Touhou: Incident Zero - idea engineering thread (Finalized roster, Alpha build announcement)

RicePigeon

^ Pretty much what He said.

Btw gonna delve more information about Story Mode. As previously mentioned, Story Mode will be divided into 8 chapters. The first 6 chapters focus on a different protagonist (Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Reisen, & Sanae), which you will more or less be stuck with throughout the entire chapter. Chapters 1-6 can be chosen in any order, but all six must be cleared in order to unlock Chapter 7, and Chapter 8 will be unlocked once Chapter 7 is cleared. Chapter 7 will allow you to play as all 6 protagonists, with some fights allowing you to choose, while others force you to play as a certain character. Chapter 8, which consists of only the final boss, will allow you to select any of the six characters.

In addition, certain chapters will unlock new characters for versus and arcade modes:

Chapter 1: Reimu's Scenario (Unlocks Aya Shameimaru)

Chapter 2: Marisa's Scenario (Unlocks Shinki)
Chapter 3: Sakuya's Scenario

Chapter 4: Youmu's Scenario

Chapter 5: Reisen's Scenario

Chapter 6: Sanae's Scenario (Unlocks Rin Kaenbyou)

Chapter 7: The Culprit Revealed? (Requires Chapters 1-6 cleared, unlocks Yukari Yakumo)
Chapter 8: Incident Zero (Requires Chapter 7 cleared)

Btw, after looking at Sekibanki, I found a compromise, and I guess Alice won't need to be cut after all.

I won't give away too much, since it'll spoil the story, but I can provide some insight:

"It is common belief in Japan that, over time, anything can become a youkai, ranging from ordinary objects, animals, and even humans, as youkai are typically born from humanity's fears. Although youkai are born from humanity's fears every second, most immediately die due to being unable to attain physical form. It is in Gensokyo that youkai are able to attain physical form and, thus, existence. More recently, however, the urban legend incident, which has persisted even long after the events of Urban Legend in Limbo, has shown urban legends of the outside world taking form in Gensokyo through a similar process. There is one urban legend, however, that was quite popular prior to the turn of the century in the outside world. Although this urban legend was ultimately dismissed as a hoax and forgotten, there was a time when this urban legend gripped the entire outside world in fear. That same fear birthed a youkai unlike any that Gensokyo has seen before: a youkai that nearly conquered the entire outside world in a little less than a year, yet does not need physical form to exist..."

9 minutes ago, Ricepigeon said:

I won't give away too much, since it'll spoil the story, but I can provide some insight:

"It is common belief in Japan that, over time, anything can become a youkai, ranging from ordinary objects, animals, and even humans, as youkai are typically born from humanity's fears. Although youkai are born from humanity's fears every second, most immediately die due to being unable to attain physical form. It is in Gensokyo that youkai are able to attain physical form and, thus, existence. More recently, however, the urban legend incident, which has persisted even long after the events of Urban Legend in Limbo, has shown urban legends of the outside world taking form in Gensokyo through a similar process. There is one urban legend, however, that was quite popular prior to the turn of the century in the outside world. Although this urban legend was ultimately dismissed as a hoax and forgotten, there was a time when this urban legend gripped the entire outside world in fear. That same fear birthed a youkai unlike any that Gensokyo has seen before; a youkai which does not need physical form to exist, and nearly conquered the entire outside world..."

I'm getting hyped.

I'm toying with the idea of, rather than having the 8 chapters as originally planned, that the chapters branch out. This way, the entire roster pretty much gets their own chapter in Story Mode:

Reimu's Scenario -> Aya's Scenario -> Medicine's Scenario -> Yuuka's Scenario
Marisa's Scenario -> Alice's Scenario -> Shinki's Scenario

Sakuya's Scenario -> N/A

Youmu's Scenario -> Rin's Scenario -> Iku's Scenario

Reisen's Scenario -> N/A

Sanae's Scenario -> Byakuren's Scenario -> Mamizou's Scenario -> Kokoro's Scenario

All Scenarios complete -> The Culprit Revealed? -> Final Chapter: Incident Zero

46 minutes ago, Ricepigeon said:

I'm toying with the idea of, rather than having the 8 chapters as originally planned, that the chapters branch out. This way, the entire roster pretty much gets their own chapter in Story Mode:

Reimu's Scenario -> Aya's Scenario -> Medicine's Scenario -> Yuuka's Scenario
Marisa's Scenario -> Alice's Scenario -> Shinki's Scenario

Sakuya's Scenario -> N/A

Youmu's Scenario -> Rin's Scenario -> Iku's Scenario

Reisen's Scenario -> N/A

Sanae's Scenario -> Byakuren's Scenario -> Mamizou's Scenario -> Kokoro's Scenario

All Scenarios complete -> The Culprit Revealed? -> Final Chapter: Incident Zero

Sounds like a good idea but can I make a suggestion

How about adding a chapter to both Sakuya and Reisen to incentivize doing their chapters first as they are one of the original 8 chapters available and spread the unlockable chapters around. Also a minor suggestion: how about having the original eight chapter character being the only ones unlocked and having the other characters being unlocked along with their chapters in story mode.

You don't have to do this, just my suggestion :)

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ricepigeon said:

So aside from the two obvious ones in Reimu and Marisa, which of the cast would everyone like to see first in an alpha build of this game?

Sakuya plz.

• 5 months later...

So after some consideration, the roster is finalized as follows:

Character Game Representation
Reimu Hakurei Higly Responsive to Prayers
Marisa Kirisame Story of Eastern Wonderland
Yuuka Kazami Lotus Land Story
Alice Margatroid
Shinki
Mystic Square
Hong Meiling
Sakuya Izayoi
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Youmu Konpaku
Yukari Yakumo
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Reisen Udongein Inaba Imperishable Night
Aya Shameimaru Phantasmagoria of Flower View / Shoot the Bullet
Momiji Inubashiri
Sanae Kochiya
Mountain of Faith
Iku Nagae Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
Satori Komeiji Subterranean Animism
Byakuren Hijiri Undefined Fantastic Object
Mamizou Futatsuiwa Ten Desires
Hata no Kokoro Hopeless Masquerade
Sekibanki Double Dealing Character
Kasen Ibaraki Wild and Horned Hermit / Urban Legend in Limbo
Nameless Original / Touhou: Incident Zero

An alpha build should be available some time early 2018 consisting of the following characters (characters denoted with an asterisk indicate characters with noticeable gameplay changes compared to GR):

Reimu

Marisa

Meiling*

Sakuya
Reisen*

• 5 months later...

So its been almost 6 months since the last post here and there's a been a number of changes to the gameplay system, especially now that we have an actual playable demo of the system in the form of IZ Yukari, which was released last month. I suggest taking a look there for the most up to date changes to the system compared to what's listed here.

I kinda of want to steer the direction of this toward the next three characters planned for this system: Marisa, Sakuya, and Reimu. While these three won't receive that many drastic changes as Yukari did (it was mostly a last-minute decision due to her being included in 15.5, which was released in December), I do feel that I should go over some of the changes they'll be receiving, as well as any ideas anyone else has in mind.