How do you improve this move...?

LansingWolverine

Question

Anyone remember Akatsuki Blitzkampf?

I freaking love the characters from it, but I realized something lately.

All of the characters have a parry-like move called a Reflect, normally done by pressing B in MUGEN.

Normally, it's pretty efficient in starting some combos, but only if you're facing other AB characters.

Most other MUGEN character is dominate all AB (except Marilyn, but she doesn't depend very often on the Reflect)

So, I was curious if anybody know how to extend the time an AB char holds the counterattack pose and make the counterattack do more damage.

Thanks for reading.

4 answers to this question

Normally, it's pretty efficient in starting some combos, but only if you're facing other AB characters.

Most other MUGEN character is dominate all AB (except Marilyn, but she doesn't depend very often on the Reflect)

Haha, you have no idea how to get the most out of your reflect, do you?

The counterattack does pitiful damage because that's not supposed to be your source of damage. It's what you do afterwards that gets you damage. After a successful reflect, the counter attack knocks the opponent in a juggle state where you can easily tack on a standing B or C, special cancel into a super cancel. The only exception is Mycale because her counterattack knocks them back further than usual and has to omit the Standing normal and go straight to a special(Which is fine, because the opponent will be far away where she works best) unless they're already in the corner. You'll have to change combo depending on whether your reflect is a standing, crouching or air reflect, but generally you want to do SOMETHING after the counter attack.

Think about that before you decide you still want to improve an already good mechanic,

Haha, you have no idea how to get the most out of your reflect, do you?

The counterattack does pitiful damage because that's not supposed to be your source of damage. It's what you do afterwards that gets you damage. After a successful reflect, the counter attack knocks the opponent in a juggle state where you can easily tack on a standing B or C, special cancel into a super cancel. The only exception is Mycale because her counterattack knocks them back further than usual and has to omit the Standing normal and go straight to a special(Which is fine, because the opponent will be far away where she works best) unless they're already in the corner. You'll have to change combo depending on whether your reflect is a standing, crouching or air reflect, but generally you want to do SOMETHING after the counter attack.

Think about that before you decide you still want to improve an already good mechanic,

I probably should've explain a little bit more lol. I will admit, it's nice to see another AB player 'round here.

I don't mean for it to do a heck lotta damage, just maybe like 10-20 more damage in MUGEN standards. The only reason I want to add a little more oomph to the reflect is because in the MUGEN I'm using Akatsuki as a "challenger"-like character, kinda like Ryo in Fatal Fury Special. The only problem is that against most other characters, he loses most of the time. On a tier list, he's around maybe Mid-Bottom or Bottom tier. The only real advantages he has are some of his attacks having a nice quick recovery and a superb projectile. The reflect can only help him so much, since there's an odd bug that happens with 1/4th of the characters where the opponent has a chance to block right after attacking Akatsuki during a reflect. Characters like Captain Falcon have some moves that you have to counter more than once to fully parry it, but that little amount of damage for all that work seems a tad unfair. Some disadvantages Akatsuki has are his Lv. 3 super gives the opponent a huge amount of meter, and if blocked, gives the opponent a good chance to attack. His walk speed is on the slow side, he doesn't do well in the air, some moves have a hard time chaining with his supers, a lot of his moves have a low priority compared to most other characters, etc...

Basically, I think it would be wise to buff Akatsuki just a little bit more in my MUGEN since he has a bit of trouble with other characters.

Sorry if my grammar is on little on the sloppy side, I've been sleep-deprived for 2 days straight.

The duration is most likely the in the animation, but it would really help if you posted the code.

I've forgotten where some of this kind of stuff is, so I'll just post a link to the character.

http://page.freett.com/MKTMUGEN/

I probably should've explain a little bit more lol. I will admit, it's nice to see another AB player 'round here.

I don't mean for it to do a heck lotta damage, just maybe like 10-20 more damage in MUGEN standards. The only reason I want to add a little more oomph to the reflect is because in the MUGEN I'm using Akatsuki as a "challenger"-like character, kinda like Ryo in Fatal Fury Special. The only problem is that against most other characters, he loses most of the time. On a tier list, he's around maybe Mid-Bottom or Bottom tier.

Just what kind of mechanics do you have him going against?

The only real advantages he has are some of his attacks having a nice quick recovery and a superb projectile.

And being able to hit confirm into his Kick special move from almost any normal and super cancel into the super version from it for easy damage. He's also the shoto and generally has an answer for everything thrown at him.

The reflect can only help him so much, since there's an odd bug that happens with 1/4th of the characters where the opponent has a chance to block right after attacking Akatsuki during a reflect.

The reflect counter move isn't instant.

Characters like Captain Falcon have some moves that you have to counter more than once to fully parry it, but that little amount of damage for all that work seems a tad unfair.

Which moves? Multi hit moves need to be reflected multiple times first and when done successfully you'll get the juggle set up which again, is where the damage comes from.

Some disadvantages Akatsuki has are his Lv. 3 super gives the opponent a huge amount of meter, and if blocked, gives the opponent a good chance to attack.

Uh, not that much meter last I recall. And yea, I would expect to be able to punish a blocked move.

His walk speed is on the slow side, he doesn't do well in the air, some moves have a hard time chaining with his supers, a lot of his moves have a low priority compared to most other characters, etc...

He has a dash, AB isn't air game focused and even then Akatsuki can easily hit confirm any air normal into kick special or just go for his air throw. Akatsuki has great normals, has a special for every situation and his moveset overall complements him well.

Basically, I think it would be wise to buff Akatsuki just a little bit more in my MUGEN since he has a bit of trouble with other characters.

What character you fighting against? I need to know if you're not trying to do an uphill battle with a mechanic that far outclasses ABK's or against really broken stuff.