that I really like, then I'll buy it (I don't always go for spin-off games, however). Basically Pokémon; Nintendo can have my money for the main series games (Colosseum and XD included), 'cause I really like them (only game series so far that has actually kept me wanting to play it constantly), but stuff like Pokémon Conquest, Pokémon Channel and Pokémon typing (or whatever it's called) are games that I'll most likely pass on.

I generally go by what other people have said about the game (no point getting a crappy 3/10 game like Cybertron Adventures...although, I do have that game, but I didn't buy it), but if the trailer(s) interests me, then I'll look into the game (Planetary Annihilation FTW).

I don't go by a game's graphics, unless they are God-awful and impossible to understand, and don't even bother getting overhyped FPSs like CoD. "Oh but the game's so realistic!" If you want realism, join the freaking army!

END.

I'm actually kind of interested in Conquest. I like Pokemon, Tactics games, and you can have Bidoof/Bibarel on your team. (I don't think anyone adores Bidoof/Bibarel as much as I do.)

There are certain games where I have heard bad about, but still buy the game anyway, and sometimes enjoy said game. Amazing Island for the Gamecube is an example. I saw a review for it, which rated it poorly, but I got the game anyway because the game let you make your own monsters, and I ended up liking the game despite the low reviews it got. I'm also kind of interested in getting Spyro Skylanders, because although I've heard a lot of bad about the game, the majority of the bad I've heard of the game has mostly been bias. But I still have doubts I'd actually like the game, and the fact that people are not kidding when they said it was expensive.

As for the last bit, I agree full-heartedly.

There are certain games where I have heard bad about, but still buy the game anyway, and sometimes enjoy said game. Amazing Island for the Gamecube is an example. I saw a review for it, which rated it poorly, but I got the game anyway because the game let you make your own monsters, and I ended up liking the game despite the low reviews it got. I'm also kind of interested in getting Spyro Skylanders, because although I've heard a lot of bad about the game, the majority of the bad I've heard of the game has mostly been bias. But I still have doubts I'd actually like the game, and the fact that people are not kidding when they said it was expensive.

Although there are some games that are rated bad for a very good reason: Cybertron Adventures - the Wii's version of War for Cybertron. God-knows how they screwed up so badly with it! All you do is aim, shoot, and drive...the rest is controlled by the game (oh, and the driving bit is fixed - it's not free-roam or anything).

As for the last bit, I agree full-heartedly.

*British salute*

In my case, pretty easy man, if i'm interested in one specific game i look for some videos, reviews, renting or asking friends.

Quite an easy solution you have here, my friend. But then again, choosing a game that way may be kind of good since at most times, you usually love what your friend love right?

i usually choose my games based on the artwork from the cover, and back of the jewel box case (cd/dvd case) unless its a series i know (street fighter, resident evil for example) then i just get it with out looking.

i usually choose my games based on the artwork from the cover, and back of the jewel box case (cd/dvd case)

unless its a series i know (street fighter, resident evil for example) then i just get it with out looking.

Yeah. I do that sometimes too. Certain games have covers that REALLY attracts you to buy it, isn't it?

the way i choose games depends: -FPS i usually buy so i can play something with my friends. However I have had a major adiction to Gears of War rather it makes me rage or not. - Fighting games are my main source of games I play. Ive played most fighters and a lot has turned me off. The way I go by fighters is by how the community players plays them and how benificial and balanced it is. depending on those factors I either tryhard in it or play it casually. ex. Persona 4 Arena is a example on a game i would try hard in cause the gameplay fits my style perfectly and it has enough options to make no excuses when i win or lose. Marvel vs Capcom i would play casualy due to the game being unfair. I usually play it just for the characters and combos but the thing that makes it a turn off is poor defense options and zoning dominate. -RPG's im starting to get more into so any J RPG(especially Dragon Quest) I will automatically try. everything else will probably be either out of interest or curiosity. Example of interest: Tetris, contra, sonic, Sleeping Dogs, Fire Pro Wrestling Example of curiosity: Earth Defense force, catherine, Full Auto, Training with Hanako

I usually pick games by the standard way that a lot of people use. I check out reviews, gameplay, and if I can, play a little bit of it myself. If I'm pleased with what I see, I pick it up.

Hmm... this one might help too but.. reviews huh? What I don't like about reviews are at most times, it tends to be biased.

Hmm... this one might help too but.. reviews huh? What I don't like about reviews are at most times, it tends to be biased.

One thing is to stay away from IGN reviews.They can't review a game worth anything, and are known to be paid to give good reviews. There's plenty of other review sites and videos out there to check out.

*Groans* Tell me about it. I have searched for a long time a reviewer who's not, and it's gone in vain. IGN, Gamespot, Video Game Critic, etc. They're all the same, really. Reader reviews are really your best bet.

i usually choose my games based on the artwork from the cover, and back of the jewel box case (cd/dvd case)

unless its a series i know (street fighter, resident evil for example) then i just get it with out looking.

its usually this one but sometimes its base on the demos that comes with the gaming magazines.