[SNES] EarthBound

TheFclass97

I don't. Too me the game seemed overrated, and the fanbase is crazy. Plus they are willing to do anything to get another mother/earthbound game, I mean saying stuff like "DON'T GIVE US XENOBLADE THE LAST STORY AND PANDORA'S TOWER, I'll TRADE ALL THREE FOR MOTHER!" Paying 1,000 dollars for a fresh in the box mother/earthbound snes game, And constantly getting death treating me about my Lucas work in progress WHICH IS NOW CANCELLED!!! So yeah no I don't like it.

I consider the Mother series one of the most well-written jRPGs I have played, with Mother 3 being my favorite and I would absolutely recommend that everyone who has had an interest in playing one of the games to go ahead and give it a play through.

I mean saying stuff like "DON'T GIVE US XENOBLADE THE LAST STORY AND PANDORA'S TOWER, I'll TRADE ALL THREE FOR MOTHER!" Paying 1,000 dollars for a fresh in the box mother/earthbound snes game

Nobody in the history of ever has said that. And you can buy the game with a case off of eBay for at least under $300, about $150 for just the cartridge. People being brazen and thinking they can charge over $1000 to sell a game wont be getting money any time soon.

I really love games with awful humor, annoying sound-quality, tepid shallow game-play, and a rabid fan-base. In all seriousness, I do not like Earthbound. ...At all. I really don't get what makes it so great, to be honest.

It's because of it's different take on the excuse me... "generic" aspect of rpg game before and today. It was corky, awkward, and somewhat "funny" ways of the game, memorable characters and villains, and as well as its mechanics of the game. Not to mention, you can blame Super Smash Bro.s for introducing the characters to most earthbound and/or SSB fans. 

It's because of it's different take on the excuse me... "generic" aspect of rpg game before and today.

Yeah, generic by-the-numbers Dragon Quest style gameplay, only with a guts system. It even borrows the whole "All characters start at level 1" idea from Dragon Quest 2. The "guts" system is the only real quirk in the battle system. There's also the fact that enemies are not random in this game, but that's not really a big deal.

It was corky, awkward, and somewhat "funny" ways of the game, memorable characters and villains, and as well as its mechanics of the game.

I found NOTHING in the game to be quirky, funny, or memorable. Just random. Every single character and joke in the game had no substance to them except that they were trying to be different and unexpected. Never ONCE did I laugh at anything in the game, and more often than not the jokes made me groan really loudly.

I'm also sick of how a lot of the fanbase treats the nay-sayers. I've met few Earthbound fans who actually respect people's opinion to not like Earthbound, and the ones who say they do act like they absolutely HAVE to defend the game and tell the person how wrong they are for their opinion.

Well, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or invalid, I'm just saying it from MY perspective. I see that you have a different taste to rpg's, or games in general. I understand and accept your opinion, I just like EarthBound and I MYSELF think of it as a classic. In addition, I don't HAVE to defend EarthBound. I'm just spreading my like for it as a gamer, trying to find and locate the people who likes this games for all of it's "differences." If you don't like it, I understand, and I know what you're saying. I respect your opinions and decisions and I won't change your mind, but I still like EarthBound and I shall continue liking. Like I said earlier, I'm not crazy or insane fan trying to force you in, I just wanna see who likes and who doesn't like the game (even though I stated ecstatically, "Who doesn't love dat gayum?!!!!") in a very stupid manner  :=D: . That's my response... Fclass out....

If you're going to come in with cynicism against something that is generally loved by numerous people, you're going to have to expect some form of backlash and people are going to tell you why they're right about something and why you're wrong. Not to say that your opinion is wrong by any means, because it's well, your opinion, man. It's just a natural response from people. If I go into some Pokemon forum and say that the Pokemon series is nothing but rehashes with a new map and a hundred more Pokemon that are over-designed pieces of garbage, I don't expect "Well I strongly disagree with you,but it's your opinion and I respect that." No, I'm going to expect "DURR, SHUT-UP YOU'RE WRONG YOU DUMBASS." That's taking things into the extreme, but I hope you get the point.  

I noticed that only happens with games I don't like, though. I usually don't see that sort of attitude when people bash Pokemon or Sonic or Street Fighter or CastleVania etc. Heck, I don't even see people defend those games. But don't even THINK of saying anything even slightly negative about Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Halo, Fallout, Call of Duty, Shooting Games in general (They're all the same to me), or Earthbound. That's how it goes in almost anywhere I go to on the internet.

If you're going to come in with cynicism against something that is generally loved by numerous people, you're going to have to expect some form of backlash and people are going to tell you why they're right about something and why you're wrong. Not to say that your opinion is wrong by any means, because it's well, your opinion, man. It's just a natural response from people. If I go into some Pokemon forum and say that the Pokemon series is nothing but rehashes with a new map and a hundred more Pokemon that are over-designed pieces of garbage, I don't expect "Well I strongly disagree with you,but it's your opinion and I respect that." No, I'm going to expect "DURR, SHUT-UP YOU'RE WRONG YOU DUMBASS." That's taking things into the extreme, but I hope you get the point.  

Funny... I had the same conversation with one of my friends, so i see your point sweetfire, & I hope you see mines...

I noticed that only happens with games I don't like, though. I usually don't see that sort of attitude when people bash Pokemon or Sonic or Street Fighter or CastleVania etc. Heck, I don't even see people defend those games. But don't even THINK of saying anything even slightly negative about Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Halo, Fallout, Call of Duty, Shooting Games in general (They're all the same to me), or Earthbound. That's how it goes in almost anywhere I go to on the internet.

Im sorry but, I don't see where your taking this...

Amen brother!

• 3 weeks later...

What's there to explain?

Games I like = Allowed to be hated, even for dumb reasons. People usually respect the opinion or even buy into it without a counter-argument to defend their game.

Games I don't like = NOT allowed to be hated or even disliked for any reason whatsoever, or at least that's how it feels to me. Earthbound seems to be no different. Anyone says anything bad about it, people just HAVE to defend their beloved franchise.

Sorry, but I have NOT SEEN ANYONE on the internet say about NOT HATING Earthbound. In addition, EVERY VIDEO GAME HAS A LIKE OR DISLIKES IT! You can't just simply say YOU always encounters that issue because guess what, EVERYONE has that same feeling for every game they like or dislike. Video games aren't perfect, and franchises don't always have ppl saying don't talk shit about this game (especially Capcom and CoD). I hope that makes sense..

I don't. Too me the game seemed overrated, and the fanbase is crazy. Plus they are willing to do anything to get another mother/earthbound game, I mean saying stuff like "DON'T GIVE US XENOBLADE THE LAST STORY AND PANDORA'S TOWER, I'll TRADE ALL THREE FOR MOTHER!" Paying 1,000 dollars for a fresh in the box mother/earthbound snes game, And constantly getting death treating me about my Lucas work in progress WHICH IS NOW CANCELLED!!! So yeah no I don't like it.

I was hardly excited when it came on Nintendo Direct.

Sorry, but I have NOT SEEN ANYONE on the internet say about NOT HATING Earthbound. In addition, EVERY VIDEO GAME HAS A LIKE OR DISLIKES IT! You can't just simply say YOU always encounters that issue because guess what, EVERYONE has that same feeling for every game they like or dislike. Video games aren't perfect, and franchises don't always have ppl saying don't talk shit about this game (especially Capcom and CoD). I hope that makes sense..

Whoa! Chill, bro. I was just saying that I only noticed people who absolutely have to defend a game if it's a certain franchise, I wasn't trying to insult anyone or anything like that. Also, I was responding to something Sweetfire said.

In my own opinion Earthbound gets too much praise then it deserves. it's not even affordable on the Wii U's Virtual Console. Why is it $10.99? other classics are $6.99 or $5.99, I mean seriously WTF? why $10.99 for a classic? it's not even worth that much as a cartridge it's only $2.99 where I live. The best Earthbound I played is the one with Ninten in it. Ness' appearance in the Super Smash Brothers series is what made Earthbound overrated in the first place.

Whoa! Chill, bro. I was just saying that I only noticed people who absolutely have to defend a game if it's a certain franchise, I wasn't trying to insult anyone or anything like that. Also, I was responding to something Sweetfire said.

I know, I was just emphasizing what my expression was to your comment, not blasting in hatred or anger :=D:

In my own opinion Earthbound gets too much praise then it deserves. it's not even affordable on the Wii U's Virtual Console. Why is it $10.99? other classics are $6.99 or $5.99, I mean seriously WTF? why $10.99 for a classic? it's not even worth that much as a cartridge it's only $2.99 where I live. The best Earthbound I played is the one with Ninten in it. Ness' appearance in the Super Smash Brothers series is what made Earthbound overrated in the first place.

yeah, you are on the right track. I honestly don't think EarthBound should be THAT expensive, or sold in such a great price! It's not like it's a rare game like Nintendo World Champion or anything like that, it's just a great game (In my opinion). Besides, I play EarthBound on an emulator anyways :=D: