[3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

PlasmoidThunder

2E5kDcD.pngNo real information yet, outside of:

Players can look forward to even greater, randomly created dungeons that change each time they enter. In Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, players will battle alongside Legendary and Mythical Pokémon to save the world in a sweeping tale of adventure and mystery.

Slated for release in Autumn 2015 for Japan, Winter 2015 for North America and early 2016 for Europe.

I hope to heck it's not a free-to-play model like the past two side games. It's a full retail game.

I hope it doesn't make the same mistakes as Gates to Infinity though.

They better not make it free to play and I hope they'll have ALL 719 Pokemon playable, because Gates to Infinity had an EXTREMELY LIMITED Pokemon list, which made me lose interest in even getting the game. It didn't even had the Totodile line.

Gates to Infinity did some things right, such as the 'save anywhere on the overworld' thing and the humorous NPCs, but yeah, let us not forget that it:

-Removed the belly system, which some might consider a key part of rogue-like games.

-Made dungeons boring to traverse through, considering how many of them were essentially just corridors.

-Had so much text coupled with slow, unchangeable text speed.

-Had a weird final boss (Kyurem included to some extent).

-Had no post-game content outside of building up Paradise.

-Had a severe lack of Pokémon, failing to include all of even Gen V's Pokémon (namely Reuniclus :c).

-Was too easy.

Though there is one thing that all of the Mystery Dungeon games have in common (outside of Red and Blue Rescue Team) that needs to be fixed:

-If you evolve either yourself or your partner, they don't play a sleeping animation when they wake up the next day. This is especially prominent in Gates to Infinity because of how cute the sleeping animation is.

They should add extra portraits, especially the sad, angry, dizzy, determined, shocked, worried, etc portraits for the Pokemon that lacked them, even though they don't play a major role in the story.

• 2 weeks later...

First trailer of the game

Statement from Serebii:

The Nintendo Direct in Japan today has revealed that Pokémon Super Mystery SDungeon is to be released in Japan on September 17th 2015. It features a full range of starter Pokémon available and maintains the legendary Pokémon and aesthetics of the previous title. It has all the currently available Pokémon

The huge selection of starter Pokemon makes this promising... but... this may also mean it's not a F2P game. I hope it isn't.

Well of course not! As i said before of all the pokemon sub-games this series is the most popular so it was going to be a retail game. however I never Played the mystery-dungeon series so is this like an Rpg or a beat-em-up game?

A roguelike.

Basically, you have your team of up to four party members and you explore through various dungeons, with the layout of each dungeon changing every time you traverse through it. In the spirit of Pokémon, you have four moves that use PP, as well as a bulk-standard attack that uses no PP, but is often weaker than your usual attacks. The effect of moves and abilities differs between the Mystery Dungeon series and the main series, with attacks such as Spacial Rend, Discharge and Roar of Time being able to hit all enemy Pokémon in a room.

As with regular Pokémon games, you have a bag/inventory where you store your items. You may find items that you can pick up in dungeons. There are some items that are exclusive to the Mystery Dungeon series such as gummis (not present in Gates to Infinity), throwing items (Gravelrocks, Iron Thorns, etc.), seeds, orbs and food items. There are many types of seeds and orbs, each with different effects; arguably one of the best seeds is known as the Reviver Seed, which automatically revives a fallen party member with full HP.

Traps are evil little bastards that more than often hinder you. These are found within dungeons and are hidden until stepped upon, typically being a Sticky Trap (makes certain items in your inventory unusable), Grimy Trap (turns some of your food items into Grimy Food, which barely fills your belly and is fraught with negative effects) or a PP Zero Trap (reduces the PP of one of your moves to 0).

Monster Houses are the bane of every Mystery Dungeon player's existence. When you enter a room, there is a chance that a whole bunch of enemy Pokémon will fall down from the ceiling and ambush you. This typically happens when you've run out of Reviver Seeds and your party is low on HP because the game is an arsehole.

Belly is a mechanic they removed from Gates to Infinity for the most part, but was crucial to the earlier (and better) games in the series. As you wonder through a dungeon, your belly starts to empty (only yours, not your teammates'). Once your belly becomes empty, your HP starts to drop when you move. Food items are used to keep your belly full.

Recruitment is similar to catching in the main series and wobbling in the Rumble series. When you defeat an enemy Pokémon, there is a chance that they will want to join your party. You can choose to accept or decline their request, but if your party is full, they will be sent to their respective Friend Area (Red/Blue), Wigglytuff's Guild (Time/Darkness/Sky) or Paradise (Gates to Infinity). Some Pokémon are naturally harder to recruit than others, though certain boss legendaries join your team automatically upon fighting them a second time (in Time, Darkness and Sky, at least).

IQ (or Team Skills in Gates to Infinity, ugh) is what one could consider a secondary form of levelling up, though instead of gaining levels, you gain special skills. In Red and Blue, every Pokémon learned the same skills when raising their IQ, with the very last skill being the almighty Super Mobile that allows you to destroy walls and cross lava 'n' schit (if you're not a Fire-type, at least, seeing as they can do it naturally). In Time, Darkness and Sky, Pokémon were divided into IQ groups, which meant some Pokémon learnt different skills to others; Palkia, being the almighty deity of space that he is, had his own group, which was the only group to have the equivalent to Red and Blue's Super Mobile. I can't even remember what Team Skills are in Gates to Infinity.

Tile passing is something that Pokémon of certain types can do. Fire-type Pokémon can pass over lava, Water-types can pass over water, Flying-types can pass over clouds, etc. Ghost-types are capable of passing over absolutely anything, but if the player is a Ghost-type, their belly will empty at an alarming rate when passing over dungeon walls.

Shedding tears is what pretty much everyone does at the end of the main story because of how upsetting it is (even Gates to Infinity manages to get this one right). It essentially involves your poor partner saying goodbye as you leave the Pokémon world and return to the human world, with them sobbing uncontrollably as you fade into nothing (in Gates to Infinity, your partner and friends simply stare up towards the glowing object in the sky (you) with happy expressions on their faces... It is implied that they have forgotten about your existence until something happens post-game).

I'm sure that's not everything, but if Temporal Tower has taught me anything, it's that I need to be a Cyndaquil and my partner needs to be a Pikachu with Discharge ;P

A roguelike.

Basically, you have your team of up to four party members and you explore through various dungeons, with the layout of each dungeon changing every time you traverse through it. In the spirit of Pokémon, you have four moves that use PP, as well as a bulk-standard attack that uses no PP, but is often weaker than your usual attacks. The effect of moves and abilities differs between the Mystery Dungeon series and the main series, with attacks such as Spacial Rend, Discharge and Roar of Time being able to hit all enemy Pokémon in a room.

As with regular Pokémon games, you have a bag/inventory where you store your items. You may find items that you can pick up in dungeons. There are some items that are exclusive to the Mystery Dungeon series such as gummis (not present in Gates to Infinity), throwing items (Gravelrocks, Iron Thorns, etc.), seeds, orbs and food items. There are many types of seeds and orbs, each with different effects; arguably one of the best seeds is known as the Reviver Seed, which automatically revives a fallen party member with full HP.

Traps are evil little bastards that more than often hinder you. These are found within dungeons and are hidden until stepped upon, typically being a Sticky Trap (makes certain items in your inventory unusable), Grimy Trap (turns some of your food items into Grimy Food, which barely fills your belly and is fraught with negative effects) or a PP Zero Trap (reduces the PP of one of your moves to 0).

Monster Houses are the bane of every Mystery Dungeon player's existence. When you enter a room, there is a chance that a whole bunch of enemy Pokémon will fall down from the ceiling and ambush you. This typically happens when you've run out of Reviver Seeds and your party is low on HP because the game is an arsehole.

Belly is a mechanic they removed from Gates to Infinity for the most part, but was crucial to the earlier (and better) games in the series. As you wonder through a dungeon, your belly starts to empty (only yours, not your teammates'). Once your belly becomes empty, your HP starts to drop when you move. Food items are used to keep your belly full.

Recruitment is similar to catching in the main series and wobbling in the Rumble series. When you defeat an enemy Pokémon, there is a chance that they will want to join your party. You can choose to accept or decline their request, but if your party is full, they will be sent to their respective Friend Area (Red/Blue), Wigglytuff's Guild (Time/Darkness/Sky) or Paradise (Gates to Infinity). Some Pokémon are naturally harder to recruit than others, though certain boss legendaries join your team automatically upon fighting them a second time (in Time, Darkness and Sky, at least).

IQ (or Team Skills in Gates to Infinity, ugh) is what one could consider a secondary form of levelling up, though instead of gaining levels, you gain special skills. In Red and Blue, every Pokémon learned the same skills when raising their IQ, with the very last skill being the almighty Super Mobile that allows you to destroy walls and cross lava 'n' schit (if you're not a Fire-type, at least, seeing as they can do it naturally). In Time, Darkness and Sky, Pokémon were divided into IQ groups, which meant some Pokémon learnt different skills to others; Palkia, being the almighty deity of space that he is, had his own group, which was the only group to have the equivalent to Red and Blue's Super Mobile. I can't even remember what Team Skills are in Gates to Infinity.

Tile passing is something that Pokémon of certain types can do. Fire-type Pokémon can pass over lava, Water-types can pass over water, Flying-types can pass over clouds, etc. Ghost-types are capable of passing over absolutely anything, but if the player is a Ghost-type, their belly will empty at an alarming rate when passing over dungeon walls.

Shedding tears is what pretty much everyone does at the end of the main story because of how upsetting it is (even Gates to Infinity manages to get this one right). It essentially involves your poor partner saying goodbye as you leave the Pokémon world and return to the human world, with them sobbing uncontrollably as you fade into nothing (in Gates to Infinity, your partner and friends simply stare up towards the glowing object in the sky (you) with happy expressions on their faces... It is implied that they have forgotten about your existence until something happens post-game).

I'm sure that's not everything, but if Temporal Tower has taught me anything, it's that I need to be a Cyndaquil and my partner needs to be a Pikachu with Discharge ;P

Hmm......... I see thanks!

pretty much a pokemon version of "Dungeon & Dragons"

they sure are making a lot of pokemon games for the super nintendo these days

LOL! you must be refering to the 3DS. XD

Indeed! thier had been a considerable amount of pokemon games out for it. Which makes Gen 6 the most popular Gen as of to date. :goodmood:

Well, I'll pick Riolu to play as and Totodile as my partner, just like Explorers of Sky. At least I don't have to worry about the Belly system but GarchompMatt did forget one crucial thing. You have LIMITED number of moves in a dungeon. After a long time has passed on a certain floor, you'll see a message saying you feel a mysterious wind blowing. That's a signal that you better hurry up and advance to the next floor. You'll get 2 warnings of that wind and if you get a third warning, GAME OVER. What I mean by that is that you and your team are blown out of the dungeon and it counts as a loss. Also, Escape Orbs are the most crucial item to have besides the Reviver Seeds. If you use an Escape Orb in the middle of a dungeon, it'll count as a win and says you safely escaped and you keep everything you found before that point you use it. To add on to the recruitment, not many Pokemon will join you at the early stages but as your level gets higher, more Pokemon may want to join you. The most difficult Pokemon to recruit is Kecleon. They are FAR FAR MORE powerful than Legendaries and WILL call on a horde to wipe you out if you damage him in their shop within the dungeon. I haven't played Gates to Infinity so I don't know the shops still there. And like all games. Some Pokemon WILL join you no matter what, this goes for Legendaries and strong Pokemon too.

In Red/Blue Rescue team, Pokemon like Magnemite, Absol, Latias and Gardevoir will join you after a mission by either asking to join you and you accept or right off the bat. In Time/Darkness/Sky, Mewtwo is only obtainable through a Challenge Letter and he WILL ask to join you post-game if you defeat him. Anyway, Noob, you'll enjoy this game.

Now, since it's retail, I'm super excited for the game.

they sure are making a lot of pokemon games for the super nintendo these days

That joke was already made, sorry :}

pretty much a pokemon version of "Dungeon & Dragons"

Pretty much a Pokémon version of the Mystery Dungeon series, yes :P

Well, I'll pick Riolu to play as and Totodile as my partner, just like Explorers of Sky. At least I don't have to worry about the Belly system but GarchompMatt did forget one crucial thing. You have LIMITED number of moves in a dungeon. After a long time has passed on a certain floor, you'll see a message saying you feel a mysterious wind blowing. That's a signal that you better hurry up and advance to the next floor. You'll get 2 warnings of that wind and if you get a third warning, GAME OVER. What I mean by that is that you and your team are blown out of the dungeon and it counts as a loss. Also, Escape Orbs are the most crucial item to have besides the Reviver Seeds. If you use an Escape Orb in the middle of a dungeon, it'll count as a win and says you safely escaped and you keep everything you found before that point you use it. To add on to the recruitment, not many Pokemon will join you at the early stages but as your level gets higher, more Pokemon may want to join you. The most difficult Pokemon to recruit is Kecleon. They are FAR FAR MORE powerful than Legendaries and WILL call on a horde to wipe you out if you damage him in their shop within the dungeon. I haven't played Gates to Infinity so I don't know the shops still there. And like all games. Some Pokemon WILL join you no matter what, this goes for Legendaries and strong Pokemon too.

In Red/Blue Rescue team, Pokemon like Magnemite, Absol, Latias and Gardevoir will join you after a mission by either asking to join you and you accept or right off the bat. In Time/Darkness/Sky, Mewtwo is only obtainable through a Challenge Letter and he WILL ask to join you post-game if you defeat him.

Anyway, Noob, you'll enjoy this game.

Now, since it's retail, I'm super excited for the game.

Thanks for the advice DarkWolf13

yeah I might think about getting this game. it sounds cool! :goodmood:

• 2 weeks later...

So according to the Japanese site for the game, the personality quiz returns, though this time, your partner is also decided by a quiz.

So to get a partner you need to answer some questions eh?? hmm. thats Interesting.........

I hope the natures are still the same from the previous entries.

Timid for Cyndaquil and Impish for Piplup.

They go by nature in this like the original series?? 

If one were to assume it's the same as the previous entries (excluding Gates to Infinity), then yes, the Pokémon you play as is based on the resulting personality (or 'nature') from the quiz. Male and female Pokémon had different natures, so Timid gave you Cyndaquil if you're male, but Turtwig if you're female.

The nature had no effect on stats, however.

If one were to assume it's the same as the previous entries (excluding Gates to Infinity), then yes, the Pokémon you play as is based on the resulting personality (or 'nature') from the quiz. Male and female Pokémon had different natures, so Timid gave you Cyndaquil if you're male, but Turtwig if you're female.

The nature had no effect on stats, however.

Ah! that makes more since now.... Well like I said I never played this series so when the time comes I'll understand it more. :bath: