Balrog_A (Vega) released by Felicity (23/02/2014)

Reason why I prefer english version for Street Fighter. How come Capcom Japan name this claw guy as "Balrog"? Doesn't sound fit and frightening at all...

Btw about this Vega, while testing him, I laugh like crazy when see this pose :awesome

eMxw2hE.png?1

When fight against him, we know Vega always has his cage coming down out of nowhere but since this Vega doesn't have that cage, it really funny to see Vega just crawling in mid air. Overall, I like this Vega. His AI is tough too!

How come Capcom Japan name this claw guy as "Balrog"? Doesn't sound fit and frightening at all...

It does not need to sound frightening. Balrog is just the name Japanese people know him under. Due to some probable localization issues (I think), they switched up the names of the "Evil Trio" causing

- the guy who is knows as Balrog in Japan to become the one we know as Vega;

- the guy who is known as Bison in Japan to become the one we know as Balrog;

-the guy who is known as Vega in Japan to become the one we know as Bison.

It does not need to sound frightening. Balrog is just the name Japanese people know him under. Due to some probable localization issues (I think), they switched up the names of the "Evil Trio" causing

- the guy who is knows as Balrog in Japan to become the one we know as Vega;

- the guy who is known as Bison in Japan to become the one we know as Balrog;

-the guy who is known as Vega in Japan to become the one we know as Bison.

Well we all already know why US Capcom change it. I know there's a issue about the Mike Tyson things but I don't care about that. Sometimes name also is a big part of the character, what type of his characteristic can be known by their name. I love how english version make the change and the name became fit.

M.Bison - This name is fit for a powerful yet a calm person. Obviously a leader type.

Vega - This name, sound evil, cruel also can be describe as a powerful person too, but this name does not fit for a calm person. It more to a name like a maniac, serial killer type person.

Balrog - Nothing to say...it does fit for that boxer more than the claw guy.

Balrog means "Cruel Demon" in Gnomish, so it's actually quite frightening :P

....And why i suddenly made up a TLOTR reference

LOL! Yea, you know when I see Gandalf spoken about the terrifying demon, I really excited about that demon but then when he say the demon name was Balrog, I laugh like no tomorrow :awesome

The US names are definitely a better fit.  Vega is a Spanish word/name. Balrog is an ugly monster thing.  And M.Bison...uhh...whatever.  He looks like some kinda communist or something, so his name could be just about anything.

So anyways...back on topic.  I don't really get this.  Is this supposed to be SFEX Claw?  It has EX moves like SF3 and it's definitely not MVC.  And wtf SFA3 PSX sprites?  It's actually scaled right, but it's not using cns scaling.  @_@

The reason the names were changed was because M. Bison sounded too much like "Mike Tyson" and Capcom of America feared a lawsuit because M.Bison (now Balrog in the US) looked too much like Mike Tyson to get away with it here. So the names were swapped. Somehow, Balrog, got involved in this mess, probably so it didn't seem like they were just swapping the names of two characters for legal reasons or possibly because Bison/Balrog didn't look right with the name "Vega".

As for who Mike Tyson was, the only way you wouldn't know is if you've been living under a rock. But for those of you that don't know who he is/was, he was a boxer that was popular back in the 80's and I think early 90's.