Hercule Satan UB22

GohanSSM2

Yes, I have gotten way too bored with Goten from UB22 and need something different to get me motivated again.  Anyway, Goten just reminds me too much of why I didn't do Street Fighter and such type characters.  And really, Goten is a bit too 'Capcomish" for my tastes at the moment (pretty much a punch/kick/dash character).  I'll finish up Goten at some point but my efforts lately are with Mr. (Hercule) Satan from UB27.  I've got the sounds and basics ripped but still working on cleaning sprites and such yet (got ALL the basics ripped).  And if you remember from the shows, I took a liberty with 'Baby Gamorrah' so that this version will fly unlike the original UB27 version.  Will probably be at least a week yet before a workable demo, but coming along nicely so far.  Sorry, no pic preview yet.

No english sound packs on my part.  Funimation isn't too fond of people using thier voice overs without permission.  The voice actors aren't too worried about it themselves but Funimation has been very upset over people using the english voice dubs even in 'fan art' type stuff

Edit: but also, mostly just grunts with "Rolling You Attack" and "Dynamite-o Kick" and I am trying to find the Satan chant off the japanese versions for the intro (was chopped out of the english dubs and 'Hercule' was substituted),

Yup Ry, ePSXe for the sprites and PSOUND for the sound extractions.  And on the KO and get back up animations have to edit out the dust animation stuff,

I got my old utilities up and running again too.  I used DOSBox and got a copy of Win 3.11 running so I can use the old (and better) Windows Sound Recorder as well as my favorite Cool Edit v1.33

Got the palettes all set up and a nice supply of the basic rips done up already.  Editting the outlines and forcing the palette using Paint Shop Pro v6.

Anyway, some screens (I hope)

default 1

Posted Image

green 2

Posted Image

blue 3

Posted Image

yellow 4

Posted Image

black 5

Posted Image

orange 6

Posted Image

extra - red 7 (kinda too close to the default though)

Posted Image

Oh yeah, and can't forget this guy

Posted Image

It's the standing pos I hope.  Before I had a plain monitor but now I have a wide screen.  Not sure if that may play into this as well.

A couple more screens

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, probably about a week longer for an 'alpha' release.  Gotta gut some coding and such plus finish editing some more sprites yet.  On a life positive note, my work has been picking up again lately, with a MUGEN negative note of work has been taking up much more of my time.

Anyway 2, got the turtle flying stuff worked out so far.  took out the forward dash while leaving in the backdash (Satan is such a 'chicken').  gotta bunch of sprites added in but have to finish editing the KO, punch, kick, and such animations yet.  Gonna finish gutting out the tired out fireball coding and such and adding in a Street Fighter type of 'dizzy' system instead (stay in GetHit state too long and go into 'dizzy' state).  A few other minor details but hopefully work and life will allow me the time to get this through around a week or so.  Power meter will be useless as Mr. Satan is 'human' after all and not personally familiar with inner energy (Ki) levels and all that other stuff.

Satan is 'cheap' in the real game and I am trying to keep him that way as best as possible in this conversion.  I haven't worked on the Supers, Hypers, and Specials yet but I do that after the 'basics' anyway.

As usual Mr. Satan will kinda be like the original game with a few tweaks and twists here and there.

Sorry, another long night last night at work.  Anyway.  About the sprites as best as I can.  I use ePSXe in 800x600 OpenGL mode but ripping for Satan has been an odd experience for me.  The UB22/27 game has different sizes for sprite display (and I use the F8 key for screen captures).  But UB22/27 adjusts sprite size for air / ground states plus also has the 'zoom in' type mechanics in the stage as well (if the characters get far apart, the stage stretches and the sprite size shrinks accordingly).  I have always used the formula of 'on ground' - 45%, 'stage farthest apart' - 77%, and 'on ground while opponent in air' - 92%.  However it is very odd that Satan's graphics appear to be larger when ripped than they appear to be in the game.  May have something to do with the fact that Satan is a 'ground only' character.  Not sure.  But I am actually using a 40% ratio for Satan only because in the game Satan is not as tall as Fat Buu and about the same height as Android 18 in the stand poses and such.  After the initial rip, at 45% Satan was taller than Fat Buu and nearly twice as tall as Android 18 sprite-wise in MUGEN when I used my default 45% which I have used for every character I have done for MUGEN so far except now.

But I guess my best answer Ry is that the sprites are actually in 400x300 and at 800x600 the sprites in the game are distorted and doubled.  I then roughly halve the size back down to get rid of the doubling effect from the game using 400x300 size sprites on a 800x600 res screen.  But it isn't dithering or filtering causing this but the fact that the game itself expands the sprite based on 'in the air' / 'on the ground' / 'stage appearance' type mechanics thus causing distorted sprites to begin with when ripped directly from the game using the F8 key in ePSXe.

that makes no sense, because all games on the PS1 run on 320,240, even the ones that would normally be wide screen (such as the SFA series) 

I tried ripping a hercule sprite, and My sprite looked NOTHING like yours.

ON top of that, why does he have a black outline?

The black outline is what the outline actually starts out as.  In the game, the outline blends in with the background (gray background - gray outline, green background - green outline, etc.),  I just redraw the outline to 'near black' (8,8,8 as opposed to 0,0,0).  Makes it appear more 'cartoony'.  I know, back when people were like "cool, you removed the outline from Gotenks (Hyper Dimension).  I don't like the outlines." and that kind of stuff back in 2000.  But the original spriters use the 'outline' to draw with (count pixels and all that), so I leave it in.  After doing Gotenks way back when the way I did it, I actually still prefer the outlines because it helps kinda 'define the sprite'.

Note also, the rips above were just hastily done before I redid the outlines and such.  A bit of a difference between what is above and what will be in the alpha and the final version (11.00 or whatever).

But for the fun of it, try putting Satan against say like Gotenks, and then use the player 2 controls to put Gotenks into 'fly mode' in the original game and then look at the Satan sprites afterwards while Satan is on the ground and Gotenks is in the air.  That's the only way you can get the 'front facing' animations that most sprite rippers miss.  In my chars they are the 6 and 7 animation groups in the sff file but I don't actually use the animations in the air file.

I use 800x600 display mode.  The game itself changes sprite size based on stage zoom, air / ground, and so forth.  I have never found a program yet that allows a direct rip from the PSX game animation files.  I can rip the movies and such, but not the character / stage animations.  Also no program that I know of that removes the background graphics in PSX.  ZSNES can run without BG stuff but that emulator is a mess graphics-wise.  And ZSNES never displays properly it seems.  Always 'scrunched up' graphics in ZSNES,

Appreciate the input Ry.  Thanks.

Alpha version released. http://gohanssm.netne.net/mugen.html or http://gohanssm.netne.net/chars.html

Only the basics right now but enough to kinda get a feel for what is to come.

Oops, and gotta get up at 2:30am tomorrow for work.

Not released yet, but progress report here...

Redid Baby Gamorrah animations (thinner now)

Redid sounds for Grenade and 'flying'

Cannon move renamed to RPEG (Rocket Propelled Energy Grenade) - D, DF, F, a - done - off screen projectile

renamed Failed Massive Missile to Mutual Assured Destruction

so, not done yet (but working on it...)

Massive Missile - F, DF, D, a - done - off screen projectile

Mutual Assured Destruction - D, DB, B, a - done

Diving Jabs - B, F, y - done

Rolling Attack - D, DB, B, y - done

Forward Charge - F, DF, D, b - done

Hero Dance - D. DF. F. x - done

Dynamite Kick - B, DB, B, b - done - off screen dash

Champion Dance - D, DF, F, y - done

redo collision boxes and adjust hitsparks and such (always my final step)

About 90% done now (February 21, 2013).  As usual on fridays, gotta get up at 230 am...

Released February 26, 2013...