Private Mucho creates his first character

Private Mucho

Private Mucho creates his first character

Private_Mucho

Private Mucho is here. I think you already seen my avatar? and the pic above. That is, the character I am going to introduce is myself. But I won't be creating this wip thread if I wouldn't require a little assistance. So, here is first issue.

MuchoProblem

As you can see here, black is automatically chosen as transparent color instead of usual pink or dark green. So I want to learn how to color separate. Making pink transparent instead of black will be my priority, and only after this priority done may I continue my work on this character.

Mucho's here. I have decided to try GIMP 2.8. I tried to find out how to index colors as I like. I found the Indexed option... and it's rather confusing.

Spoiler

GIMP_indexed

GIMP_indexed_2

Alternatively, I got Paint.NET. Needless to say, this is the program I used to make my sprites. Can it also serve as color indexer, and in which way?

• 2 months later...

There was ~3 months since first few reports of progress, and now it's time for a new one.

Do you remember how I said back then, that there was an issue with my sprites in the form of black color always being chosen as background color?

Well, after several failed experiments, I finally realized that there is one trick I could use!

All I was needed is Paint.NET and Fighter Factory 32, inherited from a man brought Saikyo-Ryuu to this world!

Spoiler

(And who actually tried to create a character of his own, but after several issues, that exercise lost it's charm, so he left it in favor of what he liked to do more: Teaching others the arts of Saikyo-Ryuu! That's according to my data acquired.)

So what exactly I did? In Paint.NET, I changed outline color to not being black, while filling background color with black. In Fighter Factory 32, I recolored outline color back to black, while to actually see the outline, I changed background color.

G6KkgTm.png

The results were remarkable! Now things can actually go forward with the use of this little trick! Below is how it actually looks in M.U.G.E.N engine.

UOpeoWh.png

Now to make more sprites(guard and hitstates are next), and to fix Y-axis. Since so many time has passed, I wonder if I still got it.

• 1 year later...

Ten-hut, soldiers! I am back in action after a whole year!

I have just finished with the basic actions, and also finished half of the moveset. I mean, standing, crouching, aerial attacks, target combos and throws. Not all of them look good, but then again, I'm just a Private, first time recruitee. Speaking of throws, let's see them in action:

flozo8D.gif

Hmmmmmm... Looks like I got good throwing hands. Also, while I didn't use a character with a proper face-down animation, the forward throw does faceplant the opponent.  I think of it as a personal achievement.

Now it's time to work on my special moves. This will be a short work, I think.