"Can't read file..." error for RicePigeon's Touhou: Incident Zero characters

Bashen12

Question

Hello! Sorry in advance if this is the wrong category for this type of problem.

I'm somewhat new to MUGEN and I'm having trouble with RicePigeon's "Touhou: Incident Zero" characters.

I followed the instructions on his "MUGEN Spot" website and the readme file included with the character download, but the game spits this error when playing the game with any of the characters. (this error happened with Youmu, but this happens with every IZ character)

Error detected.

Can't read file Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.cma
Error loading chars/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.def
Error loading p1

Clipboard tail:
Gameflow 10
Entering versus screen.
Unloading match assets
Freeing players
Game loop init
Versus screen init
End of versus screen loop
Game loop deinit
Gameflow 11
Loading match assets...
Loading stage...
  Loading BG...OK
Stage loaded OK
Setting game resolution 1280x960...OK
  Allocating helpers...OK
Match RNG seed: 1311303795
Reset persist vars team 1
Loading character chars/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.def...
  Loading info...OK
  Loading cmd command set Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.cma...Character Youmu_THIZ.def failed to load

It seems that the game can't understand the cma and def files found in the character folder but I'm not sure why, and I also can't find anyone else who has had this problem aside from 1 dead thread on these forums.

I tested this on a fresh copy of MUGEN 1.1b with the 4GB RAM patch. Non-IZ characters work though. Anyone have a fix? Thanks for reading.

4 answers to this question

It's saying it can't find the file. The .def file expects there to be a Youmu_THIZ folder within the same directory, wherein the character files are stored.

In your case, that would be:
chars/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.def

chars/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.cma

The .def and the rest of the character files should not be in the same folder, no.

Inside your chars folder, you have the Youmu_THIZ folder where the .def should be; inside that same folder, there should be another Youmu_THIZ folder, where the rest of the character files are.

9 hours ago, PlasmoidThunder said:

It's saying it can't find the file. The .def file expects there to be a Youmu_THIZ folder within the same directory, wherein the character files are stored.

In your case, that would be:
chars/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.def

chars/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ/Youmu_THIZ.cma

Thank you for the reply. The .def and .cma files are in the Youmu_THIZ folder. Unless I'm misinterpreting the answer you gave, are the .def and .cma files not supposed to be in that folder or are they supposed to be in the chars folder?

1 hour ago, PlasmoidThunder said:

The .def and the rest of the character files should not be in the same folder, no.

Inside your chars folder, you have the Youmu_THIZ folder where the .def should be; inside that same folder, there should be another Youmu_THIZ folder, where the rest of the character files are.

Oh okay, I understand now. Your solution worked and now the character works like a charm now. Thank you for the help!