Problem with palettes

柊 明

Question

I was making some palettes for the character Athena XIII made by Capone, but I can't figure how to add them to the character.
I looked into Athena's folder but there are no act files, then I opened the character with Fighter Factory 3 to see if the palettes are in the sff file itself, but they aren't there. So, is anyone there, that can help me to know how am I supposed to add the palettes?

Link for Athena, if you need it.

4 answers to this question

Is the character using SFFv2?

If yes that's why you may have the problem.

This is what I told someone what to do (even though he never replied me back :( )

http://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.1955947

Look at the last part:

(don't make the mistake of calling it pallet, like a lot of other users do! Call it palette!)

How to make one?
There are lots of ways to do that.
I'll explain mine:
- with a program called Fighter Factory (check the latest one here) I open the character and go to the Palettes menu:

FF3tutorialpalette1.png

- after that, I open the Palette Editor:

FF3tutorialpalette2.png

do you see the sprite in the middle and the colours under it? All the colours there form a palette. You can change its colours to obtain a new palette.
Be careful! When you finished making your own palette, you have to save it:

FF3tutorialpalette3.png

and you save it with the name you want.
You now have your palette, but you can't see it in-game, why? Because you have to edit the .def file of your character.
This goes for the characters that use SFFv1 (WinMugen, maximum number of palettes:12).

For characters that use SFFv2 (Mugen 1.0) you just have to add it like shown in the image below (look at the right column, a line that says "Add one or more palettes" will appear if you hover your cursor over the yellow icon; you click that icon and then you add your palette):

FF3tutorialpalette4.png

In the character's def file at the bottom are some lines that add palettes.  Note, there are a few different programs that can make the act palette files but I've always used pcxpal from the old DOS MUGEN for this stuff anyway, the lines in the def file should be something like these (only using Athena instead of...)

pal1 = ???.act

pal2 = ??2.act

pal3, pal4, etc.

In the character's def file at the bottom are some lines that add palettes.  Note, there are a few different programs that can make the act palette files but I've always used pcxpal from the old DOS MUGEN for this stuff anyway, the lines in the def file should be something like these (only using Athena instead of...)

pal1 = ???.act

pal2 = ??2.act

pal3, pal4, etc.

I tried to write "pal1 = AthenaXIII.act" but it doesn't change anything. I recolored part of the hair and saved it as act file, then I added the text "pal1 = ***.act" on the def file, but when I play it shows the standard palette.