Tutorial on Palette Making?

Cook4251

Question

Quick Question if anyone is kind enough to lend some advice or tips.

I've have my eye on palette making for a while now like towards the OHMSBY styled characters and i was wondering if there was a tutorial/guide on making said palettes? I have Fighter Factory 3. Should i have another version and how would i go about saving and creating palettes because i am very interested into making some OHMSBY styled palettes someday.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

I don't know your knowledge or experience with FF3 / FFS, So i'm going to explain it like you don't know anything.

Open the character of your choice.

Select the Palettes tab from the top ribbon, Select Advanced Palette Editor or press (CTRL + P) apparently.

pal1.png

From this point, Depending on your sprite, select the magnifying glass and zoom into your image.

Then select the Ink Dropper tool and while you are picking the colors from the character HOLD CTRL, and then click on the colors.

OR Click and Drag to select multiple ones at once.

When you select a color a black or white box will appear on the color in the palette section. Thats how you know what you selected.

pal2.png

After you have your color of choice, Using the Slides on the bottom left, you can recolor to your choice.

H is for Hue, which will let you change the overall hue of the sprites, essentially strolling through the rainbow.

S is Saturation, Towards the Left is -255 Saturation (Greys out) Middle is 0 Saturation (Default colors) , and to the Right has +255 Saturation (Brightens)

R Will adjust the RED value, Like above moving it to the left is -255 Red (Dark Red) right is 255 Red (Bright Red)

G Will adjust the GREEN value, Like above moving it to the left is -255 Red (Dark Green) right is 255 Red (Bright Green)

B Will adjust the BLUE value, Like above moving it to the left is -255 Red (Dark Blue) right is 255 Red (Bright Blue)

pal3.png

After you've made your palette Click on the Double Floppy Disk icon (Save as Group/Index in sprites editor..)

pal4.png

The Add window will appear.

Characters are by default allowed 12 Palettes

Group 1, Index 1

Group 1, Index 2

Group 1, Index 3

Group 1, Index 4

Group 1, Index 5

Group 1, Index 6

Group 1, Index 7

Group 1, Index 8

Group 1, Index 9

Group 1, Index 10

Group 1, Index 11

Group 1, Index 12

So you will set your Group to 1, and Index to whatever palette number you want it to be.

I hope this helped!