Wario WIP by RobotMonkeyHead

Ok, confession time.  I haven't refurbished the sprites yet.  But I got almost everything else done. The only thing that isn't finished at this point is the in game moves list, the intros and win poses, and a potential bonus hyper. 

I'll send out a new beta soon, but before I do, is anyone else interested in beta testing?  Ballsdeep?  Clownman?  All you gotta do is see if you can break him or make him do weird shit, and if you do tell me how.  @Dhillon521 I haven't heard from you, are you still interested?

In the meantime, here's a quick peak at a rough draft of the In Game Moves List (map scrolls behind text):

Page 1:

E2M8UVW.png

Page 2:

v68wCvw.png

Progress Update: 
Bob-ombs are finished: Behavior = Blink, face opponent, wind up 3 times, hop, repeat for 3 hops then light.  Fuse burns for 2 seconds, while bob-omb begins to glow red/orange then explodes.  Explosions launch other bob-ombs toward opponent, and launch either Wario or opponent away from their center.  3 bob-ombs on screen max. QCB + QP drops one in place, QCB + MP throws one, QCB + SP throws an already lit one.  Works in air.  Bob-ombs can be knocked around the screen be either Wario or opponent, and fireballs (or other bob-omb explosions, or fire hyper) can be used to light bob-ombs.

Captain's Piledriver hyper is finished.  Pretty standard pile-driver.  Can be linked to from the other throw chains, in place of the last throw.  Lunch Money hyper can also be linked into the same way.

Ground Pound hyper is finished.  Similar to the special but with much greater range and effect.  

Mad Bob-omber hyper is finished.  Wario eats a lit bob-omb, causing him to immediately gain 3 garlics and begin to glow red, for the exact duration of the bob-ombs fuse.  When it explodes, Wario bursts into flames and throws about 15 lit bob-ombs in all directions causing a massive explosion.  

Motorcycle special is finished.  D, D, P causes the motorcycle to appear.  Wario can jump on and off it freely. It can be hit and moved around the screen by either Wario or the opponent.  When riding, wario can wheelie, skid turn, jump with his velocity locked to the bikes, or just jump off leaving the bike moving as a projectile.  If he's going fast enough when passing the opponent it will hit.  Damage is proportional to speed.  Wario can also drive the motorcycle off of a bob-omb explosion, causing it to wheelie in air without knocking Wario off it. 

x5jUSve.gif

Treasure system currently being implemented.  By accomplishing the REQ part, a treasure chest appears, and if Wario hits it, it opens and he gets the treasure inside.  Each treasure has a specific effect (FXS) and getting all of them unlocks the Bossummon level 3 hyper.  He will keep the treasures through all matches and rounds, so you can build him as you go, but when you lose a match, they all disappear. 

___________________________/ TREASURES

yKruJo7.png     1) Rocket Sprocket

FXS: Increase motorcycles speed, accel, cornering, and wheelie control

REQ: Get 100 coins

iGydMPj.png      2) Short Fuse

FXS: Bob-omb shorter fuse, fireballs detonate it, 1 giant hop?

REQ: Fill garlic meter with mad bob-omber hyper only

CmM4NlB.png      3) Cymbalic Ring

FXS: Increase sonic knucles range and dizzy duration

REQ: 3 guard crushes in a round

plZgLML.png      4) Liquid Quick

FXS: Increase walk, run and dash speed (crawl?)

REQ: Use up entire power bar on dasherator hyper

PhaE2VY.png      5) Wicked Warios

FXS: Increase jump and super jump height. 2 coins for jumping off opponent.

REQ: 6 consecutive head jumps

9aWSZ57.png      6) Soda Pop Gloves

FXS: Increase basic attacks damage by 10%, and add 1 more 100% hit before damage dampener

REQ: Win a round using no basic attacks

1wHiOJS.png      7) Stinky Under-Armor

FXS: Increase defense by 10%.  Fart any time.

REQ: Land a level 9 garlic fart and belch in the same match

l8H3hbf.png      8) Crystal Skull

FXS: Continuous slow power gain, get 2 garlics for each projectile eaten.

REQ: Go a round taking no damage and using no hypers

lDhKhx1.png      9) Wrestling Mask

FXS: Unlock extra throw chain: roll / air roll / neither into 3 consecutive slams.  Larger time window for throw linking.

REQ: Link a full air or ground throw chain into lunch money hyper and captains pile driver

Glad to know you're still alive and kicking. Any progress is better than none.

As for the beta, I'm very honored I'm even considered to be a beta tester. It means a lot. My only concern is that I have never beta tested or given actual feedback, so I feel that I would be doing a disservice to you by receiving a beta and not giving you any good feedback. Of course, I am interested if you think you can trust me, but keep in mind that I am new to the community. If you ultimately decide to give me a beta, I'll gladly test it as best I can. I have accidentally broken other characters before, so there's that. 

Will the movelist be added as an image within the Wario folder (such as a PNG or GIF) and replace the readme, or will you have both a readme and a movelist in separate files? Just want to clarify.

Anyways, I'm excited about the progress. I'll be glad to test Wario out, but I don't have any experience beta testing. Keep up the good work! 

It's all good.  Laharl, Staubhold and SPRI YAR ZON have been pretty on point with the technical feedback so far.  Really the only thing I'd like you to do is see if you can get him to break or produce weird glitches.  If you can, see if you can replicated it reliably and if so, just let me know what it is and what you're doing to get it to happen.  Any suggestions you have for move tweaks and the like are welcome too. :)

At this point he's pretty close to finished, so the more problems found / detail tweaks made the better.

Sorry, wanted to comment a while ago.

I haven't played Shake It! in years, and seeing that map again is awesome. Can I please beta test as well?

Maybe there can be some sort of configuration for how many treasures are needed for the Boss Summon, because I only have one match Arcade runs, and could never actually have 10 rounds on anything except for Survival. I like how it sounds like the point system in CvS2, though.

@Pac-Trail: Hells yes you can beta test him :)  It's not in this update, but his 12th palette will unlock all the treasures automatically.

Treasure system is finished.  I was going to send him out a couple days ago, but I ran into a few snags so I'm sending him out now, to:

Laharl
Staubhold
BallsDeep69
Jenngra505
Pac-Trail

If anyone else wants to jump on that list any point point, just post the word.

WHAT NEENDS TESTING:  All specials, hypers, treasures and their interactions, mostly.  Last beta still had a bunch of junk code left over from the original which hadn't been touched, so there were problems everywhere that weren't even worth bothering with. That made it a little difficult to tell what to focus on.  
   That's no longer the case.  Everything that's in there now should be in there.  It's missing a few things still:  Sounds, a variety of intros, win / lose / draw poses, taunts, in game moves list and the unlockable level 3 Bossummon hyper, but all that will be in the next update.  
   If you're new to beta testing, if you can figure out how to break it consistently, tell me how you're doing it and how it's breaking.  Screen shots are a plus.

Can you release a version for 1.0? (I use that for my main Mugen stuff). Now for actual feedback:
First off the character is incredibly unbalanced with moves such as Captain's Pile Driver and GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY being too underpowered whilst other moves such as Flaming Wario are overpowered.

Crouching Light Kick is incredibly safe with a whopping 12 advantage frames.

Medium and Strong versions of Wustache Twister are able to combo into themselves allowing you to endlessly float in mid-air.

Max Fastosity Dasherator is hard to figure out at first unless you know those are supposed to be pipes and not shiny red buttons.

-I can't seem to spawn the motorcycle anymore. After I tried it in Training mode, I went to use him in Vs. and I really can't seem to spawn it anymore no matter what.

-Also, spawning the Dasherator also spawns the motorcycle, after the above glitch, he'll do a Focus Attack.

-For some reason, when I throw any Bob-omb, I can't throw fireballs anymore, he'll do the animation, but no fire is thrown.

-Many of his hurt voices often play at once when hit.

-I had a strange glitch where I caught an enemy getting thrown back from an explosion, and they froze in the air right above the ground in a falling state, when the grab ended, (Spin) they took no damage and just fell to the ground.

-If a chest spawns while he's in the air, Wario will stay in mid-air, regardless if he's on the chest or not.

-Maybe the damage on Ground Pound and Round Down Ground Pound could be toned up a little? I mean, it IS Wario...

His new hypers are really cool, and the motorcycle was awesome when I tried it. Some of these issues are probably caused from Add004, though...

Spoiler: Lots of pictures, some feedback.

There are some weird white pixels on Wario's Mario palette. 

vCAejvt.png

When in Mario palette, he reverts to regular Wario palette when getting hit or when running.

When hit with his own bob-omb, Wario gets hit, but receives no damage. Was that intentional? If so, then that's fine.

Of course, there are no sounds for his specials, but I would suggest maybe replacing the current sound for the exploding bob-omb with an explosion sound.

A more organized moveset document would be greatly appreciated. The current one looks a bit messy. (NO OFFENSE)

Looks like a misaligned hitsparks on light punch.....  

qR6QJOq.png

Medium punch

9UUCZJH.png

Heavy punch

VOFyyv9.png

Crouching medium kick

y1zxipy.png

And heavy kick

aVJ5v3q.png

I'm not 100% sure if these are actually misaligned. They look like it to me.

This is what happened when I pressed heavy punch in the air (during Wario's air heavy punch animation). 

DgWczXX.png

QCF P works like a charm when Wario is on the left side of the field, 

YB1bGWb.png

but doesn't work on the right side of the stage, no matter how close I am to the opponent.

U9l9F4n.png

While in the air, pressing down and HK gives you this attack where Wario falls and hits the opponent with his butt. It looks like it needs something, such as a hitspark or some dust/rocky fx. Maybe a little bit of ground shake fx like some of Juggernaut's moves? Just to give it a little more visual pizzazz.

w31ZTAn.png

That's all for now, but I already found some comical stuff. I have a few ideas to break Wario, not to mention that I've yet to test EVERY special/super. Wario is really fun so far. Thanks for letting my beta test! 

Keep up the great work! 

Some feedback (all tested in MUGEN 1.1)

- in some of the intros Warios laughter is misplaced/plays too soon

- crouching HP needs a ground hit sound

- Focus Windup Punch goes indefinitely if you hold down MP & MP... Should have a time limit

- Belly Bounce (MP,MP) does not hit correctly, you Wario will only hit with his arms, not his belly because of his distance to p2

- Belly Slide (hold MP in the air)... Wario turns suddenly on the ground in his back jump version. Neutral jump Belly Slide has no slide on the ground at all

- some of the throws have two grab sounds

- suggestion on air fireball... maybe have diff. angles?

- I can do all level 2 hypers in the air, resulting in Wario standing in the air or Dasherator stays in the air

- I can jump over p2 and hold up forward, Wario will not turn around facing p2

I get a lot of debug messages... Needs more sounds.

Other then that, really like it!

@Big Green, yea you can contribute palettes for sure, but it's going to be a little while before that's possible.  There's a couple long posts on this thread about what those sprites have been through, so I won't bother repeating, but once I get the actual sprites in and a palette template made, I'll definitely keep ya posted.

@Clownman, no worries about the sounds, I got plenty to work with for now, but if you want to link me to em whenever they're ready, that'd be nice.

Betas in your inboxes :)

Perform QCF MK or HK repeatedly as fast as you can and watch the magic happen. 

If performed correctly, Wario can do the corkscrew multiple times. He can even reach the top of the stage if you manage to do it repeatedly without getting tired. I managed to get a 37 hit combo and saw Wario corkscrew his way to the top......seriously. It was pretty funny, though. For some reason, this bug doesn't apply to QCF LK. I tried it, but I got only one regular corkscrew.

I tested this out, Pretty nice so far. 

I found a glitch though which is where I did multiple corkscrews and then Wario just left the stage and won't come back, Like said above.

Did the glitch work with light kick, too? It didn't for me when I tested him out.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I know I said I'd address this stuff soon, and it's been about 3 weeks so I have to apologize.  I have been busy tho, I've been writing a lot (and I mean a metric fuck load) of stuff for Tier 1's up & coming reopening.  There's a sort of Mugen Training Camp in the works. That's coming along really nicely so far.

:goodmood:

Also got a lot of work done on Wario.  The boss summon hyper is finished and almost all of the feedback's been addressed code wise.  I'll reply to the feedback soon, but I'm pretty excited about the boss summon thing, so I'm gonna explain it.

__/ Level 3 Boss Summon Hyper
There are 9 treasures total.  They break down into 3 groups, each with 3 treasures.  Get all 3 treasures in any 1 group and it adds a boss to your boss summon hyper.  So by the time you get all 9 treasures, 3 bosses appear when you do the hyper.  There's Bloomsday, Large Fry and Shake King.  You get their boss emblems from Shake It in the "unused silver treasure chest" at the beginning of the round.  (graphics where in the game data, but never used in the game itself.  Same with the palette for Bloomsday and the crystal skull, wrestlers mask, rocket sprocket, and cymbalic ring sprites that I used.)

8hoGRsp.gif

WJfbRfP.gif

Bloomsday has his intro from Shake It, and immediately does his vacuum move, which pulls the opponent up to the flower, draining their life, then drops them in front and does the fan thing, which deals pretty heavy damage.  The wind moves them around the screen whether or not they're actually hit.  Bloomsdays pot acts as a barrier that p2 can't pass through but Wario can.

e3VeWME.gif

Large Fry has his intro from Shake It, after which he floats up to the top of the screen toward player 2.  When he's over them he does 3 downward slams, then floats up off the screen and comes charging in from the side for 1 last heavy hit.  He also gets bigger depending on how many other bosses are on the screen.

z7QMQyJ.gif

Shake King has the last part of his intro from Shake It where he drops out of the top of the screen, landing in front of p2.  He does 3 fist pounds and a charge.  He's also impassable to p2, so he creates some nice defense for Wario.

All 3 at the same time is pretty fuckin nuts.  That's the last thing that I plan to add to him besides the in game moves list which will also show the treasure, and boss emblems and explain their effects and requirements. 

EDIT: Added crawl.

1. Can you release a version for 1.0? (I use that for my main Mugen stuff). Now for actual feedback:
2. First off the character is incredibly unbalanced with moves such as Captain's Pile Driver and GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY being too underpowered whilst other moves such as Flaming Wario are overpowered.

3. Crouching Light Kick is incredibly safe with a whopping 12 advantage frames.

4. Medium and Strong versions of Wustache Twister are able to combo into themselves allowing you to endlessly float in mid-air.

5. Max Fastosity Dasherator is hard to figure out at first unless you know those are supposed to be pipes and not shiny red buttons.

1. Possibly.
2. Lunch Money Shakedown does low damage because coins add life and power to Wario.  The others have been addressed.  Any other under or over powered moves?
3. Fixed.
4. Fixed.
5. hmmm... not really sure what to do about that.

1. I can't seem to spawn the motorcycle anymore. After I tried it in Training mode, I went to use him in Vs. and I really can't seem to spawn it anymore no matter what.

2. Also, spawning the Dasherator also spawns the motorcycle, after the above glitch, he'll do a Focus Attack.

3. For some reason, when I throw any Bob-omb, I can't throw fireballs anymore, he'll do the animation, but no fire is thrown.

4. Many of his hurt voices often play at once when hit.

5. I had a strange glitch where I caught an enemy getting thrown back from an explosion, and they froze in the air right above the ground in a falling state, when the grab ended, (Spin) they took no damage and just fell to the ground.

6. If a chest spawns while he's in the air, Wario will stay in mid-air, regardless if he's on the chest or not.

7. Maybe the damage on Ground Pound and Round Down Ground Pound could be toned up a little? I mean, it IS Wario...

8. His new hypers are really cool, and the motorcycle was awesome when I tried it. Some of these issues are probably caused from Add004, though...

1. Should be working now.  Some of the commands were a bit wonky.
2. Fixed.
3. Fixed.
4. Yea all the sounds going to be done at the end.
5. Haven't been able to replicate this yet.  Still trying.  What enemy?
6. Fixed.
7. Yes, very true.  Good call.  Fixed
8. Thanks! ...But what do you mean by Add004?

Some feedback (all tested in MUGEN 1.1)

1. in some of the intros Warios laughter is misplaced/plays too soon

2. crouching HP needs a ground hit sound

3. Focus Windup Punch goes indefinitely if you hold down MP & MP... Should have a time limit

4. Belly Bounce (MP,MP) does not hit correctly, you Wario will only hit with his arms, not his belly because of his distance to p2

5. Belly Slide (hold MP in the air)... Wario turns suddenly on the ground in his back jump version. Neutral jump Belly Slide has no slide on the ground at all

6. some of the throws have two grab sounds

7. suggestion on air fireball... maybe have diff. angles?

8. I can do all level 2 hypers in the air, resulting in Wario standing in the air or Dasherator stays in the air

9. I can jump over p2 and hold up forward, Wario will not turn around facing p2

10. I get a lot of debug messages... Needs more sounds.

Other then that, really like it!

1. All the sound is going to be done at the end.
2. "
3. Yea, I think your right.  Will fix.
4. Fixed.
5. Fixed.
6. Yep, sounds.
7. Good call. Different angles added.
8. Fixed.
9. Fixed.
10. I think all the debug messages have been taken care of.  Glad you like!

Perform QCF MK or HK repeatedly as fast as you can and watch the magic happen. 

Hidden Content

mmmm ah yes... fixed.

1. I also experienced the glitch.

2. I may have been able to toss more than one HP Bob Omb at one point.

3. Certain Specials also have no sound, like the fireball. And I never ran into the treasure system.

Keep in mind I only made a quick glance, so I may have missed out on stuff.

1. Yup, fixed.
2. There's a maximum of 3 bob-ombs allowed on the screen at once.
3. Ah the sounds of sounds.  The moves list says how to get treasures.
Any testing at all is a plus.  If you ever feel like taking a more thorough look, awesome, but it's all good either way.