Shogakukan a copyright claim against a Rockman 8 AMV?

Toshio Tenma

Hello, guys!

I've recorded a video footage of Rockman 8 intro and swapped the music with Astro Boy 2003 intro "True Blue".

So, I got a notification saying that I was using content of Sony Pictures, but it would not cause changes in my account.

However, I checked my account on this morning and I got a copyright claim from "Tales of Megaman".

Which is weird, because footages from Video Game introductions like Rockman 8 should be completely fine.

Also, upon clicking in the original video link I read the video was removed by Shogakukan Production for copyright violation, however as far I can see they only have copyright in Rockman Exe anime and Rockman 8 is a video game which existed long time before that anime was aired.

What I should do?

Here is the link of the flagged video (You can view the claim by clicking in the "Rockman 8 [MAD]" shown at the top of the embed video:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ROMnnyNiLQ

That's the first time which I'm flagged for an video game AMV.

For what I read, Capcom consider video-game footage as fair use and Xebec only helped with the cutscenes which make odd any copyright claim in such AMV.

I read they own Tetsuwan Atom, but my video was mainly flagged due the "Rockman 8" title.

There is an AMV which I did which is a swapped music of Tetsuwan Atom 2003 with the song "Electrical Communication", but Shogakukan don't made a claim on said video.

That's what I got from the flagged video:

Posted Image

Capcom consider video-game footage as fair use

I thought that too, but I've seen copyright claims from using capcom's music....in their own games.(that's why I usually stick to arranges)

I don't think you can do much besides a counter notification.

I thought that too, but I've seen copyright claims from using capcom's music....in their own games.(that's why I usually stick to arranges)

I don't think you can do much besides a counter notification.

I used "True Blue" instead of "Electrical Communication", the claim was just because the intro.

But don't you find weird that 'Web' "Tales of Megaman"?

∗Why are you filing this counter-notification? (this will not be forwarded to the claimant)

That is a video game amv of Rockman 8 and not an anime credited by Shogakukan Production. I know Studio Xebec helped with the cutscenes, but is unlikely they would make a claim. I recorded it myself.