Mugen 1.1 Alpha 4 Downloadable

Krishjan

Ok, here's the run-down evaluation and all the crap you actually need to know.

REGARDING THE NEW RENDERER:

First off, the default RenderMode in this "release" is system.  You'll want to change it to OpenGL to use the new rendering mode.  BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!  You will need to have a GPU that is compliant with what Mugen is looking for or it will not, in fact, work.  I'm not certain, but my best guess is that the limbo bar is set to Vertex Shader 2.0 (DX9).  That means if you're using some piece of shit Intel system, you're probably fucked.  My Mom's crappy computer with a C2D + i945G is not compliant and therefore fails to start in OpenGL mode.  :( My Aunt's spiffy AMD E-450 (Radeon 6320) system does work.  Therefore, the new renderer works.

Even without the new renderer, Mugen 1.1 seems to be ever so slightly faster, but not appreciably so.

REGARDING COMPATIBILITY:

Quit whining about it.  Mugen isn't about point and click.  It's about getting your hands dirty in text editors and programs like Fighter Factory.  If you're worried about upgrading from Mugen 1.0, don't be dumb.  If you're still using WinMugen or DOS Mugen, grow up.  You're not Windows XP guy, old car guy, or even Atari guy.  You're Windows ME guy.  You're bring-back-the-old-MAME-cheat-engine guy.  You're never-even-owned-a-computer-and-you're-under-60-years-old guy.  Get with the program, upgrade your Mugen to something good, and fix your crappy Penultimate Eldrick Woods character yourself.  It's 2013.  Don't hate "new" for the sake of hating new.  Hate new when new sucks.  I know it usually does, but try to be somewhat educated about these things.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, one last brush of the dust on this thread.  I've done some testing with my HD4670 and can now conclude that if you have sufficient hardware for Mugen 1.1 and you're not using it, you're insane.

Some notes...

In my testing, the OpenGL renderer is no less than 36 TIMES faster than the software renderer.  That's enough to overcome pretty much any hardware insufficiency.

The new renderer can still be overwhelmed by too many sprites.  I have about 1200 characters which brings my framerate to a crawling 19fps.  That's the only time that happens.

Safe mode IS NOT software GL.  Safe mode disables hardware scaling and maybe some other things.  It may actually be faster on your hardware.  If you play Mugen at the native resolution of your screen pack, then by all means try using safe mode for a boost.  Otherwise, only use it as needed.

So what is hardware scaling?

Hardware scaling is when your GPU scales the resolution of the program to the resolution of your monitor, as opposed to software scaling which is generally bilinear filtering (yuck!).  If you have a monitor with a strange resolution or you have some huge ass CRT (like me), this is a god send.  It basically makes the old OpenGLScreen mode obsolete.  Also good for the zero people using a two or more monitors.

"How to do hardware scaling?" - sampae

Good question.  You need to know two things.  The resolution of your screen pack and the resolution of your monitor.  You're first going to want to get the most pixels out of your screenpack, so set the gamewidth and gameheight to the highest sane multiple.  I use 640x480, so let's go nuts and set it to 1920x1440.  If you use 1280x720, then 2560x1440 is good (I'm not joking).  Then in the section, set width and height to whatever your resolution your monitor is.  If your video card is smart, you'll get nice crisp video in the proper aspect ratio.

For instance, this picture used to be 1920x1440.  And yes, 60 frames per second all day.

l.png

You didn't see this link for Mugen 1.1a4 versions of the 4v4 and 3v3 mods.