Does Mugen have no standards?

Flowering Knight

Recently my friend (guess which one it is) was bitching about how Mugen has no standards and calling every character that I used 'broken' after I won against him multiple times, despite the fact that we both used perfectly balanced characters. (Ironically, he used a MvC character and I used a JJBA character, which takes much more skill than MvC characters and overall are a bit slower)  He then went on to say that Mugen doesn't qualify as a game, as games have standards.

Of course, I disagree with him (except on the Mugen not being a game thing, but because it's technically a game engine), but my question is: What about you guys?  Does Mugen have standards?  Does it qualify as a game?  Will Gaben release Episode 3?

It does qualify as a game. You play it right? so its a game. A video game at that. it just isnt officially put out on consoles and sold like the company ones. 

What characters and by what authors you picked? if its any way near like my legendary terry or even infinites earlier works then i can see why he said that. Thats pretty extra and out there. But if its damn tame like warasaki's creations and pots stuff for example then he needs to step his game up and stop bitchin and figure out how to beat you. Theres WAY too many mugen characters out there for him to keep losing like that. He picked an Air raid combo crazy MVC vs your slow paced JJBA and still lost just tells me he just sucks when playing against you or just suck in general probably.....you should have  a lil fun and tell him to pick pots ryu while you pick KFM. if he STILL loses then hey....your friend is just a scrub lol

And no Mugen doesnt have any standards. if it did then everybody would be creating the same kind of characters for the engine with limits.

It does qualify as a game. You play it right? so its a game. A video game at that. it just isnt officially put out on consoles and sold like the company ones. 

What characters and by what authors you picked? if its any way near like my legendary terry or even infinites earlier works then i can see why he said that. Thats pretty extra and out there. But if its damn tame like warasaki's creations and pots stuff for example then he needs to step his game up and stop bitchin and figure out how to beat you. Theres WAY too many mugen characters out there for him to keep losing like that. He picked an Air raid combo crazy MVC vs your slow paced JJBA and still lost just tells me he just sucks when playing against you or just suck in general probably.....you should have  a lil fun and tell him to pick pots ryu while you pick KFM. if he STILL loses then hey....your friend is just a scrub lol

Yeah, I pretty much only used Warusaki's JoJo characters.  He used Gladiacloud's Magma Dragoon and corner raped me.  He won a bunch of matches, but the second I won one, he let out his inner scrub by calling me out for using broken characters, just as you said.

People blame it on everything but themselves. It's likely he was saying that because he couldn't win, and it was totally not his fault for being a total scrub.

That said, the balance of MUGEN is determined by the characters in the roster, but that's MUGEN - a dream match between whoever. That's not to say there can't be balance, but with people making characters in different ways with different damage outputs, mechanics and the like, of course there's going to be some form of unbalance.

People blame it on everything but themselves. It's likely he was saying that because he couldn't win, and it was totally not his fault for being a total scrub.

That said, the balance of MUGEN is determined by the characters in the roster, but that's MUGEN - a dream match between whoever. That's not to say there can't be balance, but with people making characters in different ways with different damage outputs, mechanics and the like, of course there's going to be some form of unbalance.

so true !! that's like if you use vans characters to make a kof full game and then for slip in let's say , a sander 7113 character , that sander guy is gonna stick out like sore thumbs due to their godlike a.i. (also see ikaruga) but also at the same time , you gotta get your weight up in the gameplay department too to keep the loses to a minmum.  but yeah there will be no such thing as a balanced mugen game . even the actual companies couldn't realy accomplish that (capcom selling us mugen in the for of capcom fighting evolution)

Yeah, I pretty much only used Warusaki's JoJo characters.  He used Gladiacloud's Magma Dragoon and corner raped me.  He won a bunch of matches, but the second I won one, he let out his inner scrub by calling me out for using broken characters, just as you said.

Tell him to stop complaining and git gud.

He's actually right about mugen having no standards since that's something that's imposed by the player, and obviously everybody has different tastes and qualifications pertaining to what they want in their roster. And whatever qualifies as a game is up to whatever man, there's people who think that looking at a shitty mountain counts as a game, so it's whatever. Tell him to stop crying like a little bitch and kick his fatass out next time.

lol yep. pretty much exactly this said right here. You pick your own poison for mugen to kill the other with. theres too many characters and variations of one character to cry about losing at Mugen

. Yeah im gonna pick KFM to try to wip some one whos using Rare Akuma...PFFT!!..yeah that makes so much sense in a fair fight smdh lol

@Danny:

lol yeah pretty much man....People would be bitchin if say MVC3 characters along with their game play was tossed in an official Street fighter 2 turbo game in the arcade to battle those lesser fighters with no X factor or even pop up air raid combos lol just sayin for example how retarded that is to attempt to be balanced....you have to pick the right character to battle the other so you CAN WIN....or at least have a chance

@ kai yeah if you want to give yourself a challenge then more power to ya, otherwise it's an uphill battle!!! but yeah that guy friend needs to get his weight up. but in the end mugen greatly helps when you go back to the source games .  with mugen you get used to dealing with a chaotic setting so your defense and offense improves a great deal. but some games it can kinda make you reckless too....

Personally, the engine itself cannot have standards and I'm sure the creators consider KFM to be the standards that mugen should withhold. However, it's the standards of the users/creators that matter more. As we all know there are poor quality characters and excellent quality characters. I think that is proof alone that the standards coming from the creator.

To answer you, in short, mugen has no standards.

Personally, the engine itself cannot have standards and I'm sure the creators consider KFM to be the standards that mugen should withhold. However, it's the standards of the users/creators that matter more. As we all know there are poor quality characters and excellent quality characters. I think that is proof alone that the standards coming from the creator.

To answer you, in short, mugen has no standards.

I agree on this.

@Dio: my god man...You have adventure time characters in your sig? thats all my lady 5 year old nephew loves to watch on netflix here at the house lol smh

LOL really? But I'm not so much fan of the Cartoon I just watch it because there's Jake this Dog is fucking awesome Beside that regular show is my favorite.