Self Reputation

Ryon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URQQAycWJmw

• 7 months later...

Okay, now that this thread has been revived, I have one question:

Why the fuck do we even have the ability to self rep ourselves? Seems like a waste to me to be able to do something we're not supposed to do. Just my opinion though. I'm sure Ryon has a reason for not being able to change it.

Yeah, the reason is that Ryon is NOT a web developer and doesn't understand the inner workings of a website past very basic html, not including semantics. He didn't code this forum. The software is pre-built and has a feature set that, while can be extended, doesn't come with everything you'd want right out of the box. That functionality would have to be found and tweaked. If done manually, future forum updates can render those changes useless. Therefore, the best way to handle something like that is to find a plugin or extension that provides said functionality and install it. I can't say (at the time of writing) if something like this exists or not.

Yeah, the reason is that Ryon is NOT a web developer and doesn't understand the inner workings of a website past very basic html, not including semantics. He didn't code this forum. The software is pre-built and has a feature set that, while can be extended, doesn't come with everything you'd want right out of the box. That functionality would have to be found and tweaked. If done manually, future forum updates can render those changes useless. Therefore, the best way to handle something like that is to find a plugin or extension that provides said functionality and install it. I can't say (at the time of writing) if something like this exists or not.

IPB has a big community. I am sure there are many plugins to do that. If there aren't, just write your own. It shouldn't be hard. All you have to do is check UserIDs. If the UserID of the person +/- repping is the same as the UserID of the person who is being repped then it would display a message saying "You can't do that" or whatever.

Reason why I prefer MyBB and/or vBulletin over IPB. Although IPB has a easy to use admin panel but I don't believe the API is that well documented, at least the last time I checked.