IKEMEN Generations Screenpack for IKEMEN Go 0.99 (HD 1280 x 720) by OroCrimson (Updated 3/07/2023)

OroCrimson

Warning: This Screenpack only works with IKEMEN Go version 0.99 set up with a 16:9 resolution! This is not designed to work on MUGEN.

I said I'd do it 4 months ago and I finally got around to it. This is a remaster of my MUGEN Generations screenpack, but for IKEMEN. While I kept the core simplistic design of the original, I wanted to correct what I considered to be some egregious errors as well as create all new health bars that look a lot more polished than the original, and take advantage of a lot of IKEMEN Go's additional features. Most especially, I wanted to let the user install this cleanly rather than providing it with a full MUGEN install like I did before. 

Features:
-A category-based screenpack, something I haven't seen for IKEMEN yet.
-Literally infinite character slots, believe it or not.
-Unlike MUGEN category-based select screens, it doesn't rely on an "invisible grid" that makes switching categories confusing.

-Really cool custom made lifebars based on KOF 2002

-Support for IKEMEN's additional features and modes.

Known jank: 

This screenpack uses IKEMEN's shared slot feature to allow for infinite character slots. This does create a few eccentricities not found in the MUGEN version however:

-When toggling through characters in a category, it'll change that slot for both players. It's best for both players not to browse the same category at the same time.
-When returning to the character select screen, rather than the cursor remembering what character you last chose, it'll instead be on the first character of the category you chose.
-There is no sound effect when switching between characters in the same category. 

There is nothing I can do to fix these issues, as that's just how the engine works with this feature at this time.

WARNING: The select.def used is located under data/ikegen/select.def. Do not use data/select.def, it won't work. Read the instructions in data/ikegen/select.def for how to add characters in the unique way this screenpack requires.

Update 1.0.2 - Updated for 0.99. That's the only change. If you're using 0.98.2, stick to version 1.0.1 (Found on AK1).

Update 1.0.1 - Fixed a pretty big bug, regarding the options menu. In version 1.0, scrolling down a long options list like in Game Options would cause the VS logo to appear in the top right of the menu. I realized I missed a component for that menu and have adjusted accordingly. Now small arrows appear when the list is bigger than what's on screen. If you're updating from version 1.0, you only need to replace system.def. 

Previews:

Spoiler

Main Menu

Spoiler

44iiGRI.png

Options Screen

Spoiler

snjeSb7.png

Character Select

Spoiler

VIOhiI5.png

Team Character Select

Spoiler

Un158wL.png

VS Screen

Spoiler

kQDOput.png

Lifebars

Spoiler

9Q3rUa8.png

YouTube

Spoiler

Downloads (v1.0.2): AndersonKenya1 GoogleDrive Mega Mediafire Discord

• 10 months later...

Hello, I really love this screenpack and the idea of an infinite, category based screenpack. But I was just curious if there is a way to change the name of the categories or add more categories? I'd really appreciate the help as the ability to customize the categories would make this the ultimate screenpack for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 6:34 AM, Theboombringer1 said:

Hello, I really love this screenpack and the idea of an infinite, category based screenpack. But I was just curious if there is a way to change the name of the categories or add more categories? I'd really appreciate the help as the ability to customize the categories would make this the ultimate screenpack for me.

Sort of, if you're willing to get your hands dirty. Check out my response to the review here, I share the gimp file and a tutorial on how to do this. 
You can't change the number of categories (without really digging in and changing the screenpack, in which case I'd look into how screenpacks are made) but with this tutorial you can replace the existing ones with whatever you like. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wondered if there was a limit to Ikemen's slot concept. I use it a lot myself. 

This is a cool screenpack but it does become cumbersome if you have a lot of characters loaded (over 1000 and growing myself) so while it may be "infinite" in theory maybe not the best for large collections unless you have a lot of patience for scrolling. For a more normal collection this thing is fairly awesome and I kind of dig the background.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:01 PM, Rishabh Sahu said:

Hi , I really like your work ,and it is really cool. Thanks for posting this . If you plan to update this screenpack in future it would be really great if you could add stage select previews as well .

The main reason I haven't set up stage previews is because most stages don't support them out of the box anyway and I'm not certain how standardized they are. For the work it takes for someone to set up their build with stage previews, it doesn't seem like much of an extension for them to add the stage preview themselves. 

That being said, I might get around to adding them myself as an optional addon. I wouldn't want to offer troubleshooting for it though, because I do think stage previews take a little more advanced knowledge to utilize and my screenpacks are mainly meant to be as plug and play as possible. (Hence why I don't do things like custom portraits.)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How to add characters in this screenpack? The characters added to select.def simply don't appear in the selection menu. And if they are within the same category, then how to choose them? How do I add characters to a certain category? It's a cool screenpack, but I absolutely don't understand how to add or select characters here.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:57 AM, noir11 said:

How to add characters in this screenpack? The characters added to select.def simply don't appear in the selection menu. And if they are within the same category, then how to choose them? How do I add characters to a certain category? It's a cool screenpack, but I absolutely don't understand how to add or select characters here.

I'm sorry, I'm surprised I didn't write this in the instructions. You have to edit data/ikegen/select.def, not data/select.def.

They also have to be formatted in a special way there, but that's explained in the (correct) select.def.

As for how you choose them, you use up/down to select category and left/right to select a character in that category.

• 2 weeks later...