Eri Hasumi WIP (new gameplay style)

Nep Heart

A new decade come a new year, which comes a new start on a new play style that I have been planning out since late last year on a more grounded base battle system loosely inspired by various SNK games including The King of Fighters in particular. It will be dubbed "Generation 2" and Eri Hasumi will be the first character to be in this style. With that said, the previous gameplay style for prior characters I've been releasing for the last year and a half will be dubbed as "Generation 1," which has not ceased for as I still plan to do more characters in that style, but I wanted to try something new for once.

eri1.png

eri2.png
eri3.png

https://streamable.com/i74da

The main emphasis on this one will be the Style that can be chosen at the start of a match; Power and Speed. Power Style sacrifices movement speed and combo options for more damage per attack. Speed Style has superior mobility options with more combo and blockstring options, but requires longer combos to catch up with Power Style's damage output. This basically changes the way a character will be played quite a bit in spite of the moveset remaining the same between Styles.

If this takes off and is well-received, I may do more characters in Generation 2 gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

https://streamable.com/g2naf

Asides from Blowback Attacks and throws, any normal that is blocked will cause Recoil, causing both P1 and P2 to reel back for a moment. Also, all guarded normals cause chip damage (but cannot chip kill). 

If the blue meter is filled up entirely, the target gets their guard broken and put into Guard Crash state where they're left open for a brief period.

Lastly, there is also Power Charge, a state that fills up the power meter at an exponential rate, but will leave you open if used carelessly.

Recoil, normals doing chip damage and Power Charge are only available in Power Style. Guard Crash is available in Power or Speed.

False, although the damage scaling system is different, but I would worry more of the lack of chain combos asides from designated target combo normals that everyone was so used to with my previous system. 

Meaning no more button mashing.

1 hour ago, Nep Heart said:

False, although the damage scaling system is different, but I would worry more of the lack of chain combos asides from designated target combo normals that everyone was so used to with my previous system. 

Meaning no more button mashing.

Did you made it? It looks different than Rice, P.O.T.S & Seravy's versions of that scaling system.

Yeah, this one is more based on KoF13's damage scaling.

The one I used for my previous gameplay system is based on RicePigeon's however, which is closer to how BlazBlue handles damage scaling.

It wouldn't really make sense to reuse the same damage scaling system if the new gameplay system uses a drastically different combo system.

8 minutes ago, Nep Heart said:

Yeah, this one is more based on KoF13's damage scaling.

The one I used for my previous gameplay system is based on RicePigeon's however, which is closer to how BlazBlue handles damage scaling.

It wouldn't really make sense to reuse the same damage scaling system if the new gameplay system uses a drastically different combo system.

Yeah, i had some stuff in mind that P.O.T.S' scaling was based on number of hits while Rice's scaling system was based on individual hits, your scaling seems based on the total damage inflicted since it's SNK related.

• 2 weeks later...

https://streamable.com/i668e

Deflect, which is mostly based on Just Defend from Garou: MotW, is a defensive mechanic available to both Power and Speed Styles which functions like an enhanced guard that not only negates guardstun and chip damage, but also recovers life at a 10% ratio of the damage a hit would have inflicted, fills the power meter with 2x the damage a hit would have inflicted, fills the Drive Meter with 2x the damage a hit would have inflicted as well as a 15 frame pause in which you're completely free to take any action. In spite of the pause between hits, you still have to do the input again if you're against multi-hit attacks since each input only covers for one hit.

Also, yes, there are something similar to guard restrictions for this mechanic, although it's a bit difficult to showcase when controlling two characters at once.

2 hours ago, Nep Heart said:

https://streamable.com/i668e

Deflect, which is mostly based on Just Defend from Garou: MotW, is a defensive mechanic available to both Power and Speed Styles which functions like an enhanced guard that not only negates guardstun and chip damage, but also recovers life at a 10% ratio of the damage a hit would have inflicted, fills the power meter with 2x the damage a hit would have inflicted, fills the Drive Meter with 2x the damage a hit would have inflicted as well as a 15 frame pause in which you're completely free to take any action. In spite of the pause between hits, you still have to do the input again if you're against multi-hit attacks since each input only covers for one hit.

Also, yes, there are something similar to guard restrictions for this mechanic, although it's a bit difficult to showcase when controlling two characters at once.

The P2 hitsparks are still there lol, if you use a invisible helper with reversal coding it will negate the hitsparks/hitsounds (Sounds bland using variables).

My main issue with reversaldefs is that they do not record hitdef information, so, finding out how much damage an attack would have done is basically impossible without some strict compatibility. It's worked for my past characters because they didn't have the need to record hitdef info, but in this case, Eri does.

• 2 weeks later...