Overrated and Underrated characters from videos games

aperson98

Simple topic who is overrated and underrated in video games. Well I have a few different characters from different series I would like to add my two cents about so here goes. Video game characters Overrated characters - Shadow the hedgehog- Should have stayed dead after SA2 nuff said Kratos- I don't think he is a bad character I just think there isn't much to his character other then revenge and a lust for violence/women Lara croft - She be a badass and she may have helped pave the way for female character leads in video games but character wise she doesn't have much else going for her really Ryu (SF) - I know he is the poster boy of SF, but character wise he is sooooooo dull. Scorpion (MK)- I love Scorpion I really do, but I feel that some people seem to put this guy on a freaking pedestal and act like the other characters of the series are invisible. Underrated- Tails - He seems to get needless hate for god knows what reason come on he is a two tailed fox who can fly. I know he is a better character then a lot of the other ones Sega shat out. Axl(Megaman X series)- This character can shoot like Bass can, copy an enemy, and hover briefly in the air, but for some reason Axl never seemed to get the same level of love X and Zero did I not saying he is a great character, but I do feel he tends to get the shaft sometimes.

I agree on all accounts, really. Except, maybe Ryu Shadow was one awesome character, but he was created to last one single game. Then came furry fandom and everything became shit Kratos is a bad character, created inspired by the 300 movie/graphic novel. Testosterone-fueled character Lara Croft was a good character, but she overstayed her welcome. Ryu was a fairly developed character at the time and became a icon like Mario and Sonic. When you say "Capcom" the chances are you're going to think of him or MegaMan. You only hear about him when Capcom releases a SF or a VS game (which got a revival lately) Scorpion is a character created thanks to the hardware limitations. Sure, he and SubZero got most developed stories, but that's it. Okay, I like SubZero and I'm a SubZero player. Other character that overstayed his welcome, like Lara Croft, is Duke Nukem. He had fun 2D games (I played them), a good 3D game but DNF is shit. We could have lived without this disappointment and it would have been healthier for the company if we dreamed about DNF for a while longer. About Tails...Never cared him too much. It's a good niche character, but he don't appeals me And I agree on Axl. The dude is awesome and needs more love. Too bad he comes from a bad game and too late in the series.

Shadow was one awesome character, but he was created to last one single game. Then came furry fandom and everything became shit

Shhhhhhhhhh. Posted Image ...But yeah, I agree.

Overrated Characters

Kratos: I agree a lot here. It might just be me, but appearance wise, he reminds me of Kor from Weapon Lords. (Old Namco Fighting Game.) ...Maybe it's just the red facial tattoo. God of War itself doesn't really appeal to me. Maybe I'm into less serious things or something.

Solid Snake: Yeah, I know I'm going to get hated for this, but I never really cared for this character, either. It's kind of the same deal, though. I'm into more whimsical characters and games over games that are more serious. I'm not an overall fan of this character's personality, though.

Shadow the Hedgehog: Wannabe bad-asses are the kind of characters I dislike the most. I am not a fan of anti-hero type characters in general, but Shadow doesn't even do THAT right. The thing I dislike the most about this guy is that his girlfriend is HUMAN! Ewww. Trans-species relationships, for the most part, gross me out, so THIS was pretty WTF to me.

Underrated Characters

Big/Cream: These characters get a lot of hate for reasons I understand. Big for being a dumb character, and Cream for her squeaky voice. But I do have a thing for characters like Big that are relatively large and pleasantly plump. As for Cream, I don't like her voice either. It was tolerable in Sonic Battle, but everywhere else it was annoying. But she's still a cute character. And her voice is STILL more tolerable than those stupid chipmunks (Who I cannot STAND, to be honest).

Megaman EXE: Megaman EXE may not be one of the more popular Megaman incarnations, but I personally prefer EXE over X or Volnutt. I also enjoyed playing Megaman Battle Network more than some people I know. It's a little different from the others, but IMO, that's what made it fun for me.

My favorite Pokemon: I am not sure Pokemon count, but I do know that my favorite Pokemon is arguably the most despised of all Pokemon: Bibarel. I know a lot of people think Bibarel's wide eyes, red nose, and buck teeth make him look stupid, but I personally find Bibarel's stare, red nose, and teeth to be adorable. ...Yeah, call me a pansy if you want.

Overrated character: Sonic-Yes Sonic is overrated.Too many times I see him idolized and called an original when he has ripped off of DBZ.Yes he is pretty creative but people give him WAY too much idolization.Again I also know he is Sega's mascot.He also has very little story in games but in the comics he actually gets some backstory.Too bad the fans don't really pay ALOT of attention to the games. Goku-He is the main character but I haven't seen alot of DBZ fans talk about anyone else but Goku,Vegeta,Broli,Cell,Frieza,Piccolo.I am mainly talking about the american "fans". Naruto-Ninja huh?Well a ninja's attribute is stealth and with all that bright orange he doesn't fit it well...So what if he has a nine-tailed fox spirit those are tame compared to divine fox spirits.All I hear is that he is the best when he can't even control an avarage deamon.This is all mainly from american "fans". Pikachu-Do I even need to explain?Just because he is Ash's first pokemon doesn't mean everyone should go crazy over it.There are many better and cuter pokemon out there.I again state it's the people who know nothing about pokemon outside pikachu and Ash. Ash-Many people confused Red,the pokemon manga/Red,Blue,Green protagonist with Ash in Heart Gold and Soul Silver.I found it sad that he is just so used in everything by fans.It's Ash this and Ash that.He gets WAY too much attention for just being an anime protagonist. Underrated Character: Red-This guy is who they based Ash off of.He was the main protagonist of the pokemon manga and the first games along with being the Final Boss for the Heart Gold and Soul Silver.His theme is awesome and it is very cool to hear but if you see comments some say he is Ash...Bullshit... Chaos-A water creature/monster that keeps the Master emerald safe by destroying.He has only appeared as a major character in ONE game and he still managed to remain a favorite.I barely hear his name.... Bruno Bucciarati-He is one of JJBA's part 5 protagonist.He is ignored not only because JJBA parts 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 haven't been released outside Japan but I rarely hear about him.He can manipulate bounda-I mean open zippers anywhere and dismember a person or thing like that.He can also use that to get around fast.His death was a very big lead up in the manga but to some,JJBA is Jotaro and DIO and maybe Polnareff.At least they aren't THAT overrated. Rinnosuke Morichika-For all we know he is god in the Touhou project series.Touhou has a tendency to have all of its characters get some attention but...He just doesn't get enough...

Overrated: CLOUD - people think he's COOL 'coz he's the main char in FF7/AC.. IMO he's gay and a weakass.. Underated: MM EXE - i'm with ulti on the MM EXE series but i'm a protoman fan.. :D

Overrated Characters

Shadow the Hedgehog: Wannabe bad-asses are the kind of characters I dislike the most. I am not a fan of anti-hero type characters in general, but Shadow doesn't even do THAT right. The thing I dislike the most about this guy is that his girlfriend is HUMAN! Ewww. Trans-species relationships, for the most part, gross me out, so THIS was pretty WTF to me.

Well Shadow didn't strike me as that in SA2, however he does in any game he starred in since. He was a well written character in SA2 there was something in his character he has not had in later games.. depth he didn't feel flat as character like he did in his future games. This is why Shadow would have been much more memorable had he just stayed dead after SA2.

As for his relation to Maria, well Princess Elise's relationship with Sonic was WORSE.

Other character that overstayed his welcome, like Lara Croft, is Duke Nukem. He had fun 2D games (I played them), a good 3D game but DNF is shit. We could have lived without this disappointment and it would have been healthier for the company if we dreamed about DNF for a while longer.

they should have just retired dear old Duke sure he was a cool 90's character, but that's just it he was a great character for the 90's era.

Ryu was a fairly developed character at the time and became a icon like Mario and Sonic. When you say "Capcom" the chances are you're going to think of him or MegaMan. You only hear about him when Capcom releases a SF or a VS game (which got a revival lately)

The problem is I feel Ryu suffers when he is by himself I feel that he works better as a character when he is paired with Ken to two just work better as characters when they are together, I also feel the same way about Blanka/Sakura when they are paired with Dan.

Overrated: Sonic: Furry fans killed his franchise, Ripping off other games/animes! Cloud: Kids just like him because hes got a big anime sword! Jill Valentine: Capcom whores this char like crazy! Chris Redfield: Same as above! Naruto: Rips off One Piece in so many ways! Naturo's Stupid fox mode, copies Luffy's Gear Second! Lucario: KAMEKAME HA!!! Wannabe nuff said! Yukimura Sananda: Fake ass bullshit in Samurai Warriors 3, the whole I'm in love with Inahime thing! none of that is true! Ness: No one knows Earthbound But hes cool cus he was in SSBB! Its a true fact here! Marisa Kirisame: Too much witch is bad for ya! Underrated: Takamaru: Nazo No Murasamejou; brought Legend of zelda to existence! He was just like link but a samurai! Nobunaga Oda: Coolest Darth Vader wannabe/samurai but people hate samurai! Ninten: Earthbound 1 is the best but idiots only know Ness ans Lucas! Marth: People only recognize him in SSBB not for the real reason he exists! Adam: Body Harvest; Coolest! badass! space marine but people mistake him for Samus! Mach Rider: Coolest bike rider alien killer guy but people mistake him for the excite bike rider! Sora: The stories don't seem to focus on him, rather other people in Kingdom Hearts! Himura Kenshin: Like I said before! people hates samurais! Hong Mailing: Needs more rep! nuff said!

Overrated: Megaman.exe - Honestly I Used To Watch/Play The Games Of Him And Saw That They Where Far Different Then My Favorites Blue Bomber/Maverick Hunter Series... RIP Megaman! Also Too Many Noobs Claim "This Is The Successor" Witch Pisses Me Off! Also Ultimicia I'm Not Trying To Offend You. Naruto - Do I Even Need To Explan... Rip Off Of One Piece Jigglypuff - Okay Yeah Just Cuz It Appeared In The Cartoon Singing Its Name... Everyone Loved It... Its Annoying I Hate It I Wish I Can Kill It. Ike(Fire Emblem) - SSBB Really Made Me Hate The Character. But Too Many People Love Him Just Cuz "HES GOTS A GOLD SWORD!!!" I Peasonally Did Not Like This Character In His Firemblem Franchise He Didn't Look Well Developed(Rip Off Of Marth In My Opinion) Kazuya Mishima - I See A Lot Of People Love Playing As Him More Than Jin Kazama That Ain't Right Jin Kazama Is The Main Character Of The Series Hell, They Even Added Him In Soul Cailbur For CAS Underrated: Isaac (Golden Sun Series) - I Peasonally Loved This Characters Story In The Golden Sun Series But Man That Sucked On GS2 How You Played As Someone Else (Felix) And Not Him. I Wish They Gave Him A Longer Story. Saki Amamiya (Sin And Punishment) - This Character Is Not Very Popular Cuz People Only Like Him Cuz Of His In Super Smash Bros. Brawl At A Midnight Release For A Game I Asked A Few People Where Is He From... You'll Be Surpired That Mainy People Say SSBB Not Sin And Punishment. Red (Pokemon) - Same Like Killswitch Said :( I Agree

How exactly is Naruto a ripoff of One Piece? I don't get it? I mean, I might be slightly biased cause I honestly don't like either series, but still. Also: Ness is overrated all around. People have never heard of Earthbound because, truth be told, Earthbound wasn't a very good game. ...At least in my opinion. But I know so many people who swear by it.

How exactly is Naruto a ripoff of One Piece? I don't get it? I mean, I might be slightly biased cause I honestly don't like either series, but still.

Luffy's Gear second: turns red with steam on him.

Naruto's stupid fox forme: turns red but with seals on him thats how Naruto is a rip off!

Marisa isn't overrated.She's just the cover girl.Plus their is never too much witch ever.Not if they are like Marisa.The popularity contest of touhou has claimed her most popular in 2005 only.That isn't THAT overrated.

I don't know if this is an appropriate question, but am I the only furry that strongly dislikes Felicia. Whenever I play the Darkstalkers series, I usually play either Talbain or Sasquatch, sometimes Lord Raptor, Bishimon, Anakaris, Morrigan, etc. Felicia is one of the characters I almost NEVER use, because to be honest, I think she's particularly ugly, actually. It's kind of hard to explain what I dislike about her design, but one of those reasons are those tacky pink claws. Honestly my least favorite Darkstalker's character next to Baby Bonnie Hood.

Shadow was one awesome character, but he was created to last one single game. Then came furry fandom and everything became shit

Dont be hating on us Furry's...... Well, at least me anyways. Its not like I had anything to do with it. :troll:

Sonic: Furry fans killed his franchise, Ripping off other games/animes!

Come on now.... It wasn't just the furries that ruined that. There's plenty of other Sonic fan dorks that do the same shit. (Makeing up fan based stories and whatnot)

I don't know if this is an appropriate question, but am I the only furry that strongly dislikes Felicia. Whenever I play the Darkstalkers series, I usually play either Talbain or Sasquatch, sometimes Lord Raptor, Bishimon, Anakaris, Morrigan, etc. Felicia is one of the characters I almost NEVER use, because to be honest, I think she's particularly ugly, actually. It's kind of hard to explain what I dislike about her design, but one of those reasons are those tacky pink claws. Honestly my least favorite Darkstalker's character next to Baby Bonnie Hood.

I would have to say yes..... Your the only furry that thinks that.

I dont think she's the hottest. Or even much of a Cat furr myself. But I dont hate her... Or think she's ugly.

She actually is quite fun to play as, you should give her a shot and you may just like her.

Seriously, I don't really have an overrated list, unless you talk about the mainstrea mainstream ones like Ichigo/Luffy/Naruto/Sasuke then sure I don't like them at all just because they're not developed enough to my liking. Ichigo being overly dumb, Luffy being overly too positive on situations, Naruto being retarded most of the time and Sasuke being the emo that he is >_> And...the underrated characters? Crash Bandicoot - He's cool as fuck and you know it, spin like crazy to kill shit XD I don't remember that much on how many underrated characters is there since most of them got fair attention =x

Underrated Ryu Hayabusa-A Ninja & yet he can do barely any acrobatics Overrated Ezio Auditore-An Assassin(not as acrobatic as a Ninja Should be) & yet can grab,climb, & swing from damn near everything In other words if Team Ninja fixed Ryu's acrobatic abilities to be on par with Ezio's he'd be more fun to use. & about the furry business Felicia ain't ugly & is a Darkstalkers favorite for me Next to Talbain,Bishamon, & Demitri

• 4 weeks later...

Overated Characters: Ken (SF) I don't care what anyone says, the only reason american fans like Ken more than Ryu is because he is American. And saying he is better than Ryu in Every way is stupid when you compare their moves and story Leon Kennedy (since RE4) Loved him in RE2, but in RE4 he is just so boring, stale and emotionless. Kratos: Boring Game, Boring Story and sick and tired of all the guest appearences in my favorite fighting games. Gulie: Only good for his theme. Underatted Characters: Voldo (SoulCalibur) Was a great character from Soul Blade to Soul Calibur 3, but hated how they made him a minor character and gave him the tudor/circus look in SC4 & SC5.

I agree with your Overrated characters part. except i consider Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, all the same thing. I have more fear towards fighting akuma though cause he always has 1 or 2 more supers than the other people. as for Under Rated, I HATE VOLDO. but for my under rated thing. would be Altaria from Pokemon. if trained properly he can be a deadly force. give or take his HP is not as high as some others his special attack power was always insanely high.

Overated Characters:

Ken (SF)

I don't care what anyone says, the only reason american fans like Ken more than Ryu is because he is American. And saying he is better than Ryu in Every way is stupid when you compare their moves and story

Ryu fights with Projectile Spamming more often than not. Projectiles are long ranged and can be difficult to counter for novice fighting game fans. Ken normally fights by spamming uppercuts, even when far away. Since they cover very little horizontal ground, they are ridiculously easy to counter. I have problems fighting Ryu, but I never have problem fighting Ken, unless I'm using a close-ranged fightinger like Zangief.

On another note, sometimes I wonder if Blanka can be considered underrated. I remember someone saying he has the most predictable moveset in the series, although I don't remember where. Truth is, that contradicts Blanka's style. He's designed to be UN-predictable. His strong rolls are so fast and have no start up time, which makes them hard to counter even for harder AI opponents. His Back-flip Arching roll, if used well, can be a pretty good counter. His shocking move is hard to use, because it requires precise timing. NO AI is dumb enough to just walk into a trap like that, even really easy AI, so you have to use it WHILE the opponent is attacking. All in all, he's probably the easiest character to beat Street Fighter with. I remember beating the arcade version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Default Difficulty) on a single quarter with Blanka.

So, yeah. Blanka's not unpredictable.

Overrated:

Sonic: Furry fans killed his franchise, Ripping off other games/animes!

Cloud: Kids just like him because hes got a big anime sword!

Jill Valentine: Capcom whores this char like crazy!

Chris Redfield: Same as above!

Naruto: Rips off One Piece in so many ways! Naturo's Stupid fox mode, copies Luffy's Gear Second!

Lucario: KAMEKAME HA!!! Wannabe nuff said!

Yukimura Sananda: Fake ass bullshit in Samurai Warriors 3, the whole I'm in love with Inahime thing! none of that is true!

Ness: No one knows Earthbound But hes cool cus he was in SSBB! Its a true fact here!

Marisa Kirisame: Too much witch is bad for ya!

Underrated:

Takamaru: Nazo No Murasamejou; brought Legend of zelda to existence! He was just like link but a samurai!

Nobunaga Oda: Coolest Darth Vader wannabe/samurai but people hate samurai!

Ninten: Earthbound 1 is the best but idiots only know Ness ans Lucas!

Marth: People only recognize him in SSBB not for the real reason he exists!

Adam: Body Harvest; Coolest! badass! space marine but people mistake him for Samus!

Mach Rider: Coolest bike rider alien killer guy but people mistake him for the excite bike rider!

Sora: The stories don't seem to focus on him, rather other people in Kingdom Hearts!

Himura Kenshin: Like I said before! people hates samurais!

Hong Mailing: Needs more rep! nuff said!

How do they whore Jill & Chris? As I recall Chris(5 & CV) & Jill(3 & the RE:Remake) were Playable in only 2 games from the series. [2.33 for Jill due to the Lost in Nightmares segment]

If any RE char is overrated its...........Wesker. Think about it,magically resurrected, unreal fighting skill, matrix like dodges. After RE5 events, I wouldnt be surprised if capcom brought him back in RE6

When KH first came out the main reason ppl I know bought it was because it had Disney chars

Marth wasnt in Brawl only Melee