Wario WIP by RobotMonkeyHead

Ok, back from vaca, and back to work on Wario.  I'll post one more updated version of him for feedback before the actual release.

One of the first things I thought I noticed about the original was that the sprites looked blurry, but after visiting spriter's resource and the thread where Jackster was describing how he ripped them, I found out they're actually dumped right from the game.  It doesn't stop them from looking a bit greyed out and blurry in mugen, of course, so I plan to include a copy of the entire sprite sheet once I apply the same filters I applied to the existing sprites.  That way if anyone wants to add more stuff or edit him further, they have plenty of resources.

nice work on the character :D . The c.MK be perfect for an Air launcher for air combo

Thanks OG!  The c.MK and c.MP both have a little bit of velocity to them for the sake of his range in general.  The c.SP is actually the launcher, and the c.SK is a knock down.

NICE

Thanks!

Man, Wario looks very JPEG on that screenshot...

He doesn't look too bad in game, give him a try.  The original (link above) is really blurry tho.

Whoa, the 9000,0 icon has gone bonkers.

Yea I know, I accidentally deleted the palette for it at some point.  I just haven't gotten around to redoing it just yet. 

wow you made those sprites look way better and that list of changes is great will be trying this today :).

Thanks, hope you like.  Check out the config file too for side scroller styled jump control.  It's a little weird at first, but it's kinda fun.

This is outstanding progress! I'm giving him a spot for my MvC2 Conversion thread.

Awesome.  Been following that thread too btw, can't wait to see a DarkWolf tag styled Wario! 

VeRY NICE))) 

Thank ya, thank ya veruh much.

Forgot to put feedback. Whoops, sorry about that, considering it was my request...

Well, I forgot how I did it, but somehow I made Wario freeze in his taunt animation after I won, and he spawned a lot of clones in place until Mugen just said I won. I also randomly froze up after landing one of his punches, I don't remember which. With good timing, you can do all 3 variations of the Waststach Twisiter in one go. Also, the Ground Shake hyper (Odd Swoosh Attack hyper) can only be done mid combo. And, it's not easy to go from high block to low block when blocking a combo. The head charge hyper could probably lose a tiny bit of startup, too. (Not a lot, just a little)

I love how fluid his sprites are now, the different cannon ball trajectories, and the air fireball, too. He's a lot of fun, melee wise. Can't wait until he gets fully finished.

Todays progress was decent.  I dug through mountains of "junk code", and moved it all into a separate file.  Found 5 half finished throws that I intend to finish (including a couple air throws), and a couple hypers and specials that I intend to rework and incorporate.  I added the beginnings of a "dark wario" mode for start+ palettes, and I also started on a parry system.  Guard crush isn't far behind that.  Maybe a sort of burst move to escape combos.   

Forgot to put feedback. Whoops, sorry about that, considering it was my request...

Well, I forgot how I did it, but somehow I made Wario freeze in his taunt animation after I won, and he spawned a lot of clones in place until Mugen just said I won. I also randomly froze up after landing one of his punches, I don't remember which. With good timing, you can do all 3 variations of the Waststach Twisiter in one go. Also, the Ground Shake hyper (Odd Swoosh Attack hyper) can only be done mid combo. And, it's not easy to go from high block to low block when blocking a combo. The head charge hyper could probably lose a tiny bit of startup, too. (Not a lot, just a little)

I love how fluid his sprites are now, the different cannon ball trajectories, and the air fireball, too. He's a lot of fun, melee wise. Can't wait until he gets fully finished.

I'll see if I can replicate that winning spawn thing. 

The frozen punch was probably his medium punch.  I added a standing frame of duration 20 for the sake of the gif.  I thought I removed it on all of them but I missed that one.  Fixed now. 

The Wustache Twister is supposed to chain into itself that way.  Strong is 4 hits, medium is 3 and quick is 2.  The last hit of each knocks the opponent away, but if you chain into a weaker version before the last hit you can chain it for up to 7 hits.  It does require decent timing tho.

Yea that odd swoosh hyper thing is getting completely overhauled, I just haven't gotten there yet.

I'm not sure why it's difficult to go from high to low block while blocking a combo.  I really have no idea what could be causing that.  Any suggestions?

I'll check out the head charge hyper's start up too.

Well, I always thought that you can't block crouching attacks while guarding in your standing state, is that what you mean?

It might just be poor coded stuff that I normally play as, but I think even Kung Fu Man can do it. I mean after you get hit while blocking, (Provided there's no stunning, and assuming you're standing) you can immediately go into blocking low mid combo. It makes blocking MvC styled stuff a lot easier.

Parry system implemented (red parry possible), alpha counter in progress.  Added some code that makes switching between high and low block quicker.  More work into overhauling the cmd file.

for the burst how about a large fart lol.

That might just work.
UvmivAF.png

Todays progress was decent.  I dug through mountains of "junk code", and moved it all into a separate file.  Found 5 half finished throws that I intend to finish (including a couple air throws), and a couple hypers and specials that I intend to rework and incorporate.  I added the beginnings of a "dark wario" mode for start+ palettes, and I also started on a parry system.  Guard crush isn't far behind that.  Maybe a sort of burst move to escape combos.  

LOL, Dark Wario. 5 throws, huh? And parrying? That'll be a lot of fun once he gets finished.

Turned the Windup Punch into a focus attack a la SF4.  Hold both mediums to charge it for up to 3 levels of charge.  Each level is marked by a quick palette flash and the addition of dust / blue wind respectively.

Level 1 crumples opponent only on a counter attack, otherwise it's just a guardable knock back. 
Level 2 crumples the opponent on hit, but can also be guarded. 
Level 3 crumples opponent on guard, but (one of the differences from SF4's mechanics) on a hit it sends the opponent flying / bouncing off the wall. 

For the crumple animation I used Dizzy > Stand to Crouch > Hit Hard Crouching > Recover Hard Crouching > Lie Down.

Most ground specials (no hypers) and all basics do cancel into the focus attack, and the focus attack cancels into dashes which can be used to get close to the crumpling opponent before they fall, or to pull off focus canceling combos. 

Differences from the SF4 focus attack mechanics are that the move doesn't automatically trigger after holding the buttons for long enough and there's no super armor / hit absorb.  I figured the no armor was a fair exchange for the better timing (no auto trigger), parry and alpha cancel, seeing as it sort of works in place of those mechanics anyway.

So parry, alpha counter and focus attack have been added.  Now onto finishing up the throws, and polishing up the hypers.  From there it's just palettes, intro's and win poses.

EDIT:
And, uh, 7 throws.  4 ground, 3 air.  I'm thinking 2 of the ground throws will only be executable during another throw (a la King in Tekken), and the same for 2 of the air throws.

@Darkwolf13, the throw commands I'm using are 
QP+MP
MP+SP

QK+MK

MK+SK

Same in the air, so really the only thing you might have to change to accommodate your tag system is the focus attack, which uses both mediums.  Easy enough to switch that to both quicks.  Not that it's difficult to switch commands around, but I did actually take care not to use both fierce or all 3 punches / kicks for any of his commands.  His parry and alpha counter's can easily be disabled in the config file too.

All 4 ground throws done.  Spin, Roll, Toss and Slam.  They can be linked into each other with careful timing.  Once the air throws are done, they will be able link into the ground throws as well.  Throw linking can be toggled in the config file.

Trying to find a good free screen recorder for mac so I can post a video update...

Is the link in the first post the beta with all of the added things? Or, are you still working on adding all final touches at once? Also, I ran into a winpose where he kept going into his grab animation. Was that intentional?

I like the progress you made... so these throws you mentioned to me. Are these normal throws or special throws? Because in the conversion thread, the characters there can Tech Hit cancel normal throws.

Is the link in the first post the beta with all of the added things? Or, are you still working on adding all final touches at once? Also, I ran into a winpose where he kept going into his grab animation. Was that intentional?

The link that's up is the beta with all the changes described in the first post.  Anything added since then, parry, alpha counter, focus attack, throw chains, are not in that version.  I'll upload a beta.2 once I finish the air throws and revamp the hypers.  The win pos you're talking about is just a temporary 2 frame "dance". That I added for fun.  It won't be in the final version.

I like the progress you made... so these throws you mentioned to me. Are these normal throws or special throws? Because in the conversion thread, the characters there can Tech Hit cancel normal throws.

Thanks.  These are normal throws, which a Tech Hit escape would be very appropriate for, seeing as they can be chained into one another.  

-

Finally found some decent free screen capture software, and made a google-tube account.  So here's a demo of the throw chaining, which requires good timing, and will not do as much damage as it does in the video.  Also don't mind the sound issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amePdLyB7Hw&feature=youtu.be

4 ground throws, each of which can be chained only into the next in the sequence:

1) Spin    QP + MP

2) Roll     MP + SP

3) Slam  MK + SK

4) Toss   QK + MK 

I see... that's very impressive... the Targetbind can use some work though for the spin throw... I'm thinking these commands since MvC2 throws use the heavy kick and punches as throws...

Spin -> Holdfwd+z

Roll -> Holdback+z

Slam -> Holdfwd+c

Toss -> Holdback+c

Can the target still Tech Hit cancel out of the throws if Wario was to chain throw them? He could be a good rival of Zangief imo