Touhou: Incident Zero - idea engineering thread (Finalized roster, Alpha build announcement)

RicePigeon

• 4 weeks later...

.eJwFwcEOwiAMANB_4S5FWofsC_RqdvJGGDKSbV1eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFneyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFn.eJwFwcEOwiAMANB_4S51tAHZF7h49eSNMGTEzS6

Confirming Reisen, Aya, Rin, & Kokoro, bringing the initial roster size up to 11.

Also something I wanted to go over in more detail: each character's Unique Skill. Those of you who played Street Fighter 5 or Blazblue might be familiar with those games' V-Skills and Drives, respectively. The Unique Skills are basically those; unique skills for each character.

Character Unique Skill Description
Reimu Hakurei Diffusion Barrier Pressing Button-a causes Reimu to create a barrier projectile that remains stationary immediately in front of her. If a Hakurei Amulet passes through this barrier, the amulet will split in two, with each one gaining slight homing properties.
Marisa Kirisame Mini-Hakkero Enhancement Marisa can substitute any Button-xyz button in her Specials with Button-a to perform an EX variant of her Special move. EX Specials cost 500 Power, and gain a Power cost reduction during Shinto's Spellcard Declare Mode. Additionally, Button-a may be substituted for Button-xyz in the command for "Master Spark" in order to perform the more powerful "Dark Spark", at the cost of an additional 1000 Power.
Yuuka Kazami Tangling Rosebush Holding Button-a grants Yuuka limited super armor. Yuuka can still move with Button-B and Button-F while Button-a is held, but her walking speed is drastically reduced. Releasing Button-a will cause Yuuka to perform an attack.
Sakuya Izayoi Sakuya's Special Stopwatch Holding Button-a charges up Sakuya's stopwatch. Sakuya is completely immobile while charging the stopwatch, and being hit or releasing Button-a before the gauge is full will cause the gauge to reduce to 0 with no other effects. Once the stopwatch gauge is full, time will stop for about 2 seconds. Sakuya can move around while time is frozen, and is fully invincible, but is unable to attack.
Reisen U. Inaba Optica Spectral Holding Button-a will cause the player to control an illusionary clone of Reisen. The clone can freely move around and is completely invulnerable, but cannot attack. The real Reisen, meanwhile, remains invisible and stationary in the same position where Reisen initially was when the clone was spawned, but is completely vulnerable to attack. Releasing Button-a, performing an attack, or getting hit by an opponent's attack will dispel the clone and reveal the real Reisen's position.
Medicine Melancholy Melancholic Cyanide Pressing Button-a while Medicine's Poison gauge is full will surround Medicine with a cloud of toxic gas that slowly drains her Poison gauge and vanishes once the gauge is empty. This gauge slowly refills during the course of the match. Any opponent that comes into close range with Medicine while Melancholic Cyanide is active will receive passive damage.
Aya Shameimaru Bunbunmaru Photoshoot Aya has a camera gauge that begins the match at 50% and regenerate over time. If Aya's camera gauge is at 100%, pressing and holding Button-a will cause Aya to strike a pose as crosshairs appear in front of her. The position of the crosshairs can be moved in any direction. Releasing Button-a will cause Aya to shoot a photograph, draining her camera gauge to 0 but erases any projectiles that are inside the crosshairs at the time Button-a was released. Erasing projectiles in this way will cause Aya to accumulate Power and a small amount of her camera gauge, depending on how many projectiles were in the photograph. Attempting to shoot a photograph of the opponent will place them in a dizzy state, but causes no damage.
Sanae Kochiya Wind Summon Pressing 8way Button-a allows Sanae to summon a wind current in the specified direction, which depletes from her Wind gauge; this can be done at any time Sanae is not in hitstun, blockstun, or a knockdown. The direction of the summoned wind will affect Sanae's horizontal movement, as well as the trajectory of some of Sanae's attacks.
Rin Kaenbyou Corpse Cat Cart As long as at least one player is Rin, a cadaver will appear on the stage in a random location every 15 seconds, up to a maximum of 3. Pressing Button-a while standing over a cadaver will cause Rin to pick it up, and can hold a maximum of 3. Each cadaver Rin possesses will provide her with various buffs, but will drop a cadaver each time she is knocked down:
  • 1 cadaver: the damage on Rin's Specials increase by 10%.
  • 2 cadavers: all damage taken by non-throw attacks is decreased by 25%
  • 3 cadavers: Power gain on all attacks is doubled + the above two buffs
Byakuren Hijiri Skill Declare Holding Button-a will allow Byakuren to charge light orbs, up to a maximum of 5. Substituting Button-xyz with Button-a in any of Byakuren's Specials motions will cause Byakuren to perform an EX variant of that Special move, at the cost of 1 light orb. In the case of Hanuman's Dance, Byakuren will be able to deal up to 5 hits instead of the usual 3. "Master of Buddhist Cosmology" also gains an Button-a version that consumes all orbs on use, which proportionally increases its damage.
Hata no Kokoro Masks of Emotion Pressing Button-a allows Kokoro to cycle between Shinto, Buddhism, and Taoism. Spirit meter is retained between alignment changes, but any bombs exceeding her new alignment's maximum capacity will be discarded. Additionally, Kokoro cannot change alignments if she is still under the effects of Shinto's Spellcard Declare Mode or Taoism's Tao Focus.

Confirming Youmu as part of the initial roster

Youmu Konpaku Insightful Sword Pressing Button-a causes Youmu to take a stance with her sword. If timed right, Youmu will parry the incoming attack, causing her to build both Power, Spirit, and her own Focus meter, as well as recovering almost instantly, allowing her to punish an incoming attack. However, Youmu cannot parry throws, nor can be parry in the air.

Other changes to Youmu:

• Spirit mechanic now known as the Focus mechanic, to avoid confusion with the game's new Spirit Meter mechanic
  • Insightful Sword: is now Youmu's Unique Skill. Now functions as a Parry instead of a Counter.
  • Slash of Life and Death: Command changed to QCB Button-xyz
  • New Special: Lotus Stance Cut ( QCF Button-xyz Proj )
  • New Spellcard: "Matsuyoi-Reflecting Satellite Slash" ( QCF QCF Button-b, Shinto Last Word)
  • Removed Specials: Netherworld Reflection Slash
  • Removed Spellcards: "Secret of Life and Death"

59 minutes ago, Ricepigeon said:

@OxyontheWolf Even if it is April Fools today, thats still not a valid reason to hexadecaple (16!?!?) post

To answer your question, IaMP wasn't really Meiling's own spinoff game, nor was Soku Alice's spinoff. If Alice does get in, it'll be as a rep of Mystic Square, if anything.

okay, guess karate waifu is not getting in

After giving it some thought I have to say that I'm not too fond of Kokoro's V-Skill unique skill be to change grooves religion on the fly like that. One of the reasons the player picks a particular groove is to compliment their playstyle. On paper, it sounds like the ability is used to switch up your style depending on the situation, but realistically I don't think you will want to switch grooves, unless you feel a particular special move or system trait is really worth it in which case, why not choose that groove in the first place.

A suggestion I would make is instead of switching grooves, the U-Skill instead behaves something akin to Shulk's Monado arts in Smash 4 where her mask determines what Benefits/Penalties she will get. Ex. More attack power, but take more damage. Another could reduce damage taken and give some armor but reduce mobility and so on.

The idea was more or less to give Kokoro something akin to an EX Groove, but with the drawbacks of having limited access to one set of skills at a time along with reduced health to compensate for this (she'd basically have access to Roman Cancels, Alpha Counters, and Bursts all at the same time, which no other character can do). Your suggestion, however, seems more in-line with how the religion system worked in Hopeless Masquerade (essentially buffing/nerfing certain attacks) so I won't rule out that possibility.

EDIT: turns out she has exactly 6 specials in source, each one aligned to one of the three religions in HM. Maybe a damage buff to those specials when shes in a particular alignment?

Alright so decided to revise Kokoro's US a bit based on Darkflare's suggestion and input from others:

Unlike other characters, Kokoro cannot choose a religious alignment and instead begins every match in her exclusive Neutral alignment. Pressing Button-a allows Kokoro to cycle between three different masks of Sadness (Shinto), Anger (Buddhism), and Joy (Taoism); pressing QCB Button-a will cause Kokoro to don the chosen mask, which grants her the mask's associated religious alignment for 16 seconds. Once time runs out, Kokoro returns to Neutral alignment and the mask cannot be activated again for 10 seconds. Each religious alignment will also buff the damage of some of Kokoro's Special moves, which is dependent on the alignment she is currently under. Kokoro can also switch to another mask while already in a religious alignment, but causes her previous mask to enter cooldown. Kokoro cannot change alignments if she is still under the effects of Shinto's Spellcard Declare Mode or Taoism's Tao Focus.

5 hours ago, Ricepigeon said:

@Element Hedgehog Both are already looking to be very strong possibilities at this point (I originally wanted a Taoism rep like Miko or Futo but that's probably not gonna happen), but then we have the issue of Mamizou's USkill, of which I still have no ideas.

How about cloning like she did in one of her Spellcards? (She isn't known for cloning, but that could work.)

That could work, I suppose, but it would feel more like a situational gimmick in that case.

In other words, since we won't be getting any Taoism reps into the game, it doesn't make much sense to keep the religious affiliations intact. Thus, the following changes were made:

• Shinto is now known as Type-A
  • Buddism is now known as Type-B
  • Taoism is now known as Type-C, Tao Focus has been renamed to Speed Focus
  • Alice confirmed as part of the initial roster.
Alice Margatroid Doll Set Pressing Button-a sets a doll in front of Alice, while 8way Button-a sets a doll in a position relative to Alice depending on the directional input. These dolls stay on screen and can be activated with certain special moves. Alice can have up to 3 dolls on screen at any time.

Other changes to Alice will been made that focus more on her Uskill:

• Doll Activation: Command changed to QCF Button-a
  • Maximum number of set dolls increased from 2->3.
  • Curse Sign "Shanghai Doll" gains a Button-a version that activates all set dolls.
  • New Specials: Seeker Wire; creates a projectile that follows the path of all dolls placed on screen, in order of first to last.
  • New Last Words: "The Grimoire of Alice" (Last Word Type-A), "Phantom of the Grand Guignol" (Last Word Type-B)
  • Removed Last Words: Testing "Goliath Doll MkII", "Lemmings Parade"

1 hour ago, Ricepigeon said:

That could work, I suppose, but it would feel more like a situational gimmick in that case.

In other words, since we won't be getting any Taoism reps into the game, it doesn't make much sense to keep the religious affiliations intact. Thus, the following changes were made:

• Shinto is now known as Type-A
  • Buddism is now known as Type-B
  • Taoism is now known as Type-C, Tao Focus has been renamed to Speed Focus
  • Alice confirmed as part of the initial roster.
Alice Margatroid Doll Set Pressing Button-a sets a doll in front of Alice, while 8way Button-a sets a doll in a position relative to Alice depending on the directional input. These dolls stay on screen and can be activated with certain special moves. Alice can have up to 3 dolls on screen at any time.

Other changes to Alice will been made that focus more on her Uskill:

• Doll Activation: Command changed to QCF Button-a
  • Maximum number of set dolls increased from 2->3.
  • Curse Sign "Shanghai Doll" gains a Button-a version that activates all set dolls.
  • New Specials: Seeker Wire; creates a projectile that follows the path of all dolls placed on screen, in order of first to last.
  • New Last Words: "The Grimoire of Alice" (Last Word Type-A), "Phantom of the Grand Guignol" (Last Word Type-B)
  • Removed Last Words: Testing "Goliath Doll MkII", "Lemmings Parade"

will all these characters be compatible with your other ones? because I would love that

13 hours ago, Ricepigeon said:

@Element Hedgehog Both are already looking to be very strong possibilities at this point (I originally wanted a Taoism rep like Miko or Futo but that's probably not gonna happen), but then we have the issue of Mamizou's USkill, of which I still have no ideas.

That's too bad because if I could code a character, then I'd totally make a Taoist character for you.

Btw, my suggestion for Mamizou would be the ability to transform her opponents, attacks, and herself for surprise attacks and for short term paralysis. 

^ this

also

22 hours ago, OxyontheWolf said:

will all these characters be compatible with your other ones? because I would love that

Compatible as in "Will I be able to export them to regular Mugen?" This is a bit tricky; unlike Gensokyo Reloaded, where the characters were originally made to be standalone and then later adapted and modified to fit a fullgame environment, Incident Zero's development is using the reverse process: make the characters specifically for a closed environment. While I can promise that the game won't be moleboxed, the characters probably won't be released as standalone for quite some time, and if anyone attempts to extract the characters from the game before an "official" release, I can't guarantee that the characters will work properly without some heavy modifications.

I may end up doing one or two standalone releases as a demo of sorts, just so people can get a feel for the new mechanics, but more than likely it'll just be a beta build of the game with a very limited roster.