[WIP] Diary - Feb 6

RicePigeon

I could have posted these individually but wanted some more substance so some progress on Iku;

Iku_IZ-5a4a.gif

Dragonfish the Able Swimmer. Originally one of her alt specials in Soku, it's now her Unique Skill. Considering how slow Iku's actual movement speed is, this is a welcome addition to her arsenal, as it's effectively a dodge. Can also be used offensively to cross up opponents.

Iku_IZ-236p.gif

Dragon Fish's Strike, her qcf+p Special. Always hits three times, but differs on distance traveled and recovery time at the end.

3mO7n7J.gif

Smite of the Goddess (dp+p). Iku's anti-air grab with a ton of range and damage. As you might expect, it whiffs against standing opponents. Aiding to Iku's ranged gameplay, it throws the opponent quite far afterward.

HrCbm3W.gif

Electrostatic Guided Missile (qcb+p). Air usable. Acts like a regular projectile at first unless the attack button is held down, in which case it will stop midway in order to chase the opponent once.

WTrYt36.gif

Dragon God's Wrath (d,d+p). Okizeme tool. Iku can move around before the lightning strikes, but getting hit causes it to disappear.

Af5ceWH.gif

Thorn Sign "Thundercloud Stickleback". This was a pain to balance out, but basically turns Iku herself into a mobile projectile that hits every second for 8 seconds. Disappears if Iku is hit, but can be used both defensively and offensively. Kind of fitting considering how many of Rose's moves Iku already has in source and seeing how this move resembled Soul Satellite in terms of how it functions, it was only natural that this be included as one of Iku's supers.

• 3 weeks later...

Iku's been released

In the meantime, been working on the next IZ character: Youmu. The biggest change to Youmu from GR is that her Spirit Level mechanic has been removed, so her gameplay is a bit more simplistic this time around.

Youmu_IZ-5a.gif

Completely reworked the way Insightful Sword functions and is now her Unique Skill. Instead of a counter like it was in the source games and GR, it now functions as a parry.

Youmu_IZ-j623p.gif

Crescent Moon Slash (623p) isn't a new move by any means, but the biggest change is that it's now air usable, which she couldn't do in neither Soku nor GR.

Youmu_IZ-63214p.gif

Intolerant Avici (63214p), Youmu's command grab Alt Skill from Soku. Unlike Soku, it has no automatic followup, but doesn't scale anywhere near as hard nor does it push the opponent as far from Youmu, making it more suitable for starting combos and adding to Youmu's pressure game. Unlike Soku, Youmu will always switch sides with the opponent regardless of which version is used.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you all enjoy fake news because the next character is none other than Aya Shameimaru herself.

Aya_THIZ-236pJ896p.gif

So just as a rundown, Aya is going to be a charge character, so what better way to show her off than with... a non-charge motion Special? Anyway, Gust Fan is her staple projectile lifted straight from SWR/Soku. Unlike the source game, however, she can now fire them at different speeds, instead of all versions being identical.

Also, keeping in line with what was initially started with Iku, Aya has received somewhat of a makeover in terms of her default palette, which was redone to more closely resemble her colors in the more recent Touhou games. Do keep in mind the color separation is still a work in progress so not all of her sprites and animations are separated right now:
Aya_IZ-Default.png

And for those curious, here's her Soku default palette for comparison:
Aya-Soku.png

Aya_THIZ-28pp.gif

Part 1/2: Tengu Drum and Tengu Felling, both from SWR/Soku; if you've ever played M.Bison in any of the Street Fighter games, then you should already have an idea of how these moves work. Tengu Drum more or less works the same way in Soku, however, Tengu Felling has been redone to be more along the lines of the way Bison's Skull Diver works. She'll also have a equivalent move to Devil's Reverse, but that will be for part 2.

Aya_THIZ-28ppR.gif

Part 2/2: Tengu's Downburst; effectively Aya's equivalent of Bison's Devil's Reverse. Like Bison's SF5 counterpart, it doesn't have it's own separate command, but rather is used during Tengu Drum before Aya makes contact with the opponent, giving her an option to either commit to the move or prematurely cancel it into an attack to punish the opponent. Also shown is a slight revision to Tengu Felling, where it no longer causes a knockdown against grounded opponents.

Aya_THIZ-LW.gif

Aya's Last Word: Illusionary Dominance. I usually take creative liberties when it comes to adapting moves from source and Aya's Last Word was no exception: rather than having the move have you adjust Aya's height with directional inputs and thus result in some inconsistent behavior that risks having p2 drop out of the move, Illusionary Dominance now automatically tracks p2's position. The final stomp of the move wasn't originally present in source and was something I added for an extra "Oomph" at the end, as well as making yet another reference to M.Bison.

mugen347.png?width=400&height=300

"I've got the power of gods and anime on my side!"

Okay, maybe not the former, but Sanae is next. As you can see here, her game plan is a bit simplified now and may require a bit of an explanation: Going into making the Incident Zero characters, by initial plan was to correlate influence with the newer Touhou fighters (HM, ULiL, and AoCF), which can obviously be seen with Yukari and Reisen, who largely take inspiration from their AoCF counterparts, rather than Soku. Even characters who didn't gain as drastic of a change in moveset, such as Reimu and Marisa, also take inspiration from the newer games as well.

Back when I was doing IZ Sakuya, I thought about this and wanted to take it in a direction of "since Sakuya wasn't in any of the new fighters, if she were to reappear as a playable character in AoCF, what changes would she have gotten?". As a result of that, Sakuya's moveset was changed, but not too drastically to the point where she would no longer be Sakuya. This same train of thought is also present in IZ Sanae: As you can see from the HUD, she no longer utilizes Kanako or Suwako in any of her moves. She still has a wind mechanic, which is now her Unique Skill and is now indicated by tornado stocks instead of a gauge.

Now I'm going to go off on a tangent here and go a bit into some development backstory. Back when I was collaborating with Midori Margatroid on a Sanae in 2014, we analyzed Sanae in Hisoutensoku, and pretty much came to the conclusion that her wind mechanic in that game was lackluster and not well thought out. What we couldn't agree on, however, was how to approach it: Midori wanted to try to stay as close to the source as possible while simultaneously fixing the flaws we saw with the system, while I wanted to completely revamp the system to make it more akin to Rachel's version of the mechanic in the BlazBlue games; we ended up using the former idea, which culminated in some of the changes present (ie: the ability to cancel into the Wind Summoning at the expense of power, the ability to use it on the ground, etc). In the end, we still felt like more could be done. When I eventually made the Gensokyo Reloaded version of Sanae, I decided to explore the original route I wanted to go and ended up using that system. In the end, I felt like it was a natural progression.

So stemming from that, IZ Sanae will progress the system a bit further, by giving her additional options to utilize her wind, which will serve as the focus of her gameplay this time around, in lieu of her Kanako & Suwako assists.

Sanae_IZ-6z5a.gif

Sanae's new 6z command normal, based on her heavy bullet from Soku, replacing her old 6z command normal from GR. It has similar functionality as a zoning tool, and unlike its source counterpart is affected by wind, giving her another wind option.

Sanae_IZ-4z.gif

Sanae's new 4z command normal. Its main use is as an anti-air, but since the mechanics of the IZ system cause her back throw to come out if this move is used up close, it creates an option select where the opponent either stays grounded and gets grabbed, or jumps and gets hit by the anti-air command normal instead.

• 3 weeks later...

So next up is Suwako...

Years ago, I originally started a Suwako character purely as an april fool's joke character, as it was just her hat given sentience (mixed with a bit of Devil May Cry influence). I always jokingly said I would get back to it, and now that I've made Sanae and Kanako several times, now was the opportunity to do so. Anyone who's ever played Hisoutensoku would know just how gimmicky Suwako is, and is often regarded as the bottom tier character in that game because of this.

Suwako_IZ-Walk.gif

My aim here, of course, is to remain as faithful to the source material as possible, while still ironing out the flaws that they had; Suwako's walk, for example, now keeps her in a grounded state. Although you're still committed to the hop, it no longer forces you to use your aerials nor does it force you to be unable to block. Her dashes have received similar treatment, in that they are now uniform with the rest of the cast, and just having better mobility overall as compared to source.

Suwako_IZ-GroundNormals.gif

Staying true to the way she functions in Soku, her crouching state puts her in a "standing" state with her lilypad, and vice-versa with her true standing state. As a result of this, many of her standing Normals are now lows, while many of her crouching Normals now hit mid. Of course, some creative liberties had to be taken due to the limited number of actual ground Normals she had in the source game, but overall her only lows are s.LP, s.MP, and c.HP. Alot of these moves had a ton of range in the source game, so that remains true here, giving her somewhat slower yet far reaching pokes. Her Lily 6A from source was implemented her as her DF+HP command Normal, which acts as her grounded overhead, with the biggest difference being that it no longer forces her into a sliding underground state like it did in source.

• 2 weeks later...

Suwako_IZ-236p.gifSuwako_IZ-j236p.gif

Stone Frog God and Ancient Metal Ring, both of which are Suwako's QCF specials on the ground and air, respectively. I've noticed that alot of Suwako's moves in source tend to hit multiple times so the same is true here. Stone Frog God also has the additional property of hitting OTG, so she can use that after a knockdown.

Working on some character-specific system stuff with Suwako, which I'll probably show off next, which will also include her Unique Skill. Try taking a guess as to what that might involve.

• 2 weeks later...

Suwako_IZ-USkill.gif

To those who have never played Suwako in Hisoutensoku, she has certain attacks and movements that place her in an underground state, from which she's able to use certain Specials. The system she uses in that game is rather jank, as she can't use certain grounded Specials like you would think she could, and is only able to use them while airborne, in her lilypad (crouching), or underground states, but not standing. There was also no way to manually go underground except as part of certain moves or her forward dash.

Here, her underground mechanic has been revamped as her Unique Skill, which given its nameless nature, I've decided to dub... Toad in the Hole... Naughty smirks and giggles aside, this can be manually activated at any time, during which she's freely able to move. Like in the source game, she can also use certain grounded Specials while in this state, just as she can in her normal grounded state. I must note that she possesses no invulnerability in this state, and is unable to block, but her hitbox is so small that she'll be able to pass under most attacks that aren't sweeps, grabs, or grounded projectiles. She's also time limited, and will automatically pop up after a certain amount of time.

• 1 month later...

While Momiji was in the final stages of development, I reached out to someone in the hopes of commissioning sprites for another WIP that I've been interested in working on for some time. While it's nowhere near complete, I figured I'd show off a little bit of what will eventually be my next WIP: Sumireko Usami.

SumiWalk8f.gifUntitled.gifSumi_RunF.gif

Special thanks to Blade for the sprites, we will soon have a Sumireko sprited in the old art Tasofro art style to be included with the rest of the cast for Touhou: Incident Zero once a working beta is out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think enough progress has been done on Sumireko that I can show off a few attacks

Sumireko_THIZ-5x-5y.gifSumireko_THIZ-5z.gif

All her basic standing Normals are complete so far. Sumireko is one of the few who can't rapid fire her standing LP, but hits twice much like in source. Standing MP is one of those moves with long active frames, so spacing it correctly can make it safe. Standing HP hits twice much like in source, hitting low on the first hit with the second hit serving as an anti-air, but has longer startup to compensate.

• 2 months later...

Three years ago I said that I was going to expand my boundaries as a MUGEN author and work on something that wasn't related to Touhou. Over the past few days, I've decided to start fulfilling that promise.

EIGFxhRXkAEtpdP.png

So what inspired this? About 3 years ago (around the same time Gladiacloud was releasing his Pokemon characters and were being subsequently edited), some people expressed that there will never be any good Pokemon characters so I half-jokingly responded that I would take the task. Ultimately these plans were shelved in favor of working on Touhou: Incident Zero and I didn't get a chance to revisit them until now.

While the gameplay won't directly be based on Gensokyo Reloaded or Incident Zero, it will take a few system mechanics that I've learned & adopted over those past years and incorporate them; no groove or level 3 select here, but will have a Z-Move mechanic that functions similar to how the Ultra gauge functions in Street Fighter 4.

• 1 year later...