[Ps1] Dragon ball Z Ultimate Battle 22

raremew

Ultimate Battle 22 was released on playstation in 1995 in Japan and 1996 in Europe. The game is called "Ultimate Battle 22" because it features 22 characters at the beginning of the game (5 more characters can be unlocked). The game is notable for using actual cel drawings from the animators as character sprites and cutscenes before the fights which were a novelty at the time of its original release in Japan (these cutscenes were removed on the European and US releases). When Ultimate Battle 22 was officially released by Atari in North America, eight years after its Japanese release, no English dub track was produced and the pre-battle cutscenes were removed. Characters have two different meter to display status: a basic health meter and strength meter.The fighters have an array of basic close-up punches and kicks, as well as special attacks that require a motion with the directional buttons and attack input. Most special attacks are based on actual moves used by characters in the anime/manga.Like the previous installments of the Butōden series, Ultimate Battle 22 has two levels of gameplay: grounded or in the air. By pressing triangle, the player's character will rise up and levitate, and if the other character does so, the camera goes to a dynamic aerial view. It does not have major effects on gameplay except for the different camera angles. In addition, if a character is hit with an attack that does heavy damage while aerial, they will plummet downwards an receive additional damage (much like fights in the regular anime).Most characters have some sort of Ki Blast attack, melee attack, or "approach" attack. Doing special attacks drains the "strength" meter. Like in the previous fighting games of the series, when the meter is fully drained, the character will be "exhausted" and cannot move until strength is recovered or until being hit. To restore strength, one must hold square, X, and circle. The character will then do the signature "charge" pose by glowing in yellow aura and yelling. The player can also create a large Energy Shield (or Force Field in the case of Androids) for a brief moment by pressing right, down, and left on the control pad, and then pressing circle. While doing so, the player cannot be harmed by energy-based attacks, but is completely vulnerable to melee attacks.

http-~~-//youtu.be/L01k-sQL8mo

http-~~-//youtu.be/BK-6nWLrxPc

Oh yes definately one of my favorite DBZ games. I enjoyed the japanese version more because of those little anime cutscenes before battle. I was shocked and appauled that the english version cut that stuff out. Personally speaking i think Gotenks had the most abusive super, spamming projectiles.

• 2 months later...

DBZUB22 is a really shit game. The controls are hella slow, Sprites were ripped from a previous SNES game and slapped on a 3d background which looks really bad, and the animation is incredibly choppy. I haven't played the Sega Saturn version but I really don't know why you guys give this game so much praise.

huh? I really dont think its that bad. at first yeah it was kinda slow paced, and the controls were weird, but after playing it for awhile you get to understanding the game. sides its a classic. this game is not shit, I still like this game. I understand the animations are choppy and crappy, but it was ps1 what can you expect...

sides its a classic. this game is not shit.

Ultimate Battle 22 was the subject of an overwhelming number of negative American reviews. The original Japanese game came out in 1995, and thus, by comparison to the more recent titles of the time, the game paled.

-GameSpot give it a 1.2/10, calling it a "really, really terrible game."

-X-Play said it was "a waste of time and money."

-Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine gave it a 1/5, the second lowest score possible.

-Electronic Gaming Monthly said that "someone crapped in a jewel case and passed it off as a game."

-Overall, it has a 32% on GameRankings.

-IGN gave it a 4.0.

I understand the animations are choppy and crappy, but it was ps1 what can you expect...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSxfs9fC0vA

That.

DBZUB22 is a really shit game. The controls are hella slow, Sprites were ripped from a previous SNES game and slapped on a 3d background which looks really bad, and the animation is incredibly choppy. I haven't played the Sega Saturn version but I really don't know why you guys give this game so much praise.

time to point out how wrong you are.

the sprites are NOT from the snes games, there remade from scratch to look hand drawn like the anime. NOTHING IS REUSED FROM THE SNES.

animation is not choppy, animation is fluid, its just they dont move during some moves, they stay stationary. which you must not be used to since in other fighting games they move duing special moves.

the Saturn version is supposedly superior.

also there is another game for the Saturn called Shin Botuden which uses these same sprites and follows the Butoden gameplay. Which in my opinion is great.

you will not like this game OR understand how wonderful it is, unless you've played the older games on the snes, and or grew up with it.

time to point out how wrong you are.

the sprites are NOT from the snes games, there remade from scratch to look hand drawn like the anime.

I was misinformed about the sprites, but I a bit more research and learned that they where original sprites, so I'll give you that. But the game both enlarged and shrunk the sprites, making quality really bad.

animation is not choppy, animation is fluid, its just they dont move during some moves, they stay stationary. which you must not be used to since in other fighting games they move duing special moves.

I'm not really used to animating using gimp, but I'm too lazy to use fighter factory so sorry for the shitty gif.

Posted Image

I think that's pretty choppy considering the game was about twice as slow.

you will not like this game OR understand how wonderful it is, unless you've played the older games on the snes, and or grew up with it.

I still own the game, along with the original case. About seven or eight years ago I would come home from school and play Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22. I beat Arcade with all the characters, unlocked the extra 5 secret characters, and won every mini tournament that me and other friends would hold, I loved this game (that later changed over time of course). It was about 4 or 5 years since I bought my first PlayStation 2 since my parents believed I should buy things with my own money. I still do not own a current gen system. I still have my NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and Playstation.

I was just giving my honest opinion on this game, and sorry if I came out so brutal. You guys may see a diamond in the rough, I see a lump of coal, can we please end the argument on that note?

• 5 months later...