Sprite Comic Book Covers

NightDevil123

Sprite Comic Book Covers

Hey all,

I'm a longtime comic book fan, and all the DC and Marvel characters available for MUGEN have inspired me to come up with sprite comic book covers, just for the fun of it.  Unfortunately, I don't have the talent for making my own sprites (although I have done some practice with making my own palettes), but a lot of folks have so far been okay with my using their work, which I very much appreciate.

These were my first, more of an audition than anything else:

Robin%2017.png

Incredible%20Hulk%20347.png

Then I started getting a bit more ambitious.

Captain%20America%20261.png

Green%20Lantern%20128.png

Flash%20152_1.png

Daredevil%20514.png (I may want to redo this one now that we have a better Daredevil)

Superman%20438.png

These next few were a chance to play with palette swaps to expand the number of supervillains I had available for heroes to take on, even though they're pretty obvious swaps.

Iron%20Man%20251.png

Here's another Flash cover - I've done a Barry Allen cover, and technically a cover from Jay Garrick's Golden Age series, even if I featured Hawkman instead.  Now it's Wally West's turn!  (Also, I couldn't resist making Multiple Man into a "modern" Mirror Master.)

Flash%20Vol.%203%20119.png

This isn't one of my better ones, but I was experimenting with trying to make the covers look a bit more dynamic.

Thor%20238_1.gif

I finally decided it was time for an X-Men cover!  Unfortunately, it looks like they're fighting each other instead of getting ready to face off the villain, but that's the limit of working with sprites.

Uncanny%20X-Men%20375.png

Once again, I'm going back to the Golden Age for these next two!  First up, one of my favorite Golden Age characters: Captain Marvel!

Captain%20Marvel%20Adventures%20142_1.pn

Next up, another Batman cover!  I tried actually getting The Joker into this one, but I think it works better without him.

Batman%2015.png

I'd been wanting to do a Spawn cover for a while, and here it is!  Not entirely happy with how it came out, though.

Spawn%209.png

This one was a lot of fun to do, especially trying to go for Stan Lee-style cover blurbs from the Silver Age!  Another of my favorites.

Fantastic%20Four%2060.png

Just because I'm a fan of the characters:

Ghost%20Rider%2057.jpg

Black%20Panther%2028.png

I was testing out big action scenes, and while it came out okay, I'm not entirely happy with it (and I think I used the wrong character for a Blackfire palette swap - Scarlet Witch might have worked better.)

New%20Teen%20Titans%2034.png

I mostly did this one to show of some palettes I came up with of Iron Patriot as the Crimson Dynamo and Jason Todd as Batroc.  (I couldn't actually get the mustache into the palette - I just drew them onto the sprite.

Tales%20of%20Suspense%2063.png

Goresickness requested a Captain Marvel vs. Black Adam cover for one of his projects, and I'm posting both versions I came up with here.  The first is a Golden Age style cover, while the second is based on Cap's Power of Shazam series from the 1990s.  (I thought about adding text to the second one, but I think it works better without it.)

Whiz%20Comics%2090.png

Power%20of%20Shazam%2034.png

More villain palette swapping:

Action%20Comics%20431.png

Amazing%20Spider-Man%2082.png

After a LONG hiatus, I finally got back into the game, putting more care into accurately mimicking the cover styles of certain comic eras, as well as choosing sprites, backgrounds, and layouts more effectively.

Doctor%20Strange%2042.png

Justice%20League%20of%20America%20173_1.

Green%20Arrow%208.png

Taking a trip back to the Golden Age and riding the recent Solomon Grundy gravy train!

All-American%20Comics%2073.png

As much as I really hate redoing old covers, feeling like I'm covering up past mistakes, this is one I really wanted to redo -the very first sprite cover I ever made and posted.  (See the top of the thread for the original.)

Robin%2019.png

Last for now, here's one of my favorite DC heroes getting his own cover at last!

Hawkman%209.png

I recently got onto an X-Men kick somehow, and these were the results:

Uncanny%20X-Men%2022_1.png

Uncanny%20X-Men%20284.png

X-Men%2016.png

A bit anti-climactic after those three, but as a huge Golden Age fan, I'd been wanting to do this one since forever.  Also, it gave me some...practice for things to come...

Flash%20Comics%2038.png

This was a thank you to Spector for making a Captain Nazi palette for Superman Beyond (and another chance to work with a favorite character of mine, as well as some techniques to "age" the cover a bit)

Whiz%20Comics%2029_1.png

More to come!

Here's one hero long overdue some respect (and I finally found a use of this background!)

I'd love to have an original costume Aquaman to play with (I know of two different in-progress versions out there...), but in the meantime, this was fun to do.

Aquaman%2026.jpg

And at long last, I finally figured out how to get this cover right!  (I think this is the only one that doesn't show a member of the title hero's rogues gallery, not including the Crow cover.)

Punisher%2041.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...