Something is not right with Astro Boy 2003 dub

Toshio Tenma

Something which is not right in the Astro Boy 2003 dub is that they just made Tobio flee from Dr. Tenma, which means he could be alive somewhere. But, let's think about this... If Tobio is alive and hidding somewhere according to the dubbed story, then Dr. Tenma just abandoned him and comitted the crime of child abandonment. It's a lame excuse for a father recreating his son which is alive somewhere as a robot replacement. If someone's son or daughter flee home, then it's the parent's duty to keep searching for them. Although their objective is to make the series become less dark, it still failed miserably. Since child abandonment is unexcusable and there is no point of adopting a child or making a robot replacement if the father or mother allowed a child to flee from home and never went after. That's against all the human logic and the final message which says that a son doesn't need to be blood related doesn't make sense. If Dr. Tenma abandonned his own blood son and never gone after, then why he want to keep being obsessed with a robot replacement who also rejected him? According to the original manga during the Scara's Ark is being told that is a bad idea making a robot replacement for a living person since that same person could return one day. And what if Tobio had meet "Astro" while crossing the street, would be him happy to see a robot replacement made by his father who had abandonned him? Although death is really tragic, the original background makes more sense than Dr. Tenma abandoning a son who fleed home in order to make a copy of his same run away son who could return one day.

Yesh, it really doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever. I mean, if I ran away from home, my parents wouldn't just replace me! I'm pretty sure nobodies parents would do that! You see, it's random crap like this that useually makes me watch sub over dub most of the time. 

:idontknowwhatthisone:

Astro Boy got dumb and dumb due the "kid's friendly" rule which tonned down the series emotion.

Following the logic of the original manga which Osamu Tezuka himself stated, if Tobio was alive, then Atom would never be created.

Astro Boy contradict even what Osamu Tezuka had worked so hard for years in his stories.

If a child is still alive and hidding somewhere, then what's the point of pretending that child is dead and then creating a replacement?

Astro Boy 2003 dub almost turned into a franchise killer just like happened with Gundam in America due the "Never Say Die" rule.

In the 2003 dub, Tobio flee from home and a replica of him is made without any concern about searching him or that he may try forgive his father and return  home.

Daichi was turned into a robot from the start in the 2003 dub, while in the original he had passed away sometime before the events of the episode 6.

The dub even omitted the fact Mr. Tokugawa offered money for the creation of Dr. Tenma's most iconic robot.

Toshio I know how intense you are against the English Astro Boy.  It is all about cultural differences and *business doing*.  It just happens to not only Tetsuwan Atomu but also countless numbers of anime and manga and video games and toys.  It is good that you are willing to spend time on educating Astro Boy/Tetsuwan Atomu fans with your factual observations.

Something off-topic for you:

Posted Image

This is a camera-taken photograph of some anime magazine of my friend's.  This is about a Tetsuwan Atomu exhibition that took place in the city I work in, during 2013-06 to 2013-09.  I missed the chance of visiting the exhibition because I knew of this for too late.  Then I saw it was mentioned in my friend's anime magazine so I used my cheap camera to take a picture for your viewing.

Let me do some Chinese to English translation for this photograph:

- it was an exhibition about Tetsuwan Atomu's 50th anniversary
- officials invited some artists to help them re-package Tetsuwan Atomu

- the news reporter who took the photographs said the most attractive product is the iPhone case (the one next to the cubic/Lego Atomu)
- the rest doesn't need much translation..........

• 4 weeks later...

What was done in the 2003 series is unexcusable.

Astro Boy is a silly cartoon version of the original series and although it does entertain we realize how much it's stupid if compared to the original work.

Really, the media should speak openly about the original series and don't pretend that Astro Boy is Tezuka's most iconic work.

There are no atoms, no actual emotion, nothing of catchy music and nowadays not even human logic.

The media talks about Astro Boy being Tezuka's most iconic work, but in reality Tezuka didin't liked the changes in the dub since he was forced to lose most of his artistic rights, otherwise the series would be boycotted. The character was meant to be a Atom powered robot and the name change ruined Tezuka's original idea which he started when Atom was first introduced in 1951 as a minor character from Captain Atom.