The Rgb Method Explained

MrSteve81

The RGB method

This is in my opinion the best way to create stages that are rich in colour. It takes a lot less time than the jigsaw method, and looks so much better. In case you don't know RGB stands for red, green, blue, and its the mixture of these 3 colours that produce every colour you see on your monitor. I'm not going to go into the science, but if you want to read more on it I'm sure google can help you out.

For this tutorial I'm going to be using photoshop but the theory is the same in paint shop pro. I just don't know how to do it exactly in PSP as I've never used it.

First of all you're going to need an image. As what I'm going to show you will seem like a piece of cake once you know it, that's what I'm going to use.

Posted Image

Open it up in your image editor of choice and then create another layer on top of it. Use the paint bucket tool to fill this new layer red. For best results make sure the RGB number of the colour is 255,0,0. You should now see a plain red image.

On the bottom right of the screen you can see the layers. Make sure the red layer is selected and change the blending mode to darken. You can now see this if you've done it correctly:

Posted Image

Now we need to make it an image you can use in mugen. A 256 colour image. Click image>mode>indexed colour. Flatten the image when prompted and then from the drop down menu select exact. Then from the same drop down menu select custom. Make the bottom right colour 1 you wont be using ever. I choose 255,0,255. Its that rank purple colour that everyone chooses for their backgrounds.

Click ok until you get out of that section and then save your image as a .pcx.

Repeat for the green and blue. Add these 3 sprites to your .sff in the usual manner.

I'm going to assume you've made a single layer stage at this point so I wont go into what everything in the coding means. If you haven't I suggest doing that and learning basic stages before doing this.

The thing you'll need to do next is the coding for the stage. Code the 3 sprites as you would code just 1, but for the coding of the 2nd and 3rd sprite add 1 line:

trans = add.

Now test it out and see the glory of your excellence.

If you have any problems, as always just ask.

• 11 months later...