Avengers: United Battle Force

O Ilusionista

Avengers: United Battle Force is a game I am working with OpenBOR engine (something I advice every mugen creator to take a look), a tad based on the Arcade game plus some new stuff.

This game started as a study case from Doom, who worked with me on Bullseye, so he could learn how to code for OpenBOR. Then it turned into a full game. Basically, Doom edits the chars and starts the codes, and I handle all the core codes and some sprite edits.

Posted Image

The idea is to make an Avengers (though some non-avengers chars will appear) based on the old Arcade game, which we loved so much, but won't be a perfect copy.

The title is a working title, and can be changed later.

Posted Image

Features (not everything is avaliable yet):
- 2 players (although 3 players could be done)
- Specials and air specials
- Hyper moves (consumes all the powerbar)
- Vehicles
- Traps, plataforms, holes and other beat em up things
- NPC chars
- Unlockable chars
- Alternate routes
- While I am a rookie on OpenBOR coding, I promisse to be a cool game to play :)

What could be done:
-Weapons system, if I manage to code it well.
-Aerial Rave, like on versus games

Roster (subject to change):
- Quicksilver
- Captain America
- Ironman
- Hawkeye
- War Machine

other who will join later:
- Vision
- Iron Fist
- Black Panther
- Black Widow
- Antman
- Psylocke
- Beast
- Wolverine
- Hulk
- Colossus
- Nightcrawler

Some which could appear, as a playable or NPC
- Black Knight
- Wasp
- Fantomex
and some others

Shots (outdated):

Select screen
Posted Image

In game (GUI is a WIP)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

more to come.

Its a OpenBOR game, not Mugen. Dunno even if I can post it here.

this Project is awesome, i really enjoye dthe arcade game, is it going to have the same soundtrack or you plan making now songs for it?

I will use many music and sounds from the classic arcade game :)

thanks

Progress:

- Burn effects for all chars and enemies (thanks Pierwolf)

Posted Image

- Robotic hit sounds for Warmachine and Ironman

- New Soldier enemy (the most common one)

- Guard now actually...guards

Posted Image

- General improves on the stage - Doors were resized, the stage is wider and have some new edits. Plus, this is the new sub boss: Forklift. When you beat him, a normal Soldier will jump to fight you (but if he wasn't able to fight with you with a Forklift, what he can do by himself anyway, lol)

Posted Image

(I think they doesn't likes the Avengers...)

- Each char has a new unique icon. And looks, Hawkeye has a fan, lol

Posted Image

- Whenever you see a char on other palette, watch out: with new colors, comes new moves. Green gunner, for example, shoots twice.

- TMNT fans will remember what happens if you pass in front of a car :)

Posted Image

(the shadow is wrong, I know)

- This will lead to a branch

Posted Image

- New playable char: Ant Man

Posted Image

I am loving to work on this mod :)

but many fans of mugen would be interested in game such as this on my opinion, is it such a bad thing to have it here?

I'm not saying that. I've only noticed that is probably the first time that someone post something like this and has nothing to do with M.U.G.E.N. But if the admins or moderators has nothing to say about this topic, then It's a good thing for O Ilusionista.

I can agree with you about not beeing on a WIP section of Mugen, but I don't agree with not beeing on this forum.

Well, the moderators are free to move this topic if they want to.

but many fans of mugen would be interested in game such as this on my opinion, is it such a bad thing to have it here?

Exactly, and we all win in the end.

Progress:

- Burn effects for all chars and enemies (thanks Pierwolf)

Posted Image

- Robotic hit sounds for Warmachine and Ironman

- New Soldier enemy (the most common one)

- Guard now actually...guards

Posted Image

- General improves on the stage - Doors were resized, the stage is wider and have some new edits. Plus, this is the new sub boss: Forklift. When you beat him, a normal Soldier will jump to fight you (but if he wasn't able to fight with you with a Forklift, what he can do by himself anyway, lol)

Posted Image

(I think they doesn't likes the Avengers...)

- Each char has a new unique icon. And looks, Hawkeye has a fan, lol

Posted Image

- Whenever you see a char on other palette, watch out: with new colors, comes new moves. Green gunner, for example, shoots twice.

- TMNT fans will remember what happens if you pass in front of a car :)

Posted Image

(the shadow is wrong, I know)

- This will lead to a branch

Posted Image

- New playable char: Ant Man

Posted Image

I can agree with you about not beeing on a WIP section of Mugen, but I don't agree with not beeing on this forum. Well, the moderators are free to move this topic if they want to.Exactly, and we all win in the end.  

I said that, because this is a site of M.U.G.E.N and I think this topic shouldn't be here.

About the playable characters ... the following are completed ... though perhaps we add or modify something ...

Posted Image

These characters are in progress ...

Posted Image

I think also is in progress Iron Fist and Storm...

Many people ask more playable female characters ...

So I do some designs ... All are fairly simple ... If some brave spriter is interested in helping with any of them ... please tell us.

Posted Image

I have also made ​​these designs. They are available for editing...

Posted Image

I once helped MUGENChina pals with some simple BOR stuff.  But I am not familiar with BOR authoring at all.  So O Ilusionista, comparing BOR to MUGEN, which one do you think is harder and more fun when it comes to authoring engine content stuff please?

Man, OpenBOR surpass Mugen in many aspects, if you want to makem a beat em up game. For a versus game, it will require some work.

And there is one cool thing: OpenBOR community is way betther than mugen one. Period.

I will paste here something I posted at Guild, so who don't knows OpenBOR maybe could learn more about it.

Specially the coders will have the same reaction as me and Zvitor had when we saw the manual.

Mugen (Elecbyte) needs to take a brief look at OpenBOR and learn a lot of things.

There are so many things that are way easier (and better) in OpenBOR that you get frustated when you come back to mugen.

For example, on scripted slams (like our Throws) the way it handle the custom animations is way smarter.

You wanna make a move that inflicts fire damage (and have fire fx)? Simply put BURN on it "hitdef" and voilá, the engine understand and treats is different from a normal hit. The engine will even make different animations for BPAIN (Burned PAIN, PAIN is the gethit animation), BURN (Falling BURN animation), RISEB (Rise from BURN), BDIE (dying from a BURN attack) even BLOCKPAINB (Played when an entity received too much damage from 'burn' attack while blocking).

Pretty easy, no? You just need to put the animations on your char. If you don't have a BURN anim, for example, it will just display the normal PAIN animation. No "missing animations", no "invisible characters". You don't want to make it have a different anim when its killed from burn? Just remove the BDIE anim.

And the same will work for FREEZE and SHOCK animations. There are other options, like burn, freeze, shock, steal. Steal is a Drain-like move. You just put one line of code and, If this box hits a player or enemy, it will drain life from the target and give it to the attacker. Simply like that.

This is a "hitdef" from a simple burn:

burn {x} {y} {right} {down} {damage} {knockdown} {block} {noflash} {pausetime} {z}

There are more options, but its that: just one line.

Wanna make a attack which poisons the oponent? Take a look:

DOT {Index} {Time} {Mode} {Force} {Rate}

~DOT means Damage Over Time. It works like drain feature but even better.

~Drain effect can't kill hit entity but DOT can. Also should DOT effect kill another entity, this entity will get the credit for the kill.

~{Index} defines DOT index. Entity may have up to 10 DOT effects at one time. An entity can be hit by more than one DOT effect at once. If entity is hit by same indexed DOT effects, only the latest one will be applied.

~{Time} defines how long DOT effect active in centiseconds.

~{Mode} defines how DOT effect is applied to hit entity. HP damage is same type as original attack and affected by damage mitigation.

1 = Nonlethal HP (can reduce to 1 but not below).

2 = MP.

3 = MP and nonlethal HP.

4 = HP.

5 = MP and HP.

~{Force} defines amount of damage per tick.

~{Rate} defines delay between each tick in centisecond.

This isn't even the tip of the Iceberg.

If you wanna learn about it, take a look at its manual (a bit outdated) http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

That is Luke Cage.

Little progress: managed to handle multiple layer stages, so each layer moves on its own speed and makes it different from the original games

Posted Image

Mugen stage makers: OpenBOR have some cool options for stages, like water effect (raster), mirror and even Mode 7.

Man, OpenBOR surpass Mugen in many aspects, if you want to makem a beat em up game. For a versus game, it will require some work.

And there is one cool thing: OpenBOR community is way betther than mugen one. Period.

I will paste here something I posted at Guild, so who don't knows OpenBOR maybe could learn more about it.

Specially the coders will have the same reaction as me and Zvitor had when we saw the manual.

Mugen (Elecbyte) needs to take a brief look at OpenBOR and learn a lot of things.

There are so many things that are way easier (and better) in OpenBOR that you get frustated when you come back to mugen.

For example, on scripted slams (like our Throws) the way it handle the custom animations is way smarter.

You wanna make a move that inflicts fire damage (and have fire fx)? Simply put BURN on it "hitdef" and voilá, the engine understand and treats is different from a normal hit. The engine will even make different animations for BPAIN (Burned PAIN, PAIN is the gethit animation), BURN (Falling BURN animation), RISEB (Rise from BURN), BDIE (dying from a BURN attack) even BLOCKPAINB (Played when an entity received too much damage from 'burn' attack while blocking).

Pretty easy, no? You just need to put the animations on your char. If you don't have a BURN anim, for example, it will just display the normal PAIN animation. No "missing animations", no "invisible characters". You don't want to make it have a different anim when its killed from burn? Just remove the BDIE anim.

And the same will work for FREEZE and SHOCK animations. There are other options, like burn, freeze, shock, steal. Steal is a Drain-like move. You just put one line of code and, If this box hits a player or enemy, it will drain life from the target and give it to the attacker. Simply like that.

This is a "hitdef" from a simple burn:There are more options, but its that: just one line.

Wanna make a attack which poisons the oponent? Take a look:

~DOT means Damage Over Time. It works like drain feature but even better.

~Drain effect can't kill hit entity but DOT can. Also should DOT effect kill another entity, this entity will get the credit for the kill.

~{Index} defines DOT index. Entity may have up to 10 DOT effects at one time. An entity can be hit by more than one DOT effect at once. If entity is hit by same indexed DOT effects, only the latest one will be applied.

~{Time} defines how long DOT effect active in centiseconds.

~{Mode} defines how DOT effect is applied to hit entity. HP damage is same type as original attack and affected by damage mitigation.

1 = Nonlethal HP (can reduce to 1 but not below).

2 = MP.

3 = MP and nonlethal HP.

4 = HP.

5 = MP and HP.

~{Force} defines amount of damage per tick.

~{Rate} defines delay between each tick in centisecond.

This isn't even the tip of the Iceberg.

If you wanna learn about it, take a look at its manual (a bit outdated) http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

Wow!  Looks like BOR engine is more convenient than MUGEN engine!  You have to work with both engines so there must be some big amount of works and care-takings!  I may not try to make things with BOR engine yet......perhaps when I get bored with MUGEN.........

you should take a look. You will love it :)

Mode 7 huh? Im sure you'll probably do something great with it.

I haven't used it yet. But the water effect is very cool.

Following the suggestion, I've recolored the background (and now the clouds are on another layer too).

Started the hyper moves (moves which cost all the MP and does a lot of damage):

Posted Image

(Its a backflip, then he shoots a diagonal arrow which just hits the ground and unleash a eletric discharge)

I solved the MP cost question: we will use Dr. Strange on the stage, explaining that through a spell, they don't spend their power on the moves, since we will use those mode as a Weapon, so we won't need any script :)

Some progress:

Select screen is done

Posted Image

Ironman's new moves

Unibeam! (hyper move)

Posted Image

Energy Blade (special move)

Posted Image

http://marvel.wikia.com/Anthony_Stark_(Earth-616)#Offensive_Powers

Energy Blade: Based on the same design Tony Stark used to build Captain America's energy shield, this laser sword, emitted from his right arm, could also be flattened into a shield on his hands, or spread over the entire armor to encase the armor in a protective covering.