Editing a character by an inactive author

SweetsPlanet

Question

blackheart-badass.gif

So i want to use a Blackheart from Marvel character as a base, edit it into my custom playstyle, and then release it.

But the authors of all the Blackheart characters i found are already inactive, possibly even retiring from MUGEN. Therefore i cant ask them for permission.

(Some of them are even edits of a Blackheart character from an inactive author. But they still give credit to the original author)

I cant start on my work cause of this problem.

Can i edit a character by an inactive, unreachable author and then give them credits ?

(This applies to every character by an inactive author, not just Blackheart)

Thanks in advance. 7763_dogerime.png

5 answers to this question

i don't see why you can't. this isn't the mugen "dark age" where borrowing as much as the smallest asset from someone else's work warranted you getting jumped on by the whole community. a little shout out to the original creator should suffice regardless of whether or not they're active.

12 hours ago, Ryou said:

i don't see why you can't. this isn't the mugen "dark age" where borrowing as much as the smallest asset from someone else's work warranted you getting jumped on by the whole community. a little shout out to the original creator should suffice regardless of whether or not they're active.

Just to clarify, this only applies to characters from (active) authors that didn't say anything about editing their works right ?

I'm always cautious about these permission stuffs cause i remember that green ranger incident

(Even tho it's a different case of permissions and credits ?)

Problem is, If you oh say want to make most of or some of those mortal kombat characters out there work ( Most are released broken as hell) Youl NEED to edit them. That requires someone who knows coding or more and frequently easier.. Taking parts from other characters to make your one character that needs repair to function again (or ever) And as youd notice if you ever got into that.. Theres so many characters in need of fixing that theres too little time to ask first..