The Apex

100SadPandas

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but here's a char I've been working on dubbed "Apex", still just a WIP.
bQTOfDh.gifwfEJVpi.gif Note, somethings wrong with the Fps
eJWrxDv.gifs40yorx.gifA65AUDh.gif0mGUQq7.gif  ZjxKkIV.png8Dh9Stg.gif8znxCpQ.gifS4yq3Ei.gif  usJdtV4.gif Note, still working on the walk.
tp21On2.gif   g5KaQXo.gif
I just finished these today, one fast and one slow. I was unsure which one to use for the strong kick.
Based off a comic book character I made up as a kid. 
What do you guys think? I really like seeing comments.

Oh i remember you from MFG

Nice Rock kick :P

Well now I feel bad because I don't remember you, did you have a different name there?

That's what I used for the base, looking at it now I made need to add one more frame and adjust the hands. But yeah I used Rock as a base. I'm also using Rouga, K', and some of Yamazaki. The 3rd one and the 2nd to last one of the second row are custom though.

Does your Apex have a certain backstory, because I'm assuming he's an OC of yours?

A little yeah, he was a little superhero character I made up as a kid, around 13-14.

So he works like this, or actually let me just copy and paste what I wrote somewhere else,

Basically, he's a human who can use the entirety of his brain, since regular people only use like 15%, or some number like that. The longer he fights, the stronger and more superhuman he gets. He has superhuman strength, speed, and stamina. But the more the brain allows him to use his powers, the more animalistic he gets. So when he reaches his 100%, he is no longer in control and only relies on his primal instincts. Once he regains control he forgets everything he's done while not in control. 

He's meant to have the fighting style of an unmotivated teenager, until he reaches 100%, then it's just predator like.

Like that.

Well now I feel bad because I don't remember you, did you have a different name there?

That's what I used for the base, looking at it now I made need to add one more frame and adjust the hands. But yeah I used Rock as a base. I'm also using Rouga, K', and some of Yamazaki. The 3rd one and the 2nd to last one of the second row are custom though.

Don't feel bad, i hardly post and i think i only posted in your wip thread maybe twice? Though I kept an eye on it. Most recently I posted about that dash animation you made (i made note of the foot needing work)

Your custom ones arent half bad, but i noticed your shading on those seem more linear(?)......well they could be a little rounded. Not too much obviously.

One more frame on the Rock one should be good.

If i wasnt about to head out i'd critique everything individually. I await further progress anyway, i love custom stuff :P

The kick looks better, it should be fine when coded since its such a short attack

---------------------------------------------

ZjxKkIV.png

The shading on the left leg(his left) seems a bit weird. It's too....straight imo. Could make it slightly rounder

Isnt this missing the shadow over the face?

A65AUDh.gif

This will prob look better ingame but something is a little off to me about this....cant really put my finger on it.

eJWrxDv.gif

Personally, I would add another frame or two to this one

Since Ryouga has so many frames in his attacks, it kinda makes your other moves look choppy. In terms of consistency, you can add more frames to everything (which would be better imo but of course more work), or cut down the frames on the Ryouga-base sprites

usJdtV4.gif

It could be the gif, but the leg shading could use minor touch ups on frames (they are a little inconsistent on some frames, though i can see why you shaded them a certain way)

-The wrinkle by the crotch area isnt there in each frame, i'd  just remove it in general since most of his sprites dont have it

-I can see his left leg near the belt loses a lot of light in one frame

-Mostly his right calf gets too much light on a frame or two

-That belt stays extended too long on one frame

I think that's all i got lol

The kick looks better, it should be fine when coded since its such a short attack

---------------------------------------------

ZjxKkIV.png

The shading on the left leg(his left) seems a bit weird. It's too....straight imo. Could make it slightly rounder

Isnt this missing the shadow over the face?

A65AUDh.gif

This will prob look better ingame but something is a little off to me about this....cant really put my finger on it.

eJWrxDv.gif

Personally, I would add another frame or two to this one

Since Ryouga has so many frames in his attacks, it kinda makes your other moves look choppy. In terms of consistency, you can add more frames to everything (which would be better imo but of course more work), or cut down the frames on the Ryouga-base sprites

usJdtV4.gif

It could be the gif, but the leg shading could use minor touch ups on frames (they are a little inconsistent on some frames, though i can see why you shaded them a certain way)

-The wrinkle by the crotch area isnt there in each frame, i'd  just remove it in general since most of his sprites dont have it

-I can see his left leg near the belt loses a lot of light in one frame

-Mostly his right calf gets too much light on a frame or two

-That belt stays extended too long on one frame

I think that's all i got lol

Crouch

I made the crouch before I decided to add the shading to the head so I'll for sure change that. The shading on the leg being straight is noted.

Light Kick

Well Alrighty Then.

Medium punch

Noted, however I've been thinking of replacing it with a different animation. Do you think this would be better or would it better used as a launcher?

IvdeeBg.gif

Walk

Yeah the walk is pretty bad, its on the backburner but I'll get to it soon. 

Thanks for the Feedback man.

So I thought I had this cool idea for a gameplay mechanic, but I wanted to run it by a few guys before I started spriting around the mechanic. 

What if when Apex dashed he was able to do special moves and chain hits coming out of the dash? I don't know if that was confusing or not but let me try explaining more into detail.
So here's the base I would use, ctPcZ0N.gif
And during the dash (the blurry part) if you were to input something like D,DF,F P, you would do a special move instead of going to the last frame. With this you would be able to continue combos like LP,MP,HP, F+HP where the enemy would be out of reach at F+HP. You could launch them into the air, knock them down, etc with the specials.

I just thought it would be an interesting mechanic and be something different and fun. What do you guys think?

qmHJrub.png    cSnE8yt.png   
I don't know if anyone cares to look when I update frame by frame, but here you go regardless! These are the first 2 frames of the fall anim!

Those Frames are coming along good especially this one

A65AUDh.gif