Making Intro

sesdef

Question

Hello- (Sorry if this post might be inaccurate, I'm not experienced posting in this section.)

Sorry if this question sounds a bit silly, but

Specifically talking (in regards of making an Intro), I wanted to ask, how do I make a character walk(run) from outside the stage INTO the stage (And walk(run) to his starting position)?

I tried things like:

; Intro 3 - Against himself
[Statedef 193]
type = S
ctrl = 0
anim = 193
velset = -999,0 ; Setting the x parameter into -999 to make the character start out of... screen bounds?

Will this do, or am I doing it all wrong? I'm pretty sure this is not correct. Help is appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Alright you guys, thanks for everything. I figured it out.

All I did was use a Helper.

The helper was the running animation. Being a seperate statedef, I made a helper in the Intro statedef and pointed it towards the other one (running animation). I gave the helper a negative pos, then I went on to give the helper a velset (for running) and destroyself (once he stops running, he switches into his intro animation), and lastly made an empty frame of about 61 time in the Intro animation (in which the running animation takes place). And then, kirby was running in from the side of the screen.

Once again, thank you guys.

(Sorry for double-posting.)

For that you need to add velset code

for example in my Yagami-AD Intro

Iori2 comes from right side screen towards Iori1
code is :

[state 99]

type = velset

trigger1 = time =161

x = -8

[state 99]

type = velset

trigger1 = time =191

x = 0

in the animation..he moves from ticks 161 towards Iori1 to make contact..and at ticks 191 he stops so "x= 0" makes him stop..he dashes towards iori1. here you will need to add walking or running [as u like] sprites for animation. here is the video Intro video of Yagami-AD  If you see you'll know what i am talking about
Remember its a code for Iori2 [Another Iori] who is standing on right corner of the screen.

Hope it helps .

For that you need to add velset code

for example in my Yagami-AD Intro

Iori2 comes from right side screen towards Iori1
code is :

Hidden Content

in the animation..he moves from ticks 161 towards Iori1 to make contact..and at ticks 191 he stops so "x= 0" makes him stop..he dashes towards iori1. here you will need to add walking or running [as u like] sprites for animation. here is the video Intro video of Yagami-AD  If you see you'll know what i am talking about
Remember its a code for Iori2 [Another Iori] who is standing on right corner of the screen.

Hope it helps .

Oh, thanks for the information--

From what I see though, the character does not seem to be coming from off-screen. (He is already standing IN the screen)

Well, if I had to depict it, it'd be something like this:

f41c819f63ccb951ef4556d09f45ddec.png

(Kirby is seen here halfway in the stage, for example. His other part on the gray on the picture isn't seen.)

My aim however is to make him come in the stage while he's off-screen. I know I can do this with the sprites (move them all in a way to make it seem like he's running in), but I really wanted to do it using VelSets because it saves a lot of more time (and would probably be more useful).

Thanks though, your help was appreciated.

Glad to hear that. as i presumed you will know it.
there are few other ways to do it. i mean there are other codes as well..beside just velset.

Mess with values and u will get it right..as long as it will takes.. and when u get it right..u r not gonna forget the thing.
that's how i use to do it...Good Luck (Y)

dunt forget to marked solved :troll:

I'm on my phone at work so I can't give you a perfect answer. I would use a PosSet that triggers at the start of the state with a negative value then have a velset in addition to that

You will need the Screenbound sctrl

I think I'm forgetting something

I'm on my phone at work so I can't give you a perfect answer. I would use a PosSet that triggers at the start of the state with a negative value then have a velset in addition to that

You will need the Screenbound sctrl

I think I'm forgetting something

Alright, I'll give it a try; I do remember doing something similar, but it hadn't worked. Maybe I had done something wrong, but I'm gonna work on it.

EDIT: As I noticed that PosSet would not do much, my eyes landed randomly on a command called Offset, and I did as follows:

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Intro 3 - Against himself

[Statedef 193]

type = S

ctrl = 0

anim = 193

velset = 0,0

[State 0, Offset]

type = Offset

trigger1 = 1

x = -700

y = 0

[State 0, ScreenBound]

type = ScreenBound

trigger1 = 1

value = 0

movecamera = 0,0

[State 0, VelSet]

type = VelSet

trigger1 = animelem = 1

x = 12

[State 0, VelSet]

type = VelSet

trigger1 = animelem = 25

x = 3

[State 0, VelSet]

type = VelSet

trigger1 = animelem = 35

x = 0

[State 191, 2] ;Assert this until you want "round 1, fight" to begin

type = AssertSpecial

trigger1 = 1

flag = Intro

[State 191, changestate]

type = ChangeState

trigger1 = animtime = 0

value = 0

With the Offset command, I can make  kirby start from outside the screen, and run from outside of the screen IN the screen. However, this still poses some problems: First of all, kirby does not run into his standing position;For some reason, he appears behind the opponent, and then he returns back to his standing position in front of the opponent (Once the narrator says 'Round 1'). There were a few other problems, but I'm not sure how I can explain them.

Can you guys help me on this one?

Is it okay to use the Offset command? I'd appreciate your help.

Offset just moves the character by the specified amount. Think of how you move them in the sff, it basically does that but moves their clsns as well.

I have some time today so i'll try to whip something up with KFM in a bit.

Oh, and I thought it moved him.. Well, okay, I see now, thanks.