Wario (CvS2 Reimagining)

JtheSaltyy

This character is compatible with MUGEN 1.0 and 1.1.

Here is Wario.

= BIO =
Wario is the large, obese, muscular, greedy arch-rival of Mario. Wario's name even plays on the word "Warui" meaning "Bad" in Japanese. His first appearance would be in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins as the main antagonist of the game. For the first time, Mario's objective is to retrieve something of his own posession, and not for the benefit of someone else, like Peach or Daisy. Wario steals Mario's castle in the country of Mario Land (yes, mario owns a country) while Mario was saving Daisy in Sarasaland, and Mario had to get it back by defeating Wario once more. A ton of people (including Nintendo) loved the idea of an anti mario (that wasn't bowser), so they elaborated more on Wario's backstory, saying that he was bullied by Mario during childhood, with one example being Wario and Mario playing as sheriff and robber. Wario ended up being the robber 1,255 times, and was only the sheriff once, and when he did get that chance, Mario made fun of him every chance he got. You can probably tell how much of a mental scar that would have caused, although his obsession for money had been there since Wario was an infant, as he used a giant magnet to trap riches in Yoshi's Island DS, a game pre-dating even Mario Bros. from 1983.  He even fought with Baby Bowser over a giant tub of gold during the ending of the game. Eventually, he got his own spin-off series in Wario Land and WarioWare, which turned Wario from another villain riding the Mario hate train, to an anti-hero who only does good deeds if it is for his own benefit, without caring if it benefits for anyone else besides him, which definitely added more depth and character to what was previously a monotonous bizarro clone. At least Nintendo treats him like an actual character in the Mario universe, and get's a spot in pretty much every game Mario has been in (aside from the main-line mario series), which is unfortunately not true for his partner in purple ;(

= GAMEPLAY =
This Wario plays nothing like other versions of M.U.G.E.N Wario. He has a CvS2 game play style, with a more refined combo system, particularly with Wall Bounces, which now has a whole new combo system added to it. Wario's moves are kept the same from the original Warner version, so he has the Fire Shot, Super Spring, Hyper Punch, and Shoulder Tackle. I decided to add little nuances in these moves, such as the fact that you can cancel Light Shoulder Tackle into Medium Shoulder Tackle into Heavy Shoulder Tackle into EX Shoulder Tackle. It makes the combos look so much better. While this Wario uses Warner's sprites, you can see I have made some edits to them, particularly with his clothing and his face. I changed the eyes to a black circle with a white dot in the center like he normally does, instead of the small black pixel Warner uses. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just that I think it looks somewhat better on Wario. A new mechanic Wario has is the Super Fart. This move works exactly like his Down B in Super Smash Brothers. If he hits his opponent or gets hit by the opponent, his fart meter slowly charges up. You can perform the super fart at any time, but the fart meter you've built up to that point determines the strength of your super fart, with the maximum super fart dealing 50% damage. His AI has been completely refurbished. It is much more advanced and bugs with the previous old AI is removed. Needless to say, I hope that this is the best MUGEN Wario out there. The POTS Hit sparks and Hit sounds are present by default, but you can change that via the configuration file.

LINK

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kpozdu4vo5t4zin/Wario.zip/file

That is about it. I hope you enjoy this character.

Who do you want to see next?

for
M.U.G.E.N 1.0/1.1

by
JtheSaltyy

enjoy!

I'm gonna go ahead and gather what's been said on the Discord since release count this all as feedback.

• Hitboxes could use some work.

unknown.png?width=342&height=341

• Basic punching combos and Fire Throw can lead to infinites
  • This move is supposed to hit, but fails to

mugen104.png?width=578&height=433

mugen105.png?width=578&height=433

• This is supposed to go behind the enemy, but this isn't great in corners.

mugen109.png?width=578&height=433

mugen113.png?width=578&height=433

• DEBUG FLOOD.

unknown.png?width=283&height=121

• Apparently one of Wario's moves can make characters disappear, might be a slight error

mugen133.png?width=578&height=433

• Another broken move

mugen163.png?width=578&height=433

• Something in the Fart Meter's coding is making this character not run right in 1.0. (Top screenshot is Watcher of MUGEN's, bottom one is mine)

6-28-2020_2-06-59_PM.png?width=436&heigh

wawhoops.png?width=548&height=434

• Fart Meter still displays during Wario Apparition, which I will admit isn't a bad move choice, despite being a stale meme now.

mugen199.png?width=578&height=433

• Speaking of the move, blocking it isn't a good idea.

mugen204.png?width=578&height=433

• Uh... Should I ask what's wrong with the armor?

mugen205.png?width=578&height=433

mugen207.png?width=578&height=433

• Quoted from Dissidia (who provides a good bit of the screenshots): If "Wario Apparition" is done on corner, it takes longer.
  • Also related to the move, Wario can be hit during it. (Someone tested it with an edit of Supermystery's Sonic.)
  • And performing the move mid-air can break it with a wallbounce.
  • Whoops...

mugen246.png?width=578&height=433

That's all I paid attention to before I gave up looking. Long story short: Wario is pretty broken and needs more polishing. He does have a lot of potential, however.

-Garfieldfan (and some members of the MFFA Discord)

Okay, so I have read the feedback you have given me, and I have fixed the following bugs:

• Hitboxes have been updated (I used the ones from Warner's Wario so they may have been outdated)
  • Infinites have been removed
  • EX Shoulder Tackle now hits from any distance
  • Wario now properly does his EX Hyper Punch in the corner
  • Debug Flow has been removed
  • Fart Meter now properly displays
  • Wario now works properly in 1.0 version
  • Wario cannot be hit during Wario Apparition
  • Block Stun glitch removed in Wario Apparition
  • Wario Apparition length fixed in corner (however, the overall length depends on how big the opponent's run/walk hitbox is)
  • Wario Apparition cannot be broken in the air w/wall bounce
  • I don't know about the A.HK making the opponent disappear. I tried it on loads of characters that are not mine and it works just fine. It could be possibly because they lack certain sprites that the ground bounce animation requires, which should be common across every MUGEN character.

That's about it. Thank you very much for the feedback.

Here is a link to the updated version:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kpozdu4vo5t4zin/Wario.zip/file

WARIO CVS2 UPDATE

• Wario gets a new super, the Greatest Achievements super. This super replaces the Wario Apparition, with a different command, that being QCF, QCB, QCF, Punch.
  • An improved combo system
  • Improved AI
  • Some random fixes

Here's the download link:

enjoy!

• 1 month later...

This edit is pretty good I must say, but I decided to take my time and edit him a bit further, maybe you could include the changes done in my edit to future updates of this edit.

I've made quite a few changes, which are as follows

-Changed the select portrait and first palette to that of Warner's Wario
-Changed the Game Boy Color Wario palette to have more flat colors
-Reduced the animation speed of the EX Hyper Punch contact animation, as well as added hitboxes to the end of it
-Added the Mario Kart 64 Victory theme during his victory poses
-Changed the intro laugh to his Mario Kart 64 one, as well as reduce the animation time
-Trimmed the audio of the Greatest Achievement hyper, which greatly reduced file size of the .snd file (it's around 8 MB as oppose to around 26 MB)
-Removed the palettes folder as since the edit is 1.0 and above, the .act files are not needed
-Changed one of his hurt sounds
-Changed the light fart animation to include a bit of lip syncing

-Fixed some errors that Fighter Factory detected, like the character using the non-existing statetime trigger

-Fixed the flooring of the hallway for the greatest achievement hyper from not being tall enough for certain stages

-Fixed his taunt sprites from having miscolored pixels

-Fixed the Triple Fire Shot hyper from giving back power, also removed the dust from the fire projectiles

-Added burned, inflated and baby sprites, all from Warner's Wario

The edit can be downloaded here
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rlidarbaim55v3z/file

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

UPDATES

----------------

I have received a post on this topic from The 14th Doctor, claiming that they have made an edit of Wario. Doctor listed out a bunch of new changes, and after reading them all and testing, I must say, a very solid edit, and a massive improvement on the character as a whole. Doctor requested that I possibly add these changes in to a future update of Wario. Well, Doctor, if you're reading this, then yes, I am including some of your changes. When I mean some, I mean that. Some changes were put in, and some were left out. Here are the changes that have been added in, directly quoted from Doctor's post:

-Reduced the animation speed of the EX Hyper Punch contact animation, as well as added hitboxes to the end of it
-Changed the intro laugh to his Mario Kart 64 one, as well as reduce the animation time
-Trimmed the audio of the Greatest Achievement hyper, which greatly reduced file size of the .snd file (it's around 8 MB as oppose to around 26 MB)
-Changed one of his hurt sounds
-Changed the light fart animation to include a bit of lip syncing

-Fixed some errors that Fighter Factory detected, like the character using the non-existing statetime trigger

-Fixed the flooring of the hallway for the greatest achievement hyper from not being tall enough for certain stages

-Fixed his taunt sprites from having miscolored pixels

-Fixed the Triple Fire Shot hyper from giving back power

-Added burned, inflated and baby sprites, all from Warner's Wario

These changes will be present in this update of Wario, but if you refer to his post, I did leave some out. This was intentional, and I'll explain why.

For the select screen portrait, I wanted to make this Wario stand out from Warner's, and by having a more updated version of his select screen portrait, I can achieve that, and just having it be Warner's portrait defeats the purpose I am trying to go for. In terms of the Gameboy palette, while giving it flat colors is a nice touch, I wanted to fit the theme of the palettes I already had. It's just an odd one of the bunch, and it's best if I have the colors hue shift and have contrast instead. The Mario Kart 64 victory theme playing during Wario's wins is cool, but again, I don't really see it to be that necessary. His win poses, in my opinion, were absolutely 100% fine as they were, and I didn't want to make it too based on Warner's version of Wario. Also, I am aware that 1.0 does not require .act files for the palettes, but I have them there because I want people to have access to those palettes right at their disposal. It'd save the trouble of having to manually extract them for people who want the act files for those palettes. In addition, I wanted to change the 1st Palette to the one I still have at the moment. This also has to do with the fact that I'm not trying to make this too based on Warner's Wario. However, there is actually some Warner Wario palettes in there, if you sift through his palettes. You need the palette selector enabled to access them. Finally, the dust under the projectiles was a distinct visual design choice that I particularly liked, so I wanted to keep it, just because I like it being there.

That's about it. The changes that weren't included were just minor stuff. However, I would like to thank you 14th Doctor for making that edit. I really appreciate the help  : )

On top of those updates, I included a couple of personal updates of mine. They are as follows:

-Added Roll Cancelling that was present in my more recent projects

-Fixed the Custom Combo spark to emulate CvS2 more

-Fixed some aspects of the combo system, added a couple of refinements

-Fixed some bugs with Wall Bounce sparks

-Fixed some bugs with transparency and the Finest KO screen

That's about it. This update is overall a very good one. Again, thank you so much 14th Doctor for making that edit. I kept the "edits made by the 14th Doctor" in the def file for the credit.

Have a good day all, and stay epic  : )