Damge display upon hitting? (Help Please)

QrowSliver

Hello everyone, I'm still pretty new to Mugen but I think I'm getting better. But what I really wanted to do for my next character was inspired by Susanoo-no-Mikoto's Yukki Terumi. What I'm talking about specifically is displaying the damage you do with each normal, special, and supers. To see what I mean I posted a picture of his Es doing damage. Click here to see: https://imgur.com/a/Pw0BvWa  

And to top it all off I can't read JP very well yet. So if anyone can tell me how to go about adding a damage display to each hit of a character, I'd really appreciate it.

It's actually a lot of work, but if you have at least moderate experience in coding, it shouldn't be too overly difficult, if albeit tedious otherwise. You need to set a variable where each value is equivalent to explods based on separate group of animations represented by specific values. An example is that if an var = 100, have it summon an explod with a "100" graphic" to represent 100 damage or if var = 500, have it be represented by a "500" graphic to display 500 damage. You'll definitely be needing a lot of sprites to do this.

If you're new to coding, I'd suggest you keep practicing those two things until you're good enough to tackle that challenge since it's pretty hard for a beginner to take on.

4 hours ago, Nep Heart said:

It's actually a lot of work, but if you have at least moderate experience in coding, it shouldn't be too overly difficult, if albeit tedious otherwise. You need to set a variable where each value is equivalent to explods based on separate group of animations represented by specific values. An example is that if an var = 100, have it summon an explod with a "100" graphic" to represent 100 damage or if var = 500, have it be represented by a "500" graphic to display 500 damage. You'll definitely be needing a lot of sprites to do this.

If you're new to coding, I'd suggest you keep practicing those two things until you're good enough to tackle that challenge since it's pretty hard for a beginner to take on.

Well, I borrowed the sprites Susanoo had in his ES character.

14 minutes ago, QrowSliver said:

Well, I borrowed the sprites Susanoo had in his ES character.

In that case, I would just study the code that triggers the explod conditions for those numbers to come up then. They should be attached to a variable whose values will determine each assigned explod of those specific damage numbers .

2 hours ago, Nep Heart said:

In that case, I would just study the code that triggers the explod conditions for those numbers to come up then. They should be attached to a variable whose values will determine each assigned explod of those specific damage numbers .

Well, that's the problem most of the //comments are in Japanese, the only thing I can think of looks at the animation group and index it's suing from the animation tab At least that way I can try to fiddle with it on a different character and try to break it down that way. That sound good? (If possible you think you can find out if anyone can translate the state's files.)

3 hours ago, QrowSliver said:

Well, that's the problem most of the //comments are in Japanese, the only thing I can think of looks at the animation group and index it's suing from the animation tab At least that way I can try to fiddle with it on a different character and try to break it down that way. That sound good? (If possible you think you can find out if anyone can translate the state's files.)

That's what I normally do with Japanese made MUGEN characters, which isn't too hard once you figure out the pattern. Checking for animation groups and seeing which explods call them is a start. Once you identify the explods, look at the variable that they all share and their value in correlation to each animation as I've suggested earlier. Once you get an idea what conditions trigger those damage number graphics, you can copy the method from there.

May take a while since damage values in MUGEN are in the hundreds to thousands.

8 hours ago, Nep Heart said:

That's what I normally do with Japanese made MUGEN characters, which isn't too hard once you figure out the pattern. Checking for animation groups and seeing which explods call them is a start. Once you identify the explods, look at the variable that they all share and their value in correlation to each animation as I've suggested earlier. Once you get an idea what conditions trigger those damage number graphics, you can copy the method from there.

May take a while since damage values in MUGEN are in the hundreds to thousands.

I was also planning to add some other pretty cool features to someone like Ryu, equipping him with an Aur Dash, or in Evil Ryu's case Air Teleports like with Kage from SFV. I was also considering adding a fast fall feature,, Sparing blast from FighterZ, cancellable moves at the cost of 1 bar of meter, assists,  DHC's, tag team feature, and possibly some special finishers. I know it sounds very ambitious, but I really wanna make a fun roster. from games like BlazBlue, Street Fighter, Tekken, DBZ (Making like DBFZ moveset),, DMC, UNIB, Dengeki, etc.  And as for the damage display, I was wondering if by any chance you could take a look if I send you the link for the character by Susanoo, I would look at the moment but I'm on my way to my college class preparing for my Final today. If you have time to look at it if possible. 

Terumi buy Susanoo-no-Mikotohttp://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/yuuki-terumi-mbac-style-full-release-06-01-2018-patch-3-12-01-18-182371.0.html

Not sure if I'm willing to actually take a look for myself, my suggestion is mostly based on experience with similar stuff like this as with my Akyuu that was released last month. I'm mostly busy with working on my own new character + updating three other characters in the time being, I apologize if I can't really help further beyond what I can do. In any case, you're already in the right track if you were able to locate the explods.

On 12/20/2018 at 5:52 PM, Nep Heart said:

Not sure if I'm willing to actually take a look for myself, my suggestion is mostly based on experience with similar stuff like this as with my Akyuu that was released last month. I'm mostly busy with working on my own new character + updating three other characters in the time being, I apologize if I can't really help further beyond what I can do. In any case, you're already in the right track if you were able to locate the explods.

So I looked through, both Es and Terumi's file, but couldn't find anything. 

I decided to take a look at Es and it seems the variables that keep track of damage being dealt are var(28) and var(29). I would study all codes that apply these two variables and try to spot any expods that rely on them for triggers and calculations. In any explods that rely on these variables, you should be able to track down all animations that they call on.

damage-counter.png

damage-counter2.png

Notice how these varsets involve detecting P2's life values while in hit states to set their own variable values? They're there to allow the character keep track of how much life they lose from any hit P1 delivers to them.

damage-counter3.png

damage-counter4.png

These variables are then used to call in explods, which are all in order so that specific animations can be used correctly (and note the animation numbers, those are the damage number graphics). Basically, depending on what value the var(29) is set will call in that exact animation number as an on-screen graphic.

These are not all of them, only some of the varsets and explods I found while looking into Es, but I gave the courtesy of showing their coding block line numbers as well (which are in the 4000s).

You wouldn't really have to make an entirely new CNS unless you want to make the statedef -2 occupy a completely separate file (I usually do this for organization and convenience). Just remember that the states have to be in exact order since MUGEN reads codes from top to bottom.

Anyway, you'll need to have all the required animations and assign the first one as 21000 and every animation after that will logically count upwards by 1 (so, the second animation after 21000 is 21001, the third one after that in order will be 21002 and so on). Examples of this should already be in Es' .air file.