Scizor [01/25/2023]

N_N

[Preview]

cN5qLhL.gif

[Download]

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o1px1jl16wt3j7a/scizor-v1.25_012523.rar/file

[Comments]

The idea of creating a Scizor has crossed my head for a while as he's one of my favorite Pokemon, so I made one. Feedback would be great.

CHANGELOG BELOW:

Spoiler

;-----------------------------------------
;Version 1.25 (01/25/2023)
- AI! It's a little inconsistent, but now the CPU actually has something to do!
- (Hopefully) got rid of debug errors related to the super armor coding
- Made it so that the opponent doesn't get killed until the third hit of Scizor's throw. It's less awkward that way.
- Slightly decreased the air hitvels on some of Scizor's normals
- Made Scizor's standing normals able to be blocked in the air

;Version 1.2 (01/04/2023)
- PROPER blood effects
- Scizor now uses an EnvColor during his hypers
- The startup to Iron Meteor Dive now moves Scizor forward very, very slightly
- Sped up the LP version of Iron Head a good amount, but nerfed its damage a little
- Made Scizor fall slightly faster during both versions of Quick Attack
- Made the MP version of Quick Attack untechable against aerial opponents
- It now takes 1 extra frame for opponents to recover from X-Scissor
- Slash/energy effects now disappear when Scizor gets hit
- Added numhits = 0 to Scizor's throws
- Added EnvShakes (most of them subtle) to most of Scizor's attacks
- Corrected a few animtypes on some attacks
- Buffed Brick Break some more by increasing its damage and making it even safer
- You can now cancel Brick Break (upon OTGing) and 2y into a jump. Not a Super Jump or anything, a regular jump.
- Slightly raised yaccel value on 2y, but slightly reduced its y ground.velocity value
- Slightly reduced yaccel value on 2b
- Reworked j.y and j.b a little. If you hit an aerial opponent with either move by themselves, they simply fall down like if you used any other air normal. You have to chain into them in order for them to send P2 flying to the ground.
- Slightly raised life stat (1000 -> 1025)
- Updated underground juggle prevention code, squashing a particularly notable bug where, say, if you hit P2 with a normal right before they hit the ground and then used MP Quick Attack, they went flying
- Oh, and there's something that happens when you use one of Scizor's other palettes. I forgot what it is though...

;Version 1.1 (11/23/2022)
- Added a new level 3 hyper, Iron Meteor Dive
- Added a couple of new effects to level 3 hypers to help set them apart from level 1s
- Made the afterimages stop on Quick Attack and Superpower if they happened to be blocked
- Added particle effects to Scizor's power charge
- Removed the overhead property from Brick Break, but made it much safer on block
- Slightly increased the range some more on most of Scizor's normals
- Added 2 more palettes

;Version 1.0 (11/14/2022)
- HYPERS! 3 of them! See the movelist for more info
- Added a couple new mechanics: a dodge, a roll, and a power charge
- Even more effects!
- Added a hitstun decay system
- Made the damage dampener even less limiting
- Scizor now goes into statetype = A on U-Turn as soon as he enters the air
- Buffed Iron Head
    - Slightly increased its range
    - Gave super armor to the LP version's startup
    - Slightly increased the fall.recovertime on the LP version
- Fixed a psuedo-infinite involving Brick Break
- Remapped the command for Brick Break: it's now activated with LP, not MP
- Made it so that Brick Break's damage is no longer a consistent 50, and scales with the dampener/the Swords Dance boost instead
    - Because of this, I removed most of the custom hitstates-which mostly served as a way of achieving the consistency
- Made the MP version of Quick Attack go farther horizontally at the cost of its startup invincibility
- Increased the pausetimes on the MP version of Quick Attack and changed its hitsound for more "oomph"
- Decreased the hit velocities on the MP version of Quick Attack as well as the yaccel value
- Fixed the Swords Dance display from not appearing on P2's side
- Redesigned the timer displays
- Slightly buffed X-Scissor
    - Slightly increased its horizontal range
    - Slightly decreased its cooldown
- Made the air dashes floatier, at the cost of some horizontal distance
- Removed the ability for Scizor to use the air dashes extremely close to the ground
- Slightly streamlined the CLSNs for anims 412 and 413
- Throw is now affected by the damage dampener
- Decreased startup on 5a and all the air normals
- Removed the width sctrl from 5b because it was a little useless
- Buffed 5a by increasing the range and making it safer on block
- Made 2a and 2x only able to be guarded low
- Increased range on 5b, 2a, 2b, 2x, and 2y, more so the first three
- Made it possible to chain 2x into 2b
- Made it possible to chain 2b into specials and hypers
- Added a new intro
- Added a new winpose
- Fixed misaligned walking sprites
- Changed big portrait
- Modified small portrait
- Closed Scizor's eyes on the dizzy animation

;Beta 2.5 (10/14/2022)
- Made the damage dampener much, much less limiting
- Added more effects and upgraded some of the preexisting ones
- Buffed U-Turn a little
    - Made the recoil less severe on hit
    - Made it able to destroy projectiles
    - Made it so that the enemy bounces a little higher off the wall after being hit
    - Made it possible for Scizor to cancel air normals into U-Turn
- Removed the super armor from the LP version of Iron Head and gave it to the MP version
- Prevented the dust effect on U-Turn from appearing if Scizor performed the move in the air
- Changed Quick Attack up a little
    - Made the LP version safer
    - Made it possible for opponents to guard the light version of Quick Attack in the air
    - Removed the ability for Scizor to use it in the air
    - Slightly buffed the damage on the MP version
- Reworked Swords Dance
    - Scizor will now only gain the boost *after* the animation finishes, though the animation is now much faster to compensate for this
    - The boost no longer goes away after one hit, as it's now timer-based instead (going away after 2.75 seconds)
    - Slightly increased the boost itself
- Fixed opponents going below the ground when hit by X-Scissor at a certain point in the air
- Gave Brick Break more priority
- Decreased startup on j.y and j.b
- Made j.b look smoother
- Increased the range on some of Scizor's normals
- Removed "air.fall = 1" from most of Scizor's normals
- Scizor no longer automatically faces the opponent when performing his air normals
- Realigned the slash effects on 5b and 2y
- Fixed some miscolored sprites

;Beta 2.01 (09/08/2022)
- Added a few failsafes to a couple of custom hitstates dealing with ChangeAnim. This is because Elecbyte classifies a few of the anims I use (like 5051) as optional, and true enough I've seen characters go without them. Now, if the opponent doesn't have any of these animations, they'll instead go into a custom anim via ChangeAnim2
    - Moves affected by this: 2y, X-Scissor
- Fixed a typo on the ChangeAnim in one of the X-Scissor custom hitstates
- Fixed the pal.defaults part of the .def listing nonexistent palette numbers

;Beta 2 (09/07/2022)

- Adjusted a whole ton of hitboxes:
    - Hitboxes for ground animations no longer go below the ground.
    - Made the hitboxes on 5y's cooldown last 2 ticks longer
    - 2y's hitbox has been changed to counter jump-ins more.
    - The duration of the hitbox that appears on 2y's cooldown has been decreased by 5 ticks.
    - X-Scissor's hitbox has been changed to accompany the fact that it no longer uses a helper.
    - Fixed the CLSNs on the liedown getup and dizzy animations
    - Added some extra hitboxes to Iron Head's cooldown
- Increased a lot of the hit vels
- U-Turn is now active for a much shorter period of time
- Differentiated versions of Iron Head more: the MP version is now stronger, but no longer has super armor
- Scizor can now be thrown during Iron Head
- Scizor now also has only one hit of super armor during Iron Head, as opposed to an infinite amount
- Added 3 more ticks of startup to MP version of Quick Attack
- MP version of Quick Attack now idles 3 ticks later
- Quick Attack's damage has been increased to 57 from 45 (LP version) and 69 from 55 (MP version)
- Quick Attack now automatically idles after 14 ticks, no matter what
- Ground slidetimes and hittimes increased to 26 from 20 for the MP version of Quick Attack
- Added dust FX to Swords Dance
- Swords Dance's buff now comes out on frame 3 instead of 1
- The opponent can now hit Scizor during Swords Dance to remove the buff
- X-Scissor has been completely overhauled. It now functions a lot more smoothly
- Opponents during X-Scissor now use SelfState instead of ChangeState for non-custom states
- Reduced Brick Break's damage from 60 to 50
- Got rid of the variable that was attempting to bypass fall.defence_up and replaced it with something much more conventional
- Throw changed so it doesn't send opponents backwards. It can also be done with both direction keys now
- Added "whoosh" sound to throw
- Changed the animation on 8b
- Guard slidetimes and hittimes changed for the following moves:
    - 5y, 5b, 2y (increased by 4 ticks)
    - 2b, Quick Attack (increased by 2 ticks)
- Cooldown for 5b has been decreased by 1 tick
- Scizor's air dash has been made slightly floatier
- Run-related changes:
    - Can now attack while running.
    - Effects added
    - No longer goes in the air (caused everything to go wack)
- Updated a few effects and added some more
- Added a new portrait

And feedback you shall get, based on the small amount of time I spent testing it.

• ReadMe/movelist would be much appreciated.
  • Ground hurtbox doesn't need to extend past the ground.
  • Forward dash should probably have the same landing effects as his back hop considering it visually looks like he's leaping forward, even if functionally he isn't.
    • Seems strange that you can't act out of forward dash when you can out of his air dashes and back hop.
  • His heavy Normals are mighty unsafe on block despite being on the slow side.
  • Given that 2Y is an uppercut of sorts, it's odd that it gets cleanly beaten out by jump-ins; actually, its priority is pretty awful all things considered, especially with that large lingering hurtbox after the active frames.
  • Kinda sucks that j.5B is just a slower (frame 11 compared to frame 5), more powerful version of j.5A, right down to it using exactly the same hit/hurtboxes; the startup frames also doesn't look much different to the regular jump frames, so it's difficult to even tell he's doing anything.
  • Odd that he only has a forward throw, especially because it throws the opponent backwards.
  • At worst, Quick Attack X is -12 on hit, Y is -24 on hit, unless the opponent is in the air, which is a hard knockdown for X, yet a techable one for Y...?
    • It's also pretty weak.
  • I feel you should be able to at least grab Scizor out of Iron Head, especially if he's going to have permanent armour during the entire move.
    • On that note, I personally think he should only have one or two hits of armour, not permanent armour.
    • Should probably differentiate both versions a bit more than just distance travelled and damage dealt, especially since they have the same frame data.
  • X-Scissor, well...
    • Grounded opponent doesn't SelfState when hit.
    • It looks really odd against a jumping opponent.
    • Jumping opponent doesn't SelfState if hit too close to the ground.
    • B version doesn't seem worth it since while it has more hitstun, it does less damage and both versions are -1 on hit anyway.
    • I'm not sure why you needed to make the hitbox a Helper, especially when it'd be more mechanically sound to have the root handle the custom stating.
    • It's also pretty weak.
  • Swords Dance seems pretty good considering the buff occurs on frame 1, thus persisting even if you're hit during the rest of the move.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Though I could've sworn I included a readme in the archive. I'll get right to updating him.

Also one more thing, there wasn't much I could do with 8B, as the original only had 1 jumping kick animation (yeah, maybe I lied about the original having "plenty of sprites"). Hence why it looks so much like 8A. I'll try and do something about that though.

• 2 years later...

After nearly 3 years Scizor has been UPDATED! While he still doesn't have any hypers yet, this update addresses Plas's feedback and then some, making him feel like a much more complete character overall.

Changelog:

Spoiler

;Beta 2 (09/07/2022)

- Adjusted a whole ton of hitboxes:
    - Hitboxes for ground animations no longer go below the ground.
    - Made the hitboxes on 5y's cooldown last 2 ticks longer
    - 2y's hitbox has been changed to counter jump-ins more.
    - The duration of the hitbox that appears on 2y's cooldown has been decreased by 5 ticks.
    - X-Scissor's hitbox has been changed to accompany the fact that it no longer uses a helper.
    - Fixed the CLSNs on the liedown getup and dizzy animations
    - Added some extra hitboxes to Iron Head's cooldown
- Increased a lot of the hit vels
- U-Turn is now active for a much shorter period of time
- Differentiated versions of Iron Head more: the MP version is now stronger, but no longer has super armor
- Scizor can now be thrown during Iron Head
- Scizor now also has only one hit of super armor during Iron Head, as opposed to an infinite amount
- Added 3 more ticks of startup to MP version of Quick Attack
- MP version of Quick Attack now idles 3 ticks later
- Quick Attack's damage has been increased to 57 from 45 (LP version) and 69 from 55 (MP version)
- Quick Attack now automatically idles after 14 ticks, no matter what
- Ground slidetimes and hittimes increased to 26 from 20 for the MP version of Quick Attack
- Added dust FX to Swords Dance
- Swords Dance's buff now comes out on frame 3 instead of 1
- The opponent can now hit Scizor during Swords Dance to remove the buff
- X-Scissor has been completely overhauled. It now functions a lot more smoothly
- Opponents during X-Scissor now use SelfState instead of ChangeState for non-custom states
- Reduced Brick Break's damage from 60 to 50
- Got rid of the variable that was attempting to bypass fall.defence_up and replaced it with something much more conventional
- Throw changed so it doesn't send opponents backwards. It can also be done with both direction keys now
- Added "whoosh" sound to throw
- Changed the animation on 8b
- Guard slidetimes and hittimes changed for the following moves:
    - 5y, 5b, 2y (increased by 4 ticks)
    - 2b, Quick Attack (increased by 2 ticks)
- Cooldown for 5b has been decreased by 1 tick
- Scizor's air dash has been made slightly floatier
- Run-related changes:
    - Can now attack while running.
    - Effects added
    - No longer goes in the air (caused everything to go wack)
- Updated a few effects and added some more
- Added a new portrait

Link in the OP! I promise the next update's not going to take another 3 years.

Scizor has been VERY slightly updated. I noticed a couple of bugs so I sought out to squash them. Specifics below:

Spoiler

;Beta 2.01 (09/08/2022)
- Added a few failsafes to a couple of custom hitstates dealing with ChangeAnim. This is because Elecbyte classifies a few of the anims I use (like 5051) as optional, and true enough I've seen characters go without them. Now, if the opponent doesn't have any of these animations, they'll instead go into a custom anim via ChangeAnim2
    - Moves affected by this: 2y, X-Scissor
- Fixed a typo on the ChangeAnim in one of the X-Scissor custom hitstates
- Fixed the pal.defaults part of the .def listing nonexistent palette numbers

Since this is such a minor update, you can either download this patch if you've already downloaded Beta 2, or if you feel like it you can just redownload the entire character from the OP.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have a few problems after some testing. I don't have enough knowledge to go through anything more technical, but there is some stuff I can throw in:

- What is the point of having two dash moves? I feel like U-Turn is completely pointless when Quick Attack exists, the moves are too similar with little change between them and Quick Attack is just more versatile.

- LP Quick Attack is punishable on hit if the enemy is standing when hit.

- The character has very little range, I think having some flashy effects near his (I assume its a male Scizor, based on the abdomen size) claws would help increase the range of his attacks a bit.

- Swords Dance is completely pointless, it takes forever to give a small increase in the damage of ONE attack.

- Speaking of damage, the character's overall damage is minuscule. I understand its a beta and there are no hypers, but even a simple combo of air HK > standing LP > standing HP > LP Quick Attack deals a very small amount of damage.

1 hour ago, Macaulyn97 said:

So, I have a few problems after some testing. I don't have enough knowledge to go through anything more technical, but there is some stuff I can throw in:

- What is the point of having two dash moves? I feel like U-Turn is completely pointless when Quick Attack exists, the moves are too similar with little change between them and Quick Attack is just more versatile.

- LP Quick Attack is punishable on hit if the enemy is standing when hit.

- The character has very little range, I think having some flashy effects near his (I assume its a male Scizor, based on the abdomen size) claws would help increase the range of his attacks a bit.

- Swords Dance is completely pointless, it takes forever to give a small increase in the damage of ONE attack.

- Speaking of damage, the character's overall damage is minuscule. I understand its a beta and there are no hypers, but even a simple combo of air HK > standing LP > standing HP > LP Quick Attack deals a very small amount of damage.

Thank you for the feedback!

- Yeah in hindsight I agree that U-Turn is a little pointless. I could try making it easier to perform followups after the enemy bounces off the wall.
- Will fix
- Noted, any attacks in particular you think need a range boost? (and yeah he's a male)
- Noted, I'll try speeding up the animation a bit. That or rework the boost so that it lasts for a set amount of time instead of disappearing after a single attack

- Noted, I think the values I set for my damage dampener were a little too restrictive. I'll see what I can do

17 hours ago, N_N said:

- Noted, any attacks in particular you think need a range boost? (and yeah he's a male)
- Noted, I'll try speeding up the animation a bit. That or rework the boost so that it lasts for a set amount of time instead of disappearing after a single attack

- I'd say his normals, particularly his standing ones, are in need of range boosts.

- I think Swords Dance could actually work well as a damage boosting super.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Scizor once again! Unless there happens to be some really big issues that I didn't notice, this should be the final beta.
Changelog:

Spoiler

;Beta 2.5 (10/14/2022)
- Made the damage dampener much, much less limiting
- Added more effects and upgraded some of the preexisting ones
- Buffed U-Turn a little
    - Made the recoil less severe on hit
    - Made it able to destroy projectiles
    - Made it so that the enemy bounces a little higher off the wall after being hit
    - Made it possible for Scizor to cancel air normals into U-Turn
- Removed the super armor from the LP version of Iron Head and gave it to the MP version
- Prevented the dust effect on U-Turn from appearing if Scizor performed the move in the air
- Changed Quick Attack up a little
    - Made the LP version safer
    - Made it possible for opponents to guard the light version of Quick Attack in the air
    - Removed the ability for Scizor to use it in the air
    - Slightly buffed the damage on the MP version
- Reworked Swords Dance
    - Scizor will now only gain the boost *after* the animation finishes, though the animation is now much faster to compensate for this
    - The boost no longer goes away after one hit, as it's now timer-based instead (going away after 2.75 seconds)
    - Slightly increased the boost itself
- Fixed opponents going below the ground when hit by X-Scissor at a certain point in the air
- Gave Brick Break more priority
- Decreased startup on j.y and j.b
- Made j.b look smoother
- Increased the range on some of Scizor's normals
- Removed "air.fall = 1" from most of Scizor's normals
- Scizor no longer automatically faces the opponent when performing his air normals
- Realigned the slash effects on 5b and 2y
- Fixed some miscolored sprites

Link in the OP per usual

• 5 weeks later...

Scizor has gotten another update, and with it he's finally out of beta! He actually has hypers now!
Changelog:

Spoiler

;Version 1.0 (11/14/2022)
- HYPERS! 3 of them! See the movelist for more info
- Added a couple new mechanics: a dodge, a roll, and a power charge
- Even more effects!
- Added a hitstun decay system
- Made the damage dampener even less limiting
- Scizor now goes into statetype = A on U-Turn as soon as he enters the air
- Buffed Iron Head
    - Slightly increased its range
    - Gave super armor to the LP version's startup
    - Slightly increased the fall.recovertime on the LP version
- Fixed a psuedo-infinite involving Brick Break
- Remapped the command for Brick Break: it's now activated with LP, not MP
- Made it so that Brick Break's damage is no longer a consistent 50, and scales with the dampener/the Swords Dance boost instead
    - Because of this, I removed most of the custom hitstates-which mostly served as a way of achieving the consistency
- Made the MP version of Quick Attack go farther horizontally at the cost of its startup invincibility
- Increased the pausetimes on the MP version of Quick Attack and changed its hitsound for more "oomph"
- Decreased the hit velocities on the MP version of Quick Attack as well as the yaccel value
- Fixed the Swords Dance display from not appearing on P2's side
- Redesigned the timer displays
- Slightly buffed X-Scissor
    - Slightly increased its horizontal range
    - Slightly decreased its cooldown
- Made the air dashes floatier, at the cost of some horizontal distance
- Removed the ability for Scizor to use the air dashes extremely close to the ground
- Slightly streamlined the CLSNs for anims 412 and 413
- Throw is now affected by the damage dampener
- Decreased startup on 5a and all the air normals
- Removed the width sctrl from 5b because it was a little useless
- Buffed 5a by increasing the range and making it safer on block
- Made 2a and 2x only able to be guarded low
- Increased range on 5b, 2a, 2b, 2x, and 2y, more so the first three
- Made it possible to chain 2x into 2b
- Made it possible to chain 2b into specials and hypers
- Added a new intro
- Added a new winpose
- Fixed misaligned walking sprites
- Changed big portrait
- Modified small portrait
- Closed Scizor's eyes on the dizzy animation

Link in the OP

• 1 month later...

No idea why I didn't announce this sooner but Scizor has been updated again! Should feel a little faster/smoother now.

Changelog:

Spoiler

;Version 1.2 (01/04/2023)
- PROPER blood effects
- Scizor now uses an EnvColor during his hypers
- The startup to Iron Meteor Dive now moves Scizor forward very, very slightly
- Sped up the LP version of Iron Head a good amount, but nerfed its damage a little
- Made Scizor fall slightly faster during both versions of Quick Attack
- Made the MP version of Quick Attack untechable against aerial opponents
- It now takes 1 extra frame for opponents to recover from X-Scissor
- Slash/energy effects now disappear when Scizor gets hit
- Added numhits = 0 to Scizor's throws
- Added EnvShakes (most of them subtle) to most of Scizor's attacks
- Corrected a few animtypes on some attacks
- Buffed Brick Break some more by increasing its damage and making it even safer
- You can now cancel Brick Break (upon OTGing) and 2y into a jump. Not a Super Jump or anything, a regular jump.
- Slightly raised yaccel value on 2y, but slightly reduced its y ground.velocity value
- Slightly reduced yaccel value on 2b
- Reworked j.y and j.b a little. If you hit an aerial opponent with either move by themselves, they simply fall down like if you used any other air normal. You have to chain into them in order for them to send P2 flying to the ground.
- Slightly raised life stat (1000 -> 1025)
- Updated underground juggle prevention code, squashing a particularly notable bug where, say, if you hit P2 with a normal right before they hit the ground and then used MP Quick Attack, they went flying
- Oh, and there's something that happens when you use one of Scizor's other palettes. I forgot what it is though...

Link can be found in the OP as usual

• 2 weeks later...

Scizor has received yet another update, and now has an AI! There are a few other changes too but they're pretty minor.

Changelog:

Spoiler

;Version 1.25 (01/25/2023)
- AI! It's a little inconsistent, but now the CPU actually has something to do!
- (Hopefully) got rid of debug errors related to the super armor coding
- Made it so that the opponent doesn't get killed until the third hit of Scizor's throw. It's less awkward that way.
- Slightly decreased the air hitvels on some of Scizor's normals
- Made Scizor's standing normals able to be blocked in the air

Link in the OP-as usual, feedback and suggestions are very welcome