select.def

Ryon

Select.def is located in the Data folder by default.

The Select.def is a file that allows you to add more characters to your M.U.G.E.N engine, as well as stages, and set the flow of your Arcade and Team Arcade modes.

First a basic example of a Select.def file.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man
Ryu
Kyo
Sol Badguy
[ExtraStages]
stages/mountain_side_temple.def
stages/suzaku_castle.def
stages/Iruka_86.def
stages/New_York.def
[Options]
arcade.maxmatches = 6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
team.maxmatches = 4,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

First lets start from the top; The [Characters] Brakket.

The characters brackket is where you input the characters directory for there def file. The characters folder name should match the characters .def filename within the folder.

For Instance if have a folder Kung Fu Man but inside has a kfm.def , simple adding Kung Fu Man to your select will NOT work.

Chars
->Kung Fu Man
--> kfm.def

both should have the same name.

Chars
->Kung Fu Man
--> Kung Fu Man.def

Always check to make sure there the same name, and if not simple right click on the .def file and rename it to match the folder.

Some characters come with multiple .def files within them, One good example of this is Ryu by POTS.

Chars
->Ryu
-->Ryu.def
-->Normal.def
-->Evil.def
-->Master.def

Now why does ryu have more than 1? Because Ryu in this case has different modes with in him, which can be clearified by the name of the .def file. the DIFFERENCE between all of these files is added Ryu gives you the option to all 4 versions of Ryu. where as putting Normal, evil or master, only gives you that 1 option. IF you want to add a character with more than 1 .def this is how you do it.

[Characters]

Ryu/

Ryu/ means its going to look into the Ryu folder, IF you have more than 1 Ryu folder its going to look into the first one.

[Characters]
Ryu/Ryu.def

This allows for the 4 version ryu. Now if you just wanted the Evil and the Master version you could put

[Characters]
Ryu/Evil.def
Ryu/Master.def

Now you have 2 ryu's on your select screen that will be displayed as the same, but there gameplay would be different (at least as much as each version is)

Aside from the Characters inclusion into the game, You also have the option to set a character to a certain stage for instance a boss character would only be fought on his stage instead of someone elses. To do that you need to specify what stage the boss is gonna be on. Here is an example.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man, random, order = 1
Suave Dude, stages/Boss_stage.def, order = 3

As you can see I set the stage for Suave Dude to the Boss_stage.def and I gave him a order of 3, which is explained at the bottom under [Options]. Kung Fu Man on the other hand has random assigned to him, which means that Kung Fu Man can be played on a random stage and is not forced to be on 1 stage.

Other options that you could use are "music" and "includestage" , Music is used if you want to have a certain song play when that character is being fought during arcade mode. Sorta like if you want Ryu's Theme song to play during a Ryu fight. Here is a example.

[Characters]
Ryu,stages/suzaku_temple.def, order=1, music =

now thats the general code for adding music to a character, NOW to locate the music by default mugen would look at the root (mugen folder itself) I STRONGLY recommend putting all your music in the sound folder.

you would use

sound/

to locate the sound folder, then the songs filename.

sound/mysong.mp3

Mugen Supports various music types, but its recommended you use Midi, MP3, or OGG. Midi and MP3 is more friendly towards Mugen.

Now to actually place that in the select file it should look like this

[Characters]
Ryu, stages/suzaku_castle.def, order=1, music=sound/mysong.mp3

IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THE MUSIC CODE HAS NEVER WORKED, SOME CLAIM IT DOES. I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN IT TO WORK.

Now on to the "includestage" code.

includestage = booleen

booleen means 1 or 0, true or false

If you want to give a boss character a stage, and you dont want no one else to play on it, or select it from the versus mode or training mode, includestage is the code for you. it works more or less how it looks, here is an example.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man.def, stages/mountain_side_temple.def, order = 1 , includestage = 1

the code above basically says kung fu man will fight ONLY on the mountain_side_temple.def stage, and his stage IS selectable because it is included.

Now that you've learned Stage Assignment, Music Assignment, and Inclusion codes I'll explain Order.

Order basically sets the character to a rank, the ranks are from 1 ~ 10. 1 being the lowest 10 being the highest. Depending on how you set the [Options] part of the select.def changes how you should use your numbers

When I explain the [Options] part i'll explain much more about order =.

Here is an example of a very very Simple select.def that works.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man
Ken
Terry
Ky

And here is an example of a more complicated one.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man, Random, Order = 1
Ken, Random, Order = 1
Terry, stages/italy_96.def, Order = 2, includestage = 0
Ky, stages/Holy_Orders.def, Order = 3, music=sound/boss.mp3, includestage = 0

of course you can mix these 2 simple and complicated.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man
Ken, Random, Order = 1
Terry
Ky, stages/Holy_Orders.def, Order = 3, music=sound/boss.mp3, includestage = 0

########################################################################

Now to add stages are rather simple as they are not as complicated as a character.

under the [Extrastages] Brackket, simple put

[Extrastages]
stages/

to locate the folder, then the stage's name.def

[Extrastages]
stages/mystage.def

As far as I know, ALL stages work unless they are from before the year 2000. (Any Stage made in 1999 used less strings and compression of the sff file, that its unreadable in mugen for some reason, however a program like MCM or Fighter Factory or ZCharCad can still open it, to view)

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE!

If you are assigning a stage to a character as I showed you above, DO NOT list the stage under [Extrastages] as it will appear as a duplicate in the stage selection during the game.

########################################################################

Now to finally explain Order ='s and these [Options]

[Options]
team.maxmatches = 4,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
arcade.maxmatches, basically sets the flow of your arcade mode.

the way its currently set by default

you will have

6 order = 1 matchs

1 order = 2 match

1 order = 3 match

0 order = 4 matchs

0 order = 5 matchs

0 order = 6 matchs

0 order = 7 matchs

0 order = 8 matchs

0 order = 9 matchs

0 order = 10 matchs

If you set a character to Order=4, and your maxmatches numbers has 0, in the 4th slot, then you will NOT fight this character in arcade mode. But will still be selectable.

The same rules apply to team.maxmatches, Just keep in mind since its 2 on 2, using the same values as arcade may result in a what looks like a longer game.

Here is another example of a arcade.maxmatches flow chart, and how the [Characters] select portion is used to accomidate it.

[Options]
arcade.maxmatches = 2,2,1,1,1,2,1,0,0,0

you will have

2 order = 1 matchs

2 order = 2 match

1 order = 3 match

1 order = 4 matchs

1 order = 5 matchs

2 order = 6 matchs

1 order = 7 matchs

0 order = 8 matchs

0 order = 9 matchs

0 order = 10 matchs

and this is how it will look on your [Characters] portion. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE.

[Characters]
Kung Fu Man, Random, Order = 1
Ryu, Random, Order = 1
Ken, Random, Order = 2
Terry, Random, Order = 2
SF2 Car Bonus , stages/car_bonus.def, Order = 3
Akuma, stages/Goukis_stage.def, Order = 4
Geese, stages/Geeses_stage.def, Order = 5
Rugal, Random, Order = 6
Bison, Random, Order = 6
Sagat, Random, Order = 6
Dragonclaw, stages/Dragonclaws_stage.def , Order = 7

so you would fight 4 regular matches, have 1 bonus stage, fight 4 (out of 5) mid bosses, and 1 final boss.

You do not have to put them in order like i have displayed here, it was merely for example sake.

Well thats It. If you have any questions PLEASE post it below.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON ANOTHER SITE OTHER THAN MUGEN FREE FOR ALL.

PLEASE VISIT MUGENFREEFORALL.COM

• 2 months later...

sound/

to locate the sound folder, then the songs filename.

sound/mysong.mp3

Mugen Supports various music types, but its recommended you use Midi, MP3, or OGG. Midi and MP3 is more friendly towards Mugen.

Now to actually place that in the select file it should look like this

[Characters]
Ryu, stages/suzaku_castle.def, order=1, music=sound/mysong.mp3

IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THE MUSIC CODE HAS NEVER WORKED, SOME CLAIM IT DOES. I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN IT TO WORK.

This code works on arcade mode, the music will be played if your facing the char where the song is assigned to. But you still have to assign a song on the stage it self otherwise you'll not gonna be having a bgm during your fight in versus mode.

EX:

[Ryu, stages/suzaku_castle.def, order=1, music=sound/mysong.mp3] = mysong will play if you face Ryu on the arcade

suzaku_castle.def

[bgmusic = sound/exsong.mp3] = exsong will play if you choose that stage in versus, training, or demo mode

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many characters can you have in order...Can you put like this... fdio, stages/jojoredmoon.def, order=198?Or is there a limit to how many characters there are for arcade? Also does every character that I don't want to fight have to have order=0?

Alright, two things:

First, a thingy to add: I sort my stages by series, and if I do the normal character stage thing, it puts it into the front. So I use includestage = 0 and keep it in the stage thing.

Second, is there any way to make the computer never select a certain character? Like in Survival, bosses from IWBTG and most Touhou characters cause me to use F1 when I'm using a normal character. It's incredibly hard to beat Reimu with Ryu is my point.

yes. because the order =, tells your mugen which character your gonna fight next. using order = 11, for instance (1 more than 10, or 0, 1 less than 0) mugen will read it as someone who is not selectable.

• 2 months later...

Is there a SIMPLE way to get an alternate DEF or CNS character files loaded from Select.DEF? I never knew of one but there's a few small version edits of characters I want loaded all from either holding- start/-enter/-taunt whiel selecting them. I know there's a means to create a character to do it manually, but before I go into trying to learn ALL of that, I wanted to ask in the right place (to get answers)

ONLY if the creator makes it that way to select with holding start. the other way would be using the way i mentioned in the above post. Character Folder / Character Def 1 . def Character Folder / Character Def 2 . def

• 1 month later...

I can't make [Options]. I set order for charaters but they still do random appearance don't follow orders. :(. Please help if you know. This is In my select.def look like : Arc_VP, order = 1 ash kof 9 16 2007 MDK & Joahie, order = 2 Morrigan, order = 3 Training, order = 4 [Options] arcade.maxmatches = 1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 ;(4th slot = 0 because i don't want to fight with Training Char) team.maxmatches = 15,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0

I'm trying to get background music for a stage. If I read this right: EX: [Ryu, stages/suzaku_castle.def, order=1, music=sound/mysong.mp3] = mysong will play if you face Ryu on the arcade suzaku_castle.def [bgmusic = sound/exsong.mp3] = exsong will play if you choose that stage in versus, training, or demo mode Then my select.def should look like this under extra stages: [ExtraStages] stages/museum.def bgmusic=sound/sf2-08-dhalsim.mp3 Doesn't work. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong place? Thanks in advance.

your doing it wrong. there is no bgmusic = , code like that it has to be like this Ryu , Stages/Suzakucastle.def , order = 1 , music = sound/yourmp3.mp3 thats now it works. there is NO BGMUSIC code under EXTRASTAGES, that is not a valid code. If you just want to give the stage music, open up the stage.def file and look for [Music] and change it there.

• 2 months later...

...i tried to read it the best i could..so if i want to make 30 fights (all with with randoms chars), and the 5th one is a bonus stage (which i name like this):

Car2.def,Order=1

i have to make like this?:

[Options]

arcade.maxmatches = 0,0,0,0,1 (bonus stage),0,0,0,0,1(bonus stage),0,0,0,0,1(bonus stage),0,0,0,0,1(bonus stage),0,0,0,0,1(bonus stage),0,0,0,0,1(bonus stage),

thx for replying

Yann

ps: good to learn about the several chars in a folder ;) good to classify chars by games in folders ;)