Need help coding a moves list.

RobotMonkeyHead

Question

So I'm trying to code something pretty simple, and I can't get it working.  I tried unplugging the computer and plugging it back in but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I was hoping someone might be willing to help me out on this...

I'm trying to make it so taunt calls up an in game moves list.  I know OMEGAPSYCHO's done this in the past but his code is way beyond what I need.  I don't need multiple pages with scrolling or anything.  I just want the game to pause and a single image file to be displayed until any other key is pressed.

I started off trying to code it in a separate .cns file, but I can't even get the game to open that.  For some reason it crashes as soon as the character loads, even if the file is completely empty. 
Def file looks like this:

[Files]
cmd      = code/wario.cmd
cns      = code/states.cns
stcommon = code/common.cns
st       = code/states.cns
st1      = code/dttml.cns
sprite   = code/wario.sff
anim     = code/wario.air
sound    = code/wario.snd
pal1     = Palettes/WarioRMHpal.act

[Arcade]
intro.storyboard  =
ending.storyboard =

There is a folder in the character named Code, containint dttml.cns which I've tried having completely blank, and having code in it.  Neither seems to work.

As far as building it goes, I was thinking of running a cycle between 3 states, the first state being a 1 tick pause, the second displaying the graphic for 1 ticks and the thirdstate being a check for any key being pressed.  I was going to use an explod to display it.

So does anyone know why it won't load that extra .cns, or have any suggestions for other ways to code that?

12 answers to this question

is there any way you think of to detect when it's not a good time to pause the engine?  If I can do that, I can have it display a quick messge saying "unable to pause at this time."

Well, it's going to be character-specific, but you can detect stateno. So, if stateno>1000 for example, you can display that explod message or helper.

i've never perfected it, but i strongly believe its a helper code that pauses everything, and then a explod for the image. OR use the helper for the image.

the tricky part is making it pause everything.

you can summon a helper by putting in the helper code in the -1 in the CMD file.

what version of Fighter Factory are you using? i am not sure why ur cns will not work but i do think u should use an helper for your move list instead of an explod

I'm using the most recent version of fighter factory.  I did actually get it to open the .cns which is weird, I never figured out why it wasn't working.  Just tried it again about a day or two ago and it worked just fine.  Must have been some silly mistake somewhere on my part.

As for the helper, yea I think you're right.  It's way more versatile, and not much more complex to code.

i've never perfected it, but i strongly believe its a helper code that pauses everything, and then a explod for the image. OR use the helper for the image.

you can summon a helper by putting in the helper code in the -1 in the CMD file.

I was going to use a  pause controller, but I'm not quite sure how the coding of it works.  I know I can pause the enginre for X ticks, but where exactly does it pick up when that tick is done?  Right after the pause state?  Or does it start at the beginning on the next tick? If it picks up right after the pause state next loop around I should be all set.

EDIT: Also thanks for the help guys.

My NZCR Demo does it. :P There's a problem though. You cannot pause during supers. The two pauses cancel each other out. Also some weird things can happen when you have a state that is allowed to be moving during Pause. Sadly, the only surefire method of pausing is with the Pause key on your keyboard. The screen itself is a helper, yes.

Yea, I was thinking something like that too.  The other thing I could do is have the message say something like "Wait until neither character is attacking to access moves list.", and then just have it check for attack state types.

Yes, but that would be very specific. What if you're fighting a very active AI? You'd never be able to pause, lol.

That's true.  For example if fighting Wonder Woman or Dragon Claw, the insult of not being able to access the moves list to save yourself would add insult to the relentless beating.

:donwan:

What if I just use a superpause to pause the game for the moves list?

I think if there's an existing Super Pause (a player started a super), yours would not work because one is active already. It's either that or it'll cancel out the existing SuperPause. I know I ran into many problems when doing this, but my Pause Screen is for a full game, so I know how everything is coded and was able to make an exception.