What is the smallest DECENT filesize you've ever downloaded for MUGEN.

MugoUrth

I remember reading somewhere on MFFA that the only good MUGEN characters are 3MB or higher. I don't think so. I've played with some pretty good MUGEN characters that are less than that, including a few that are less than a megabyte and STILL decent. So I ask, what is the smallest decent MUGEN character you have ever downloaded?

I can't recall exactly, but I know I've run into quite a few under 1MB that I enjoyed.  My JakeSF1989 is 273KB and I'd like to think that he's not a bad character.  Things like bonus stages tend to be even smaller.  SF2 Oil Drum Bonus + stage is 37KB + 31KB, but I don't think that includes the music.

Also, It helps to use the next-to-highest compression ratio for ZIP files that 7-zip allows.  If you're really brave, use highest ratio 7z files to upload works!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the file size for the character is in the sprites (sff) and sound (snd) files. I've seen quite a few great characters at 500 KB and less and some real crappy ones with huge file sizes (5 MB and up). But then too, I like playing a game, so wild hit sparks and 10 second narratives really don't appeal to me much. Pausing a game for so long (5 seconds and more) just to play out some 500 hit super combo or some mini movie or such doesn't really appeal to me as a gameplay necessity. A little extra here from a creator standpoint I guess... Different people like different things and it's nice with MUGEN because you can have a bit of variety and its more personal taste than anything else. So what one may not like, another may like. You never know. But that's why most of the creators that stick around aren't caught up in who's popular or that kind of stuff. Most of the creators that stick around have their own ideas and such and don't really care much about popular or not. Just something to do to pass the time and if you brighten someone else's day (or make someone miserable) stuff happens. But the nice part is that there is a lot of variety and something for everyone if you look hard enough. Some like team play, some watch mode, some arcade, but most look for something that interests them. Everyone's different. And every character is different (unless a direct rip off of someone else with just a name swap or such). And a silly part, I just realized that for 3 different size sff files, very little coding, and a bunch of sounds, that Thee Ace Man Fartaholic character came in at a whopping 5.8 MB file size. Nearly 6 MB of farting. Sheesh. Takes all kinds I guess. And I just did a Beam Battle version of Supersaiyan Goku from sb1 with 300 KB (yes, the beams battle back and forth) while the non super saiyan Beam Battle version from sb1 came in at just under 1 MB.