Custom Shinobi Shou updated 2013-09-13

Werewood

Custom Shinobi Shou

Exclusively announced in MUGEN FREE FOR ALL, my new MUGEN home

MUGEN Characters 1500 Series: Custom Shinobi Shou
by Borewood
Custom Shinobi Shou is from Shin Shinobi Den (Sega Saturn)

Posted Image

Shinobis from different Sega generations meet each other in MUGEN!

Video Previewhttp://en.niconico.sarashi.com/?sm21571063

GIF Preview:

Posted Image

update_notes_2013-09-13:
- made sure that AssertSpecial flag = nomusic for intro, KO, and win states now are working...

update_notes_2013-08-12b:
- added blood splash effect for all slashes
- increased the volume of intro, KO, and win music
- added AssertSpecial flag = nomusic for intro, KO, and win states

update_notes_2013-08-12:
- fixed the standing animation blue hit box for Shou's head
- fixed the jumping animation blue hit box for Shou's extended right leg
- made the after images resulted by the Shadow Dancer (D,DF,F,D,DF,F, x) of Shou more solid and more red
- used HitDef Snap= 70, 0 to move P2 close to the sword red hit box when P2 is hit by the Ultimate Technique of Ninjutsu (a/b/c)

Posted Image

As for the source game blood VFX, I actually tried to rip but failed.......just too hard.......... :bow:

Downloadhttps://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7DB65F02B0BBD12E

* Custom MUGEN Characters 1500 Series

- source game: Shin Shinobi Den (Sega Saturn)
- intro: Some Sega Shinobi fans dislike this Sega Saturn version, yet I only care whether it has MUGEN potential or not....
- plan: all custom moves and perhaps source game super moves to be kept
- sprites: being ripped by Borewood, by his half-assly "take-screenshots-and-clean-images" method
* I could not find any rips of this Shin Shinobi Den game anywhere so I had to do it myself....
- sounds: FessX's SSF can let me rip all the Shin Shinobi Den sounds I need
- FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/574699-shinobi-legions/images
- More info.:  http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinobi/shinobi5.htm
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-saturn/shinobi-legions
- some online source game videos:  please see credits below
- source game manual:  please see the included Sega_Saturn_Shin_Shinobi_Den_JP_Manual.pdf file

----------
Custom Shinobi Shou
----------

Normal Moves:
 Light Slash x
 Medium Slash   y
 Hard Slash   z

Throw Moves:
 hold forward + y
 hold forward + z (can juggle P2 afterwards)

Unique Moves:      
 Crouching walk (hold down while walking)
 Wall jump (back and front)
 High jump (hold up while running, and hold down to drop faster)
 "Golden Axe style air down sword thrust" (run -> jump -> hold downward -> y)

Special Moves:
Shinobi Shuriken (ground only)  D,DF,F, x/y/z (can be destroyed by P2's attacks)
Shinobi Shurikens (air only)  D,DB,B, x/y/z (can be destroyed by P2's attacks)
Shinobi Spin (ground only)  D,DB,B, x/y/z (in the first few frames, hold forward or backward to move side ways)
      * before the end of animation, press x for a forward spin
      * before the end of animation, press y for a upward spin
      * before the end of animation, press z for a downward spin
Shinobi Kick (ground only)   F,D,DF, x/y/z (the on-ground last hit can hit a lying P2)
Shinobi Stealth (ground only)  B,D,DB, x/y/z  (press x/y/z in stealthing to reset)
      * B,D,DB, x to do backward ground roll when hit by P2
      * B,D,DB, y to do upward small jump when hit by P2
      * B,D,DB, z to do forward ground roll when hit by P2
      ** Shou takes half the damages hit by P2

Super Moves:
Shadow Dancer (ground only)  D,DF,F,D,DF,F, x (requires and consumes power=1000/3000)
       * for a limited time period, all normal attacks except "Golden Axe style air down sword thrust", can hit P2 multiple times
       * for a limited time period, all normal attacks  except "Golden Axe style air down sword thrust", can be chained into each other but not a single self
       * Shou cannot use Shadow Dancer when Bishamon is activated
Thunder Dragon (ground only) D,DF,F,D,DF,F, y (requires and consumes power=1000/3000)
       * Shou summons Thunder Dragon to release thunder attack
       * Thunder Dragon will not appear when P2 is guarding/blocking, so, only 500/3000 will be consumed
Bishamon (ground only) D,DF,F,D,DF,F, z (requires and consumes power=1000/3000)
       * for a limited time period, all normal attacks except "Golden Axe style air down sword thrust", can call at most two Bishamon helpers at a time
       * Shou cannot use Bishamon when Shadow Dancer is activated

Hyper Move:
Ultimate Technique of Ninjutsu (ground only)  
      a/b/c (requires and consumes power=1000/3000 and Shou's life is about 100/1000 left)
       * Shou runs forward and when he is near P2 he will make the ultimate instant-kill slash
       * P2 without guarding/blocking it will take out 100% of P2's life
       * P2 with guarding/blocking it will take out 50% of P2's life
       * P2 can probably dodge it during the bullet-time slow slash moment

This MUGEN character comes with its own MUGEN stage and BGM
i.e.
Custom_Shinobi_Shou/Custom_Shinobi_Shou.def, stages/ShinShinobiDenStage2Boss.def, music=sound/ShinShinobiDenStage2Boss.mp3

Credit:

cubex55 - Sega Saturn Shinobi X Longplay (

)
amagishien - Sega Saturn Shin Shinobi Den Longplay (
)
replacementdocs.com - Sega Saturn Shin Shinobi Den manual (http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.7496)

Thank you:

Sega - Shin Shinobi Den (Sega Saturn)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/574699-shinobi-legions/images
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinobi/shinobi5.htm
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-saturn/shinobi-legions
FessX - SSF (Sega Saturn emulator)
VirtuallTek Systems - Fighter Factory Classic

MUGEN Free For All  http://mugenfreeforall.com/ - Borewood's new MUGEN home
Elecbyte  http://www.elecbyte.com/ - MUGEN

Again, nice one...

Didn´t had much time to test, but...

- normal jump is way too low, make him jump higher... Why not use that great rolling animation in his jump, like you used for the air Shurikens? Animation looks so smooth in the source game...

Again, nice one...

Didn´t had much time to test, but...

- normal jump is way too low, make him jump higher... Why not use that great rolling animation in his jump, like you used for the air Shurikens? Animation looks so smooth in the source game...

normal jump too low?  well, his normal jump height is about KFM's level which I think is appropriate, for I already gave Shou a running high jump.

in the Sega Saturn source game, Shou has two levels of jumps, 1st is the one you consider too low in MUGEN, 2nd one is the spinning one I used for Shou's air Shurikens and Shinobi Spin (D,DB,B, x/y/z) in MUGEN.

I think I have already ripped all of Shou's jump animations from (SSF Sega Saturn emulator by FessX).  If you recall my old Golden Axe The Duel Kain Blade and Golden Axe final boss then you know I used the same SSF emulator to rip most of their sprites.

And, by looking at the number of SF4 Juri Han and Omni and SSFIV AE PC Oni "2.5D sprites" I ripped, I guess you don't have to doubt the power of my current PC when it comes to game emulator ripping..........because I usually rip as many frames as I can see on my screen.....

Maybe it has something to do with that low clsn on his leg while jumping...

Posted Image

Try it, sometimes I can´t jump WITH Shinobi over Shinobi... :bow:

Stand clsn needs a little work on the head...

Posted Image

Maybe you can position p2 in the Ultimate Technique of Ninjutsu hyper that he get´s hit by the end of the sword and not so near to the hilt. How about adding some Shinobi X blood effect?

Posted Image

NERDGASM... If I remember correct, Shinobi had a double jump in the Mega Drive games (hitting jump twice), and he would do that rolling animation after the normal jump in that games... Dunno how it was in Shinobi X. Just sayin´... XD

IMO Shadow Dancer after images have to look "more solid", this "blue" doesn´t fit. Dunno how and if he had that move in Shinobi X and I can´t remember how it looked in those Mega Drive games...

I really enjoy how much passion and work I can see in your creations! Keep up the good work!

update_notes_2013-06-12:
- fixed the standing animation blue hit box for Shou's head
- fixed the jumping animation blue hit box for Shou's extended right leg
- made the after images resulted by the Shadow Dancer (D,DF,F,D,DF,F, x) of Shou more solid and more red
- used HitDef Snap= 70, 0 to move P2 close to the sword red hit box when P2 is hit by the Ultimate Technique of Ninjutsu (a/b/c)

Posted Image

As for the source game blood VFX, I actually tried to rip but failed.......just too hard.......... :bow:

>> NERDGASM... If I remember correct, Shinobi had a double jump in the Mega Drive games (hitting jump twice), and he would do that rolling animation after the normal jump in that games... Dunno how it was in Shinobi X. Just sayin´... XD

Well, the Sega Saturn version also uses press-jump-button-twice to make Shou double jump.  Shou's 1st jump is like that, both in the source game and in MUGEN.  I just used the 2nd double jump animation (rolling/spinning) for Shou's air Shurikens and Shinobi Spin (D,DB,B, x/y/z) in MUGEN, so it is one of the inaccurate part that I made.

WOW, you´re fast...

Good update!

Maybe use MK blood sprites?

Well, the Sega Saturn version also uses press-jump-button-twice to make Shou double jump.  Shou's 1st jump is like that, both in the source game and in MUGEN.  I just used the 2nd double jump animation (rolling/spinning) for Shou's air Shurikens and Shinobi Spin (D,DB,B, x/y/z) in MUGEN, so it is one of the inaccurate part that I made.

It´s not all about "source accuracy" (p.e. can´t rip the blood from the source game, use a fitting substitute instead). It´s good the way you made it. :bow:

update_notes_2013-08-12b: - added blood splash effect for all slashes - increased the volume of intro, KO, and win music - added AssertSpecial flag = nomusic for intro, KO, and win states  

Please re-download the Custom_Shinobi_Shou_2013-08-12b.zip :)

And thank you Staubhold and ZombieBrock for your kind support!

Good update!

Love the blood effect!

Looks like the nomusic AssertSpecial is not working properly. BG music starts way to soon in the intro (you can still hear the Shinobi intro music, but the stage music already kicks in) and it´s NOT working in his KO animation. Win is working fine...

• 2 weeks later...

Good update!

Love the blood effect!

Looks like the nomusic AssertSpecial is not working properly. BG music starts way to soon in the intro (you can still hear the Shinobi intro music, but the stage music already kicks in) and it´s NOT working in his KO animation. Win is working fine...

I see........well I will see what I can do to fix this........thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...