The future of MFFA CotM (and why it might be discontinued)

RicePigeon

MFFA CotM  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, Sir Ghostler said:

Along side the issues already pointed out with COTM, another one is self-nominations. I don't think anyone should have the privilege to do this as it is unfair for the other participants. If self-nomination isn't prohibited, it needs to be limited somehow. Being able to self-nominate 4 creations every single month is downright outrageous, especially when it can lead to the person in question's creations becoming 50% of the voting candidates. Yes, this has happened before. If the option to self-nomination really has to stay, only one per month should be allowed, at the very most. Otherwise, remove it entirely.

Just my two cents.

Abolishing self-nominations entirely feels a bit too restrictive if you ask me, and would only further limit the number of nominations and, as a result, the number of candidates. If something really wasn't worth CotM it would most likely never get past the nomination phase anyway.

That being said, I do like the idea of limiting self-nominations to only one per person. Although because this month's CotM has already started, I'm all in favor of experimenting with this restriction in next month's CotM, just to see how it goes.

16 hours ago, AxSeeker said:

Another problem that just came to me is that some creators in the past have made extra phoney accounts to up-vote their own characters in the past. I remember someone mentioning this on another forum a few years ago. Apparently all voting users had the same I.P. address :P

Now with proxy servers this kind of thing will be impossible to detect.

LOL

Even mugen voting can't be totally legit nowadays XD Just like real voting :P

Though we can still hope everyone is playing fair but no one will know for sure.

Most of people who participate in MFFA's CotM are forum regulars. If any of them were sockpuppet accounts, we would have found out by now. Luckily this hasn't happened yet over here.

...I think would be better create a thread like "Recommended creations of the month"...because I knew some creations in those COTM were not enough good...well I don't think I am good neither..but at least a playable char I say...and to prevent more "same old shit" things..like..mugen do not need another ryus, more Ioris..bla blah...except if they are not created before..like there is no Iori 96 or 97 then that would be a good release...is my suggestion...

beforehand, sorry if i missunderstood something, also, im literally new in this comunity.

from my point of view, the CotM contest, should be modified if the current rules are no longer working, after i readed most of the replies that point out many issues like clone accounts, low voting count, self-nominations... the answer could be that:

1- As someone said before, limit the self-nominations to 1 character per creator, also, this character, should be reviewed only among the staff of MFFA, with the normal participation from other users

2- (i want to clear that im not blaming anyone, this is just an argument) The low voting count, must be a problem with the comunity in general, ussualy when i log-in, i see active participations from few users, usually, from members of the staff, or regular contributors, some others are limited to give feedback or participating in another kind of topics, MAYBE, other creators feel bad for their creations or have adverse thoughts towards other people in a place like a nomination thread or such, and MAYBE, a solution is to encourage the whole comunity to put more effort in their creations.

3- The reputation of many members (this is just an opinion) could be also a cause for the same problem, when i first joined this place, i felt overwhelmed by the amount of reputation of some people (and still), thats why i say it, probaly this could lead to a low confidence in releasing their works, or juts feel intimidated, again, encourage people in being better and have a more active profile

also, many of us, by now must be aware that some people that joins this comunity, have the knowledge to create something, other people (like me) doesnt knows absolutely nothing and we join because we like what you guys do, and we're like just lurking, again, finding a way to unite the comunity as people who likes MUGEN could be everything.

btw, also the low participation of the comunity, must be because the little to no knowledge of the game itself, this maybe makes the global mugen comunity low

Wow. thanks for your input Anth0ny! Its unusual for someone to post such a meaningful post for their first post.

We would require a proper set of judges for this contest to stay up don't you agree Rice? Also... dude do you remember when I made the Stage Contest? that was REALLY fun.

People came up with some really creative stages.

22 minutes ago, Ryon said:

We would require a proper set of judges for this contest to stay up don't you agree Rice? Also... dude do you remember when I made the Stage Contest? that was REALLY fun.

I dont think I was around/paid much attention to it. Mind brushing me up on the details?

19 hours ago, Ryon said:

Wow. thanks for your input Anth0ny! Its unusual for someone to post such a meaningful post for their first post.

hehe thank you :D

On 6/14/2016 at 9:06 PM, Ricepigeon said:

I dont think I was around/paid much attention to it. Mind brushing me up on the details?

Stage contest was fun, I would supply 3 Images (usually scenic wallpapers) and the contestants would have to make REALLY good stages using them, and whatever method they could use. The results are amazing. Some people would use it in the most basic of ways (such as adding a bridge) others would literally cover it up by other objects so its merely like a sky or something. The grading process was strictly based how each stage represents the image, and what the creator was trying to convey. Skill didn't matter, as long as the results looked amazing.

The Palette Contest was also fun, I would pick 5 ~ 10 random characters, (check there sff's) and give a outline of how to palette them, whoever did it the best would win. This is a test of skill and mastery of colors. beginners tend to be very bright and vibrant, while old dogs were using more natural looking colors, and even took it a bit further with a odd blend of natural and pastel colors. It was very fun. We invented about 20 ACTUAL Palettes using the contest. Sadly it was lost but every once in a while it pops up again. One of my favorites for it was the comic book palette. White and Black but with enough detail left to actually know whats going on. OH also based on quality of each entry (contestants could enter all 5 or just 1) they would get anywhere from 1 ~ 5 points.

@Ricepigeon The time is coming up where I must leave MFFA. So I can't be a judge, You gotta find other people.