DMC : Devil May Cry (2012)

Ryon

• 3 weeks later...

Guy's input on the game's demo on a website I frequent:

It looks alright in that the environments are nicely stylized, but even that is inferior to the original DMC series' grand gothic clean-cut environments.

Gameplay was dull. They tried too keep a few things in from the old ways, but managed to make them worse and too obnoxious, such as flashing weapons and long pauses for combo chains with pauses to alternate the moves.

The new weapon system is absolutely rubbish, as are the weapons themselves. They added a launch button which will help casuals, but it means that the style commands are completely gone, which is a complete waste.

No lock on isn't as terrible as I had imagined, but it does have a knock-on effect on the controls and gameplay. It makes gameplay less intricate and more casualised, while also meaning that touble tap (forward, forward y, for example) is more prominent, which is stupid in my opinions. Don't get me started on dialogue cut scenes and such, please. (horrible)

Basically, if it had been an original IP, it would have been an OK game but by using the DMC title they've put it besides a series of vastly superior games. Rent it, do not buy it, and hope they try a new formula, if not return to the old one.

With regards to Frame rate and enemy count, it becomes obvious to those experienced with the old games. it's slow, and there are never more than 5 enemies at once. It seems dull really.

The boss was pathetically easy. There were two attack animations and 2 projectiles. These could be avoided simply by jumping or changing platforms. The damage output of the player is insane, where as he takes very little damage. The whole demo was horribly easy, even after unlocking son of Sparda mode. It is reminiscent of unlocking easy on the old games. Even after fights you could simply attack a slug-type object on the wall and recover all your health from green orbs.

Enemy design is alright for the basic enemies, but the heavy/flying/chainsaw enemy design was poor, uninspired and were too easy to defeat. They signaled their attacks in painfully obvious ways, allowing as much as 3 seconds or more for you to press the designated 'dodge' button. Escaping enemies is also easy as you can grapple around, double jump and fly right from the start. Double jump had to be earned in the old games, and rightfully so.

Boss design was as bad as the normal enemy design, and the dialogue made me face/palm.

Dante's new design has improved since his original emo/druggy look, but is still lame and uninteresting, let down further by his character, facial animations and terrible one liners.

Somehow the old Dante's lines were cheesy but witty and just fun. the new Dante lacks any kind of soul or likability.

Well he looks like other old-fags fanboys of white-haired dante. Some people just cannot give the game a chance because it's not the old DMC anymore but something other, something new.

He gave the game an honest critical review addressing the mechanics and overall look and feel of it, and he said it was a good game, just not a good DMC game. And the only thing he really said about the new Dante design is it being really uninspired and personality-wise being generally unlikable.

Personally the no lock on bothered me at "certain" times. I actually like the weapons oddly enough but i dont see the need to have two evade buttons

I did like the ingame perspective changes,though buggy in the demo(among other bugs)

With regards to Frame rate and enemy count, it becomes obvious to those experienced with the old games. it's slow, and there are never more than 5 enemies at once. It seems dull really.

^This.

I already decided not to play this game because of the new Dante and the weak and not-so-cool looking Vergil.

Ahahaha.... So I got -1 for this huh? Figures. Sorry if I've offended you guys by my remark. It's not like I totally reject this game or anything. The game play and trailers look really awesome and all but.. It's just that I've been a fan of DMC since I'm twelve and I've played all the games so it's a lil' bit hard for me to accept the new appearance for Dante and Vergil.

Lol why give a damn about those +1 and -1 things? :D On topic - unfortunately I have my doubts about this game now too, judging by the demo. I'm ok with new designs, new dante and vergil look ok to me too. But gameplay has some flaws, which can be clearly seen in demo. I hope they'll fix it in the full version.

So I got to play the Demo and I can honestly say I'm am going to pick up this game. Gameplay - For me felt like an improved version of the DMC games already style like system, Combos are solid and going from the different weapons is smooth most of the time (if your not charging your moves). Graphics - Now I think because of the directions this game is moving for it's not as gothic as older DMC games, however I think it fit this game alot more then if it toke the gothic turn for the environment. Now lets talk about Dantes look, now when I first saw Dante he looked like an Skinny Druggy which made me sad the making have improved his look and he looks like he has more life and not a druggy lol. Dialogue - Now during the normal mission I had no problem with the dialogue, however I felt the dialogue during the boss fight was a bit too over the top with the F bombs and What one would do to the others body stuff like that. It just felt out of place for a dmc game and Dante saying F you to the boss like 5 times wasn't Dante like. I think thats all I have to say right now but I am going to pick up the game in time because I liked the gameplay so much. oh one last thing the Demo was too easy lol

So about the demo.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/30/ninja-theory-looking-at-dmc-devil-may-cry-demo-feedback/

So I heard the demo was based off an older build of the game, Is this true?

The demo is built at a time when work is still continuing on the main game, yes.

So the demo was an older build.

Hence why it had a bunch of bugs.

It was also considerably different from a recent demonstration of the same level in the full game from a stream by CapcomUnity.

Though the new look is a bit disappointing, I will say that this has become a must-buy for me. I was happy with the demo, a lot better than what I had imagined, though the dialogue and voice acting could use a little work.