Anri (Released 02/01/2019)

MoloMowChow

For M.U.G.E.N v1.1

Download Link (v1.0):
http://tstorage.info/1mi16klo47bg

Anri is a Jazz themed MUGEN character. Her gimmick is filling the stage with several different musical notes, which has various effects on both Anri and the opponent depending on how many kinds of musical notes Anri has collected, and which ones the opponent has around them.
Anri needs power meter to use her stronger moves, and relies on Musical note collection to quickly build power meter, as well as powerful defensive measures. Collect enough musical notes and you can use her Finishing move!
This character was originally made for the purpose of AI vs AI spectacle fights, and isn't exactly meant for human challenge, nor is she properly balanced to traditional fight game mechanics. But nothing is stopping you from playing as or against this character.

I originally started work on this character several months ago, but put her on a long hiatus when I couldn't be satisfied with how the AI played with the intiial movesets and Musical Notes system. As a result, she isn't utilizing the Higher Res sprites method I had developed earlier, unfortunately. At least I've managed to rework the Musical Notes and movesets now.
There were originally more things I wanted to do with her. Such as giving each individual musical note type more unique effects. But I couldn't find enough creative ways to balance it properly (I know, "Balance" on this kind of character...) and she was getting bloated already as is. Hopefully she still offers something to people's rosters.

There's a lot of little things that the Musical Note system does. So I'll put the details in a spoiler below. The same info can be found in the readme.

Spoiler

Musical Notes
    - Each of Anri's move sets will spawn Musical Notes that are flung onto the stage randomly.
    - There are seven kinds of musical notes in total.
    - These musical notes can be hit and destroyed by enemies.
    - If Anri walks near a floating Musical Note, she will collect it, and it will float around her. If an enemy walks near one, it will float around them instead
        - You can only have one of each kind of Musical Note floating around you at one time.
    - A musical note will have various effects when picked up depending on how many times you've collected that particular note:
        - The more notes you have, the more Power bar you generate passively.
        - There are various other effects depending on the Note level and the ones orbiting around you and the opponent
    - You can collect more notes by expelling the ones currently floating around you with a certain move.
Musical Note Bar
    - The Musical Note bar at the bottom of the screen shows how many of each kind of musical note Anri has collected
    - Anri can collect each musical note 3 times, raising the level of that note for each one collected.
        - Lvl 0 is black, lvl 1 is blue, lvl 2 is red, and lvl 3 is Gold.
    - Raising the level of a musical note will allow more effects to happen for that specific note.
        - Level 1, that type of note generates more power when it explodes, and if the same kind of note is orbiting around both Anri and the enemy, the one around the enemy might explode if Anri is attacked
        - Level 2, that type of note generates more power passively when collected, and enemies that hit the free floating kind of that type of musical note will cause them to explode
        - Level 3, Enemies that walk near the free floating type of musical note if they have the same kind orbiting around them will be detonated.
    - If you manage to make a complete collection (collect 3 of each kind) you can immediately use Anri's finishing move

FYI, Anri cannot guard normally

Additionally, there are some Known Issues that I am unable to fix at the moment due to my lack of knowledge and time. These are mainly caused by the heavy usage of several helpers and the Musical Note system:

Spoiler

Due to Anri's heavy usage of multiple Helpers with hitboxes, there are often many visual bugs with enemy throw moves or grappler characters that end up grabbing Anri's Musical Notes. This often results n clones of Anri appearing briefly. I have done all I can to minimize these occurences by making the Musical Notes not get hit by Throw type attacks. They also attempt to delete themselves if they get hit or are in the standing state somehow. But everyone seems to code their Throws a bit differently that makes them inevitably hit the musical notes and throw
them into a custom state. That and I am still inexperienced in handling these mishaps.
    It's also likely ReverselDefs that are the culprits as well, since the musical notes technically have attack hit boxes. If the enemy Reverses a Musical Note and throws it into a custom state, then a clone is likely to appear.

Uncommonly, there are times where the Musical Notes don't perform as expected. There are times where a note level completely resets, detonations don't happen properly, or pick ups don't occur. However, it does work 99% of the time otherwise, and I can't consistently replicate the odd bugs that happen in these rare cases. Let's just chalk it up to weird MUGEN mechanics  :8):

That's all for now. Thanks for reading! If there's any confusion or bugs about the Musical Note system, feel free to reply about it.