Cancelled GameCube port of KOF 2002 or hoax?

Dan

While looking through a few pages of the Spanish gaming magazine Gametype (which also frequently featured Mugen like I said on my other topic), I came across some weird news.

On the issue no.11 from February 2003 on the last news section there's something about a port of The King of Fighters 2002 for the GameCube that would feature characters from the then recently released GBA game The King of Fighters EX2 (albeit by then still Japan only) and a new game mode called "Judgment of Fighter", though I'm not able to find any other info about this supposed port so I'm unsure about it's legitimacy.

1100008.jpg

I'm a native Spanish speaker so here's the  translation to said article:

Spoiler

KOF2002 FOR GAMECUBE!

THE 2D FIGHTING REINFORCE LINES FOR THE BIG NINTENDO, ALSO WITH FANTASTIC INNOVATIONS.

Marvelous Entertainment and Playmore announced at the beginning of January, after the release of KOF EX2 for the Game Boy Advance, that they're collaborating to release in GameCube format an adaptation of the arcade title KOF2002 which will show up April of this year. The news are at least shocking for the fans of the saga, first because GameCube only has seen 2D fighting with Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO, followed by this being the first version for a console which is not the home Neo-Geo to KOF come out this fast (may be the need to sell a product quickly because of the emulators fault?) and finally it has almost been an emotional shock when we saw the innovations it will include.

To begin, the game will feature hidden characters which will be unlocked via a special mode titled "Judgment of Fighters Mode". This JOF Mode will be something similar to Street Fighter Zero 3's World Tour Mode, and we'll be leveling up to obtain original special moves created for this version of KOF2002. Also, through the cable link that connects the Game Boy Advance with GameCube we can transfer our acquired levels on the story mode of KOF EX2 and make it easier to unlock characters like the brutal Reiji Oogami. Maybe other silhouettes might be flames Kyo and Moe Hanaba?

I downloaded a full scan of this issue but there's no other information about this other than that small section of page 8 pictured above, but all the other news are completely legit though so not sure why would they lie about this specific port of the game.

What do you all think about this? maybe a lost port of the game or just a hoax by the magazine?

Source

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, Noside said:

I think that was good since there was no way on earth I could play a KOF game with a GC controller.

I feel like it would've had a control scheme mode similar to Capcom VS. SNK 2 EO's Easy Operation mode.