Wario WIP by RobotMonkeyHead

Idk what to think about the coal super currently how it works is kind of bad but thats cause its not done being coded I am guessing.

waiting for motorcycle sprites.

one of his punches seems to skip the changestate sometimes, apologies but I can't repeat this bug or I would.

I really like the super backround you got can't wait for that to replace the horrible mvc crap on all of em.

his air B kick loops you should probably make the last frame -1

I was going to try this last night but got to caught up with my new ps4 so I apologize I got to it this afternoon tho! Curious if you are planning to readd the sprites without the filter cause honestly it doesn't need it. I actually went and bought warioland shake it and played it the sprites are so nice.

The coal hyper actually works the way it does intentionally.  What don't you like about it?

I'll fix the air floaty coal thing.  The reason I have it set up the way I do is for timing it tactically.  Once the coal bursts into flames, you can touch it whenever you want and start the hyper.  So you could do a couple of things.  For example you could set the flaming coal up behind you when you go in for a combo, so if its blocked or if the opponent counter hits you it will knock you into the coal triggering the hyper as a counter strike.  Another thing is you can drop the coal between you and the opponent, throw a fireball / bobomb, and then immediately run into the coal so the projectile and hyper hit at nearly the same time.  You can also use the flaming coal as a barrier between you and the opponent.   There are more tactical advantages to it, but those are some of the main reasons I have it set up this way.

Also, responses to the rest of the feedback:

the motorcycle sprites are done, but I'm going to finish the hypers before I go back to revamp the specials again.  Sorry, there's a lot of unfinished shit still hanging around in the beta.

I'll check through his punches and see if I can find it.

Thanks...  I want to get them to light up orange (almost sunset like) on a hyper ko.  Palette fx probably.

His jumping fierce kick is 3 kicks in a row, each one is slightly different. It does look weird tho, I agree.  I've been considering replacing it.

I spent soooooo fucking long on the sprites, there's no way I'm going back to the originals at this point.  Ultimately tho, that's just a palette issue in the end, and I do plan to make a palette that's true to the original sprites.  IMO, the originals look great in their original context because that whole game has a certain "clay toned" color scheme, and outside of Wario Land in Mugen the sprites just look greyed out.   Before I edited him Wario used the original untouched sprites.  Check him out if you want to see how they look in action.

imo the pixely pallete parts are not acceptable lol thats why I suggested it I hate to say it but I think you wasted your time on those sprites man. It actually looks really bad compared to the game itself.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion about it, but I disagree completely.  Download this Wario and try him against my edit.  This is the one I started the edit from, and the sprites it uses are the Exact sprites from Wario Land Shake it, to the pixel, color for color, no change or resizing at all whatsoever (no resizing on mine either).  If you think this one looks better than mine, then you'll be happy to know I plan to use it's colors for one of the palettes, but it's def not going to be the default.

I know the amount of work I put into them doesn't make them look any better, but there were about 7-8 days of straight 12-16 hours of work each put into getting them how I want them.  What I have here is the best I can possibly (or am willing to) do by my own standards.

There were a few problems with the originals.  Mostly that there was a lot of overlapping colors between the skin and shirt, and also between the pants and darker parts of the nose which made multiple palettes impossible (unfixable despite 3 solid days of hard effort).  On top of that there were over 256 colors used, many of which had no visible distinction.  Reducing the number of colors to around 64 (what I have now) made almost zero noticeable difference in appearance, yet makes multiple palettes actually doable.  ...well once manual color separation is done anyway, to remove the overlapping colors. 

8ywbRuV.pngZuu99cn.png(e.g. Original sized sprites directly from Shake It.  One of these is 256 colors, the other is 64.  Can you tell the difference?)

Once that was done, there was the problem of the sprites looking kind of greyed out in mugen, because Wario Land Shake It had a certain "clay toned" color scheme to the whole thing, which looked a bit sketchy when Wario was blown up to Mugen scale.  The filters I added (which make the Only visible difference between my sprites and the ones in the actual game) applied purely to the colors, for palettes sake, to make him more vivid.  They did nothing to the pixel arrangement.  Granted I do plan to darken the skin and lighten the shoes a tiny bit in the final version, here's an example:

Zuu99cn.pngzJ7Twm4.png(e.g. Original vs filtered.)

Once the "original palette" I mentioned above is added, they will essentially be the exact sprites from the game if you select that palette.  Personally I don't feel at all like I've wasted my time on them. I'm happy with how they came out.  Sorry to hear you disapprove tho. I'm not sure what you would do differently.  It sounds to me like Ghost Killer might have just overestimated the size of the original sprites, and gotten your hopes up. If I thought I could have done better I would have, but all things considered, I'm keepin what I got.

EDIT:
Sorry for the ramble, it's just that I put a lot of time into them, so there was a lot I wanted to say.

The Gimme Your Lunch Money hyper is basically finished.  A few kinks to work out regarding the superpause, and the fact that the hyper bg uses "time" to scale and rotate pretty much everything...  anyway:

Level 3 hyper.  Avg 30 coins. currently bronze coins +50 power, silver coins +25 life, gold coins +50 power and +25 life
might lower it to bronze +25 power, silver +10 life, gold +50 power and +25 life.
Much like his other throw chaining, this hyper can be chained into the spin throw instead of the normal toss at the end by pushing the spin command right before the throw executes.  Of course, the spin can then be chained into the roll, slam and toss chain for extra damage.

---
@SPRI YAR ZON - I finally figured out that you mean the hyper pile driver is causing the problems.  I thought you were talking about the regular air throw pile driver (x+y in the air).  Don't worry about that hyper pile driver, that thing hasn't been touched yet.  The code is just a jumble of shit at the moment.

I guess I'm still not clear about what exactly you thought was a waste of time.  Reducing the number of colors, or altering the palette?  What would you have done differently?

Gad you like the new hyper.  The damage is intentionally low because the coins replenish health and power. 

I remember this old thing! Glad it's still improving! I also like the new stuff you did!

The version me and flammableking did wasn't nearly as good as this. I'm glad you took an interest in this and I know he'll love all of this. I say this with all sincerity and honesty, thank you very much!

Also,

I remade my own palette a few months ago though so I don't know if you want to try out some of these shades.

6lyxjVR.gif

I basically used Luigi by warner/aperson98 green colors but flipped & inverted them using fighter factory's exchange color with color function. I did this just to match the styles a bit better. Feel free to use this if you like to, no credit to me please.

I can't wait to replace Wario in my roster! XD

Hey Ax, good to see you on this thread!  I was wondering if you or flammableking were going to stumble upon it XD  I'm glad you're liking Wario's update so far... well it's sort of turned into a major overhaul at this point.   I PMed you a beta just for the hell of it :)

I like that palette you did too, I'll def snag that as an alt for the final version.

And if you have any suggestions or things you wanted to see in the final version but never got around to or anything like that, please do post them on here.  Hell if you want to do any beta testing, I can just keep sending you the beta updates if you want? 

Again, I'm really glad you're liking his progress so far and it's great to hear from you on it!

EDIT:
Garlic Breath hyper almost finished.

Here's a fun little coding story.  So I'm trying to code a cloud of garlic breath that makes the opponent dizzy for a certain amount of time, depending on how many projectiles Wario's eaten (his garlic meter).  Seems easy enough, right?  Fucking wrong.

So at first I'm like, ok I'll just redirect the trigger to Wario's var(42) which is the garlic counter, and use that to get the value for how long they should stay dizzy.  Nope.  I gotta transfer Wario's var(42) to the burp cloud helper's var(42) as soon as it launches out of his face, in case Wario decides to burp more than once in the span of a couple seconds. 

Ok, so I'll just reference the burp cloud helpers var(42) to get the dizzy time, right?  No again.  The opponent can't redirect a trigger to Wario's helper apparently, only to his own helpers.  The plot thickens... 

I try spawning x number of explods, where x is the value of var(42), so this way the opponent can just count numexplods(id) = what ever the fuck.  Nope.  Either it won't work because of the custom state, or it just won't work.  I'm not dwelling on it.

At this point, the opponent is in a custom dizzy state, which ends when the timer hits x.  x has to be determined by the burp cloud helpers var(42).  The opponent can't 'trigger redirect' to the helper and can't count Wario's explods, so I have to get that data in to the opponent somehow on the hit def.  My first move was to go for the hit velocity, set it to var(42), set the opponents physics to neutral, and correct the position with posadd x = -vel x.  No good.  The hit velocity won't transfer through to the custom state that the hitdef puts the opponent in.  Why?  At this point why anything.

My next move is to have the opponent try to make a helper and use one of it's constants (size.height) to store the var(42) value.  Of course the helper spawned by the opponent winds up using the opponents state/anim data, not Wario's states, so that's out because I can't destroyself the helper. Shit.

Finally I realize that the ONLY variable that I can alter to smuggle in the var(42) data is the actual custom stateno that the hitdef puts p2 into.  Seeing as var(42) is only a value from 1-9 at this point I'm like fine, fuck it, I just make 9 different states that the hitdef puts the opponent into depending var(42).  It winds up looking like p2stateno = 2320 + var(42).  Then each state is simple as shit, just sets the x velocity to equal its own stateno - 2320, so the opponents vel x is finally fucking equal to var(42).  Then it changes to the damn dizzy state, where I use a combination of 'Physics = N' and 'Posadd x = -vel x' to hold the position, while using that 'vel x' to reference the garlic counter's value that was in var(42).  Finally fucking works.

Hot damn crazy ass work around much? And the worst part is this whole time I know somewhere in the back of my mind there's probably a piece of cake way to do this whole thing.  I'm still sure there is. Damn it in advance.  I think I need a cold shower.

tl;dr

Coding is a bitch sometimes.  Feel like Wiley fucking Coyote building some monstrosity of a contraption to do the simplest little thing.

As for your coding issue, I always post at Elecbyte/MFG....if possible for coding help. Usually Cyanide helps out with that and practically fixes it for me.

As for my input on Wario....I'm not really the guy to ask about making mugen characters LOL

I trust that you or anyone else knows what they are doing better than me. I didn't do much really except got it rolling. The other guys did more and better stuff including corrections. I'm confident that you can execute a superior version that is very pleasing to my friend Flammableking who started this whole wip. Unfortunately I was the only one who helped him at the time but I had hoped that others would be inspired to improve or start their own superior version that would satisfy flammableking's vision for a mugen Wario.

Also as an additional note if anyone is wondering about this is that we didn't intend to compete with Warner's Wario at all. Flammableking is just a Wario fan and he really wanted a different version. In fact he has done other Warios from other 2D console versions. If I remember correctly, I told him that Warner's Wario was pretty decent and that we didn't need to make a new wip but he was determined to have a certain kind of Wario and convinced me to assist him.

I'm glad though that you've kept this alive and even practically redid it entirely as your own better version! I'll replace my old version immediately! Thanks!

Ok well, the door remains open for suggestions at any point if you change your mind.

I like Warner's version quite a bit.  I don't see any reason to consider multiple versions of the same character as a competitive sort of thing at all anyway.  They're just 2 versions, and the more options for people the better.  I wouldn't even worry about people taking it that way if I were you, but that's just me.

Anyway on another note, I'm thinking about changing the normal dash animation, unless everyone is really against it.  The new one is custom frankensprite work by either Ax, Flammableking, or Set555, realigned by myself to match the "Flaming Wario Run" from which it was borrowed.

IIUX5lR.gif          1w3lvHo.gif        

New                                 Old

Also progress update:  Garlic Breath Hyper is finished.  Sprites are ripped for the Max Fastosity Dasherator hyper, starting coding on that tonight.  Added horizontal control to Wustache Twister by holding directionals.

Speaking of Mario Kart, there's also Wario's bike from the Smash Bros. series if you'd like to add something like that to your Wario. Also, there is his Wario Waft (Wario's fart attack) if you'd like any more ideas for his current moveset. If you decide to implement these things into your WariOverhaul (see what I did there?) I could see his bike being used as a prop for an intro/winpose. The Waft could be a super or something; you could do quite a bit with those moves. 

Anyway, that was just a suggestion. Great new running animation by the way; it looks awesome. I personally like it more than the old one (no offense to the ones who created the original running animation). Keep up the good work!

Dhillon521 just joined the beta testing team.  Thanks for gettin in on this, looking forward to hearing some fresh feedback / ideas.

---

AxSeeker & Ballsdeep69:  Yea I might pillage a few sfx from Mario Kart.  What was his special in that anyway? 
---

Ballsdeep69:  I've got his motorcycle in there right now as a special (under construction at the moment).  Charge back, forward and punch, he rides forward on it and wheelies. His "waft" has also been added as an alpha counter.  He eat's opponents projectiles, and when he does, a garlic meter appears over his head, adding 1 clove (up to 9 max) per projectile.  The fart is coded as an alpha counter, and its force / damage is determined by the garlic meter.  He also has a belching Garlic Breath hyper that uses up the garlic meter which determines the size and travel of a green cloud.  If it connects it turns the opponent green and dizzy while their life drains.

I really do appreciate the suggestions tho.  Any ideas are more than welcome at this point.  Glad you dig the run too, I gotta say it looks pretty good in action too :) 

ejd0pR7.gif

Here's a quick look at the Max Fastosity Dasherator I've thrown together over the last couple days.  The moving part had to be hand done, because the game just used some algorithm to bend / deform the original sprite.  Came out decent imo.  Took a screenshot for every frame of it's workings, loaded them into gimp, and worked very closely to recreate it as similar as possible to the original.  In game it has some rotation to it to make it rock as he fires out of it (exact angles / tics used in the game for that as well).

Dhillon521 just joined the beta testing team.  Thanks for gettin in on this, looking forward to hearing some fresh feedback / ideas.

---

AxSeeker & Ballsdeep69:  Yea I might pillage a few sfx from Mario Kart.  What was his special in that anyway? 
---

Ballsdeep69:  I've got his motorcycle in there right now as a special (under construction at the moment).  Charge back, forward and punch, he rides forward on it and wheelies. His "waft" has also been added as an alpha counter.  He eat's opponents projectiles, and when he does, a garlic meter appears over his head, adding 1 clove (up to 9 max) per projectile.  The fart is coded as an alpha counter, and its force / damage is determined by the garlic meter.  He also has a belching Garlic Breath hyper that uses up the garlic meter which determines the size and travel of a green cloud.  If it connects it turns the opponent green and dizzy while their life drains.

I really do appreciate the suggestions tho.  Any ideas are more than welcome at this point.  Glad you dig the run too, I gotta say it looks pretty good in action too :) 

ejd0pR7.gif

Here's a quick look at the Max Fastosity Dasherator I've thrown together over the last couple days.  The moving part had to be hand done, because the game just used some algorithm to bend / deform the original sprite.  Came out decent imo.  Took a screenshot for every frame of it's workings, loaded them into gimp, and worked very closely to recreate it as similar as possible to the original.  In game it has some rotation to it to make it rock as he fires out of it (exact angles / tics used in the game for that as well).

Wow, your ideas for the bike and waft sound great! That Dasherator looks top notch; it looks like it would've taken weeks to make. :) It looks beautiful.

Well, I can't take credit for creating the sprite (maybe a little for the moving funnel part, that I had to make).  I just downloaded a wii emulator that has a sprite dump function, and a Wario Land shake it rom, so the sprites are all direct from the game. 

I use that to screen capture each frame to get the motion, angels, effects right too tho.  In mugen, the dasherator has animated lights, and rotates / wobbles when it fires. FF doesn't export rotation angles or overlays to the gifs tho.

That's actually how I got the Snowman hyper accurate too.  I screenshot every single frame of the snowball, load it into gimp, overlay the snowball sprite, and get each rotation angle for each frame exact, as well as its position.  It's fucking painstaking time heavy work, but in the end it winds up looking almost identical to the source, which is what I'm after in these instances.

I'm really digging this so far, I really could use a Wario Land themed Wario in my roster ((Especially considering how little representation the games have in the SSB series)) As for ripping the sprites, You should be covered for the most part.  http://www.spriters-resource.com/wii/wariolandshakeit/sheet/33984/

I can see if I can find some of his actual voice clips too, I think the "Rock n' Roll!" clip would be perfect for his intro and all.

Thanks guys, it's really nice to hear :)

@Clownman, right now I use a mix of the sprite sheet you posted, and another sprite set which has the aligned sprites.   I've got a couple you-tube videos in line to rip voices from.  We all had a discussion about which game(s) to take his voice from a little while back.  I forget what we settled on, but I'll read back and find out when the time comes to do the sounds.

Progress update:
Almost finished with the Max Fastosity Dasherator hyper.  Again, almost identical to source (sprites, tics, rotation angels).  Pressing the command for the hyper just causes the Dasherator to appear, and both characters can jump on and off of it seamlessly.  Jump on it and press down (a la Wario Land) to enter the dasherator and begin the hyper.  Once it fires, if the other player is standing on it, they're knocked off.  Wario will be able to run back and forth until he hits a wall, or has used up a certain amount of his power meter (which will slowly drain). 

The reason for this set up is the general tactical advantages provided for Wario both in terms of additional jump height and staying off the ground.  An example of this might be when facing certain bosses (Red Dragon, Abyss) where a really high jump height can come in handy.

It just fades in directly behind Wario and fades out after it launches him, or after it's hung around for about 10 seconds without being used. 

Similar to the Flaming Wario and Snowman Wario, it only takes a little bit of power to summon the Dasherator itself.  Once it's used, Wario's power drains as he's running back and forth.  You can summon it at level 1, but if you choose to keep running back and forth, it's possible to use up your entire meter.

Characters can walk through it, or attacks can go through it.  At first I actually had it coded so nothing could pass through it but it just felt too "in the way" like less of a tactical advantage and more of a hindrance.

Like many of the other interesting variables, there is a hashtag that allows you to at least change the amount of time it hangs around for easily.  List of hashtags in the config file of course.  A system I'm actually a little proud of :) 
That line looks something like this.

time = 600   ; <- #Length of time Dasherator is present. (in 60ths of a second)

Also, here's a look at a few new processed gifs.

Squeezing into Dasherator        
raLSJtX.gif               

New win pos

kRRHhN0.gif