Rurouni Kenshin Soul And Sword Full Game

Aoshi24

I found some motivation to continue working on Sagara Sanosuke.  With that, I also decided to work on Okita Souji from the Shinsengumi (based on the Rurouni Kenshin anime). Note that these characters will be for MUGEN 1.0 only.  Check out the preview video.

Demonstration video of Okita Souji and Sagara Sanosuke Alpha version

Okita Souji
Most of the coding is basically done. Everything will be refined once I am done editing all necessary sprites.  Here is the planned moveset and I hope to come up with two level 1 hypers.  He will have two level 2 hypers (one charging attack and one counter attack) and no level 3 hypers.

=======================================================================
Special Attacks
=======================================================================

Takedown        F, b+y (close and can also be done during mibu charge)
Hirazuki F, z 
Upward Hirazuki F,D,DF x/y/z (can also be done during sandanzuki or mibu charge)
Downward Hirazuki D,DF,F x/y/z (on the air)
Sandanzuki        D,DF,F x/y/z (can also be done during mibu charge)
Sliding kick        D,DF,F a/b/c (can also be done during mibu charge)
Miburo charge D,DB,B a/b/c (can be cancelled by hop back)
Seigan counter          a+x (can also be done during mibu charge)

======================================================================
Desperation Attacks 
======================================================================

LVL 2: Seigan No Kamae       D,DB,B, a+b
LVL 2: Mumyo-ken     D,DF,F, x+y

Sagara Sanosuke
I will continue working on DanMT's sprites which is based on Kiwami by Edogawa Inpo.  Most basic movements are done except for walking.  Attack sprites will be worked on as soon as Okita is done.

Here is a concept sprite:
anim16411321564.gif

Sano will be a fist fighter by default.  His zanbatou will be in the background and Sano can pick it up/drop it during the match Samurai shodown style.  

In fist mode, he will be able to punch, kick, and throw.  His level 1 super will be a rushing punch attack.  His level 2 will be Futae no Kiwami which is unblockable but it will hurt him as well.  Sanjuu no kiwami is his level 3 super.  Similar to my Kenshin's ougi 2nd step, Sano can only perform sanju no kiwami when futae no kiwami connects and Sano has 20% life.  It will resemble Terry's Buster Wolf.   :P

When he picks up the zanbatou, he will be in Zanza mode.  In this mode, he can only swing his sword 4 ways (up, down, side to side, and poke). He will not have any specials/hypers.  He will also not be able to jump nor duck, but he will have superarmor.  When he is put in a custom state, he will drop his sword.  To prevent abuse of the zanbatou, it will also have its own "health" meter (sort of like Jojo's stand system) and its health will deplete every time it connects or gets guarded.  When it's "health" is zero, the sword will break and you cannot use it for the remainder of the match.

If you have any suggestions or any other move ideas, let me know. Until then.. thanks for all your support!

Yea, I forgot to mention that he will definitely have one super with the zanbatou.  It will be that move he used on Kenshin when he spun the zanbatou over his head and swung his sword.  That will be his only super with the zanbatou though.  I don't want him to have that many options with it or else he may become broken. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Disk.  Good news is that the spriter for Sanosuke is back in action so it's definitely going to be easier for me to have more and faster progress with him.

In the meantime, I finished the sprites for Okita's basic movements such as walk, run, jump, crouching, defend.  Next up are the attack sprites.  For an idea of how he will play, check out this gameplay video.  Thanks for the support!

Sorry for the double post but I have some fantastic news.  My partner DanMT is back and it looks like Sanosuke will get done sooner than expected!  He finished all basic attack sprites and basic movements/get hits sprites.  I guess my next update will show a video preview.. For now, here are some samples.. Enjoy!

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image
Posted Image

Not sure if there's anyone tracking this project but I wanted to get some input on what his zanbato stance should look like before I show another video showcase.  Here are some stances that I frankensprited from all of the available sprites that I have.  Please let me know which one you think is the best to use. Thanks!

Posted Image   Posted Image     Posted Image

The 1st -  Looks good but that would fit an attack rather than just a stand imo tho he give the aparence that the sword is actually heavy.

The 2nd - That one fits more to an attack too imo. 

The 3rd - Looks more natural imo i dont see any problem with that one. 

I go for the 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a preview video of Sagara Sanosuke beta.  Required Sanosuke sprites are done for the most part and sounds have been successfully ripped from the PS2 and PSP games.  Progress has definitely been smooth and he might actually be finished before Okita. We'll see how it goes.

Here is the proposed movelist..

Special Attacks
Kiwami Hazushi        
Headbutt                
air headbutt            
Shoulder tackle        
Machine Gun punch
Futae No Kiwami
Leaping Futae No Kiwame
Rising Tackle
Elbow drop        
Activate Zanza mode (near Zanbatou)
Downward swing (in Zanza mode)
Horizontal swing (in Zanza mode)
Zanbatou Thrust (in Zanza mode)

Desperation Attacks
*Machine Gun Punch EX    
**Kiwami Hazushi Counter 
**Zanbatou Smash       (only in Zanza mode)
***Sanjou No Kiwami      (when any Futae No Kiwami special connects)

• 2 months later...
Thanks again for all the support!  Here is the latest preview for Sanosuke on Mugen 1.1.

Notes:  
* Sano has 2 versions of Futae No Kiw. to keep the opponent guessing. Straight or leaping.  It is chargeable as well for more damage
* Futae is unblockable but it has low priority... when it connects Sano will take some damage as well
* In zanza mode, he has limited super armor (only flinch after 2nd consecutive hit) and it can be cancelled when thrown... 
* Zanza mode also requires 1 power level to activate (I might change it to level 2 for more balance.. I don't know yet)

What I'm working on:
* Looking for better hit/guard sounds for zanbatou... any suggestions??
* grab, Hypers and victory movie

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, I will definitely look for other sounds to replace the default mugen hit sounds.  

Anyway, I was able to rip some nice scenes from the PS1 RPG game "Rurouni Kenshin: Juuyuushi Inbou Hen" and I was wondering if anyone can help me decide which is the best to use. OR if anyone knows of any scenes with Sano that can work, let me know as well. 

http://youtu.be/-Yzr64l5oMY

Hopefully if all goes well, I can release Sano by the end of summer/start of fall. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed I've posted many updates for Sano and few for Okita Souji. To all Shinsengumi fans, here is an updated preview! Sorry for the low video quality.

http://youtu.be/f-kuffVO4iI

Sprites are still work in progress while coding is done for the most part.  Two new supers were added since the last update. I've also added a combo system that only Okita can do in which players can extend combos with Mibu charge-Slide kick.  Damage dampener and limited power add were added to balance things out though.

It will be worth the wait... Enjoy the video for now!

• 5 months later...
I just wanted to apologize for the lack of updates on the Rurouni Kenshin Mugen project. I haven't been able to touch the project since I had to move to a different state for a new job and I was also on vacation for a bit. 

Do not worry though... the project is still alive! Now that I'm settled for a bit, I can continue with the sprites for Okita Souji. Here is a playthrough video showing how much is done with Okita and the full game.  I hope you enjoy the playthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-NYWc3wQ8&list=UU7K0vphu2Xmb_9fZj53Gzjg&feature=share

As you can tell from the video, I still have a long way to go to finish Okita's sprites but at least the gameplay is solid and bug free.  I will try my best to finish Okita as soon as possible... and maybe even release a beta version of the full game in Fall 2014!

In the meantime, here is how much I've done so far with Okita sprites...
- Idle stances (standing, crouch,turn,guard) = 100%
- Win/Lose/Taunt = 90%
- Movement (walk, run, jump) = 75%
- Get hit/ Lie down = 50%
- Attacks = 0%

At the moment, I am using other creators' works (such as Master Yoda and XTRM) as placeholders until I can figure out a way to rip stages from the PSP games.  They will be credited though unless they don't want me to use their works at all.  

It looks like the bgs in the rk games are broken down to different 3d elements.  I guess the best way to convert these stages is to use screenshots through an emulator and break it down to different elements with cybaster's stage tool. For the time being, I'm putting more focus on the characters.