Your thoughts on "Rare" & "Private" chars

Demitri

Private Mugen stuff makes me want to quit Mugen most of the time. Unless private for testing/for certain will be released later/WIP, that's the only reason it's needed for real, and I don't mind. I swear man... I don't mind rare stuff, because SOMEONE has to have it somewhere, and with a request you CAN get it, so...

As a creator, I've got my own "rare" and "private" stuff too, and these are my reasons for their existence :

Rare :

Things I've released in the past but no longer on my site. They are either

-Old broken garbage that would make you cry if you saw it

-Edits of various characters in order to make them somewhat less broken...which ended with them still being too broken/unfair anyway.

-Older versions of characters I've updated or remade into something much better.

or more often, a combination of those reasons. 95% of these I even deleted from my own computer, with the last 5% rotting away somewhere in a forgotten rar file.

Private :

I have a friend who likes really overpowered stuff and I made a few of his favorite characters. These are kept private simply because they are both broken gameplay wise (hit start to win), have no AI, and generally have severe bugs too (as I don't fix the bugs coming from the original version I edit). If any of them becomes at least acceptable quality, I'll make them available. In fact, I think one of them is, I recently completed adding AI to it...release time, download at your own risk (and don't press the start button lol)

• 1 month later...

Private characters are pretty pointless imo, there's no real reason to have them other than to show off your e-peen.

I do have to agree with that. Of course I'm basing my agreement on the fact that I've seen things like Celestial Orochi who has absolutely no reason not to be released beyond personal decision, and the stuff by MugenFan which is usually punching bags of other authors he made out of spite and posts online just to taunt others.

As for rare's, well, I can say that while I do find it kind of annoying when I can't find a character I am desperately searching for. Sort of like a forbidden fruit angle: I want what I can't have. In this case, however, it's not that it's bad for me, it's just that I can't find any.

You shouldn't show anything private, people are going to be questioning you and getting angry because they don't have it, like Gogan for example. If it's private then that's the creator shovin their business in everyone's faces. If it's rare, then few people have it, I've shared some rare, or at least stuff that people haven't seen before. People just need to appreciate the things they have and the opportunities that Mugen brings us all. Be thankful for what you have in Mugen, not what you don't have.

You shouldn't show anything private, people are going to be questioning you and getting angry because they don't have it, like Gogan for example. If it's private then that's the creator shovin their business in everyone's faces. If it's rare, then few people have it, I've shared some rare, or at least stuff that people haven't seen before. People just need to appreciate the things they have and the opportunities that Mugen brings us all. Be thankful for what you have in Mugen, not what you don't have.

Sometimes it's hard not to be disappointed over the fact that the only mistake you made is that you weren't aware of its existence when it was around, though.

Sometimes it's hard not to be disappointed over the fact that the only mistake you made is that you weren't aware of its existence when it was around, though.

You're right, but I can get over that. The characters I've seen over the years are more than enough for me to have, and I love em. 

• 1 year later...

I honestly don't see how people can claim that their creations are private, and only share it with a friend. You still technically made it public, but only to people that you selected. The worst example of this is the Kula edit, Frozen Heart, the author (Pandacialake) no longer has her anymore, but demands that it be kept private. The worst part is that he gave it to not one, not two, but three people. A YouTuber named Buraido, someone on deviantart named, Ierukah, and suppossidly his older brother, according to the artist. 

I apologize if this sounds like I'm being a jerk, I have no quarrel with anyone, but it's bad enough we have dead W.I.P, it's bad enough we have characters that are hard to find, it's bad enough some characters are forever offline, but I swear the biggest blight in the Mugen community is private edits/characters. >:-(

2 hours ago, Futanari's Honor said:

I dunno. People do have every right, so..

Don't get me wrong, they certainly have the right to keep their work private, but if so, then it's probably best if you "never" showcase it. That way it really is private and nobody gets jealous and aren't up to your armpits in requests and complaints. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2015 at 0:33 PM, cartwheel champion said:

Private Mugen stuff makes me want to quit Mugen most of the time. Unless private for testing/for certain will be released later/WIP, that's the only reason it's needed for real, and I don't mind. I swear man... I don't mind rare stuff, because SOMEONE has to have it somewhere, and with a request you CAN get it, so...

IRK? Then what's the point? It's like that kid in school who brings his toys to class, and shoves them in your face, but wont let you touch it.