I got a C&D mail from Interplay...

Basara-kun

Hi people, as a creator I feel it's my obligation to let you know about this here as I did in Guild. Here's the long story but let me shorten you for effects of this thread: Noneless than Interplay sent me a Cease and Desist mail to stop and delete all the content related to my MUGEN fullgame "ClayFighter: Infinite Clayfare". It was originally sent in July but I just saw it past week, and got terrified about it.

I asked for help in Guild and they helped me to make an answer mail where I clarify this is a non-profit fangame and what I did is a fanart, and if they don't want to get reasons, then I won't continue and I'll comply what they said. But yesterday got their official answer, and it was basically "a game barely can be considered as 'fanart', so delete it anyway." And sadly, that's what I'll have to do, nothing do to against a videogame company.

In the thread I posted the original mail with the C&D, which eventually was leaked from the forum and posted on Twitter, which also spawned some news about it, but that wasn't enough. Eventually my reply and the second answer I uploaded them in my IC Twitter account, so everyone knows about this but posted by me instead to be leaked again.

And with these words, Infinite Clayfare ends... I'm retooling my site to delete the references and the downloads (included the thread I made here in Video Sharing subforum and marked it as red in CF collection). My chars won't be deleted, but now they won't be in the spot again, trying to get below the radar until the seas are calmed. I want to thank to all who liked and supported my game, I appreciate you all, as well all the good messages on Twitter, Discord or forums, it means a lot to me.

Basara out...

• 1 month later...

Casually I read your thread on MFG forums at that time. I felt Indignation for this. As if you had actually broken some law... Nothing could be further from the reality. But trying to make these people understand is useless.
I wonder what type of feeling remains in you. The sadness for not having finish an ambitious project or the pride of be considered a real deal against a videogames company.