[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Major's Mask

Ryon

When the Nintendo 64 came out, and major classics like Zelda and Mario were announced to appear on the system, fans were FLIPPING OUT about the chances of the games sucking in 3D. Turns out, The Zelda games that came out are actually 2 of the best titles of the Zelda series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8iup8U0E

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are basically two Zelda games focusing on the same version of Link who has two separate quests, one in each of the games. In OoT, Link is known in his home village as the boy without a fairy. He one night has a nightmare about Zelda being chased by someone. He is found and woken up by a fairy named Navi, who tells him he needs to save Zelda, who has been captured by the King of Thieves: Ganondorf.

The story and crap you have to deal with in OoT is pretty epic to say the least. From lifting a curse from a sacred tree to being able to morph into an Adult and Back! Like most Zelda games, you follow the basic Triforce quest: Go to the Five Temples and achieve a specific objective. In this game, it's to awaken the Sage of said temple, all the while collecting items, money, and equipment to help you proceed through the game.

Majora's Mask takes place a little after OoT, where Link is a kid once more [Zelda basically turned him back so he can actually experience his childhood firsthand], on a personal quest to "find a childhood friend" [Navi doesn't seem to be with him here....could it be her?] and then IS BLATANTLY ROBBED by a charactered called the Skull Kid, who wears a strange mask and is accompanied by two fairies: Tael and Tatl.

The Skull Kid then proceeds to take the ocarina and runs off; naturally, Link gives chase. It gets worse for Link when the Skull Kid basically changes him into a Deku Scrub. For those who don't know what that is, this is how Link looks as one

Posted Image

Yeah....

Anyway, his luck finally gets a slight break when one of the fairys, Tatl, gets left behind from the Skull Kid's dickery. She then decides to help Link get his Ocarina back to confront the Skull Kid on his behavior.

The game is a lot longer to finish then expected at first, because of all the plot explanation and things that need to be done before you can have you're little showdown with the Kid. This includes from finishing trivial mini-games to get new weapons or upgrades, to exploring temples to get the help of other species for new things, including the ability to BECOME said species.

You would think that this game would probably proceed over a long time period, but no; it's just three days. "Why three days," you ask? BECAUSE A HUGE ASS MOON WITH A FREAKY FACE IS GONNA KILL US ALL IF IT TAKES MORE THAN THREE DAYS, THAT'S WHY!

Posted Image

What, not enough time to get all the things you need to beat the Skull Kid? Don't worry! All you have to do then is to get the Ocarina back before then and play the Song of Time. That can't be hard, right.......right...?

Bottom Line: Prove that classic game from the 2d realm can be GREAT in 3D if done right

No real fan can put into words how much they enjoyed Ocarina of Time. In my opinion anyway, mostly because I can't. Simply saying it was a damn blast IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Majora's Mask on the other hand, is also fun in its own regard but not like Ocarina of Time. The biggest cock tease being that you could only use the Fierce Deity's Mask to fight in the end.

• 1 month later...

I actually liked Majora's Mask a little more than Ocarina of time, and for a few reasons. 1. I always found Ocarina a little too easy. (Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have no trouble beating the water temple.) Majora was a decent challenge. 2. Although Majora's Mask was not nearly as epic as Ocarina. But it's story was much more interesting. 3. The Moon. 4. Majora is the darkest Zelda game to date. It's creepyness and pure cataclysmic terror is near-perfect. I beleve the emotional terror it gives you, far succeeds Twilight Princess' creepyness. 5. THE NORMAL NPCS ACTUALLY HAVE BACKSTORIES!!! 6. The Final Boss is my favorite Zelda Boss battle. But don't get me wrong, I still love Ocarina.

Majora's Mask is not the creepiest Zelda game.That is awarded to Twilight Princess...Also...How come nobody can yet beat Majora's Mask...It is pretty rushed so I beat it in like 6 hours....Not 100% but I have done it...Though it took me 40 hours....No guide...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...