Diddy Kong (BETA) By Varia31 released (5/16/2019)

I wish Diddy was anything like this in Smash, that Dixie mechanic is very neat, but it looks a bit unbalanced. I remember when this WIP was first announced years ago, a bit surprising it's only now at beta however. He even got Diddy's "confused head scratch" defeat pose from the DKC games, amazing.

Main problems I see are that his standing medium kick is an infinite and that 3/4 of his specials are pretty straightforward projectiles that can't be hit (I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to make each projectile different from each other in some way, but then again, this is a beta.) Also noticed he has no overheads. I feel like the air medium punch & kick plus the Dixie summon would fit decently as such. Other than those issues, I see some potential in this character.

Hey all. Thanks for sharing this here!

@Pluscross I assume you're talking about the rage mechanic I put in for when Dixie gets hurt. Any ideas on how I could balance that better?

@Nodog By standing medium kick are you referring to his tail swings? I can remedy that. I didn't really test that enough to notice if it was an infinite or not. I can change up the projectiles a bit more so that, one, they can be hit, and two, maybe change up the properties, like the bounce of the grenade. Any other ideas are appreciated.

I apologize that Diddy took so long to even reach Beta status. The reason he took so long is due to several factors. A big part is that I lost interest in the project, dedicating more time to Optimus Prime and my Samus remake, and on top of that, as I was becoming a college senior I became so busy that I barely had time to even play video games. Now that I'm graduated I finally have more time on my hands for the time being. I actually rushed to put out this beta due to people who were asking for it. Now that I can focus, I'm actually going to be redoing some of his moves and mechanics to function better. Right now he sorely lacks reach, for one thing, along with some of the issues you all have listed so far and then some. Compared to how pleased I am with how Optimus turned out, and how Samus is coming along, I'm honestly not happy with Diddy as he is right now.

You know, after using him it's pretty difficult for A.I. to want to hit Dixie, which I guess is enough of a balance to the mechanic.

I understand your reasoning fully. Cannot wait for your revamp of all 3, thank you so much for getting him out at all.

21 hours ago, Pluscross said:

You know, after using him it's pretty difficult for A.I. to want to hit Dixie, which I guess is enough of a balance to the mechanic.

I understand your reasoning fully. Cannot wait for your revamp of all 3, thank you so much for getting him out at all.

Hmm, even so, maybe I'll do something like put a cool down so it doesn't activate every single time Dixie is hit to keep it from being abused.

No problem. I hope you look forward to the final version later! Also, "all 3?" Samus is almost done, but my Optimus Prime is already fully complete if you would like to check him out! He's available in this thread.