My opinion on the new 'censorship' system being enforced

Sir Ghostler

Just now, ゴーストキラー said:

To everyone who has been around the forum recently and frequently, they already know who exactly was the reason this system was implemented. However, censoring every single user's status updates just because of that sole person making egotistical comments is outrageous.

Have you tried PMing the person and telling them to calm it down?

16 minutes ago, Ryon said:

I for one am opposed to the idea of censorship.

If I can't say honk you to someone within my own domain, I am offended.

It was not my idea, but I really don't mind overturning it.

I'm glad you agree. I have an idea who would have done this, but I won't name names. It would be very good if you could overturn it.

3 minutes ago, Mʀ. Stᴇal-Yoᴜʀ-Waifᴜ said:

Have you tried PMing the person and telling them to calm it down?

The person in question had already been warned and banned several times to stop by the mods.

Just now, ゴーストキラー said:

I'm glad you agree. I have an idea who would have done this, but I won't name names. It would be very good if you could overturn it.

The person in question had already been warned and banned several times to stop by the mods.

Well, in that case, if you are going to just roll up and do whatever the hell you want to do regardless, no matter the warning or advice, then you got to go. We dont need this censorship, just get rid of this guy for good? He obviously doesnt know how to act

Obviously I'm new (well, not really, but sorta... new account anyways)

But I've been around long enough to know that there is one thing this site doesn't need and that would be censorship. Like yeah, I get the reason behind it, but come on, isn't there a way to just eliminate the one problem rather than create a bigger one for everyone to deal with?

But hey, rules are rules, I'm not here to say you should or should not remove it... but I'd prefer to be able to say F U without being "honked" at.

13 minutes ago, Lucasmic said:

I heard from someone that the "Honking" thing in particular was an April Fools joke that has not been changed back yet.

Well in that case, the question "why hasn't this been changed back yet then?" is asked.

Alright, time to clear the air of this. This was a joke that we were going to run for a few days to see said user's posts and statuses ruined. The censoring of "fuck" was my idea for April Fools. The other censors were put in place for other reasons... but honestly, no one should be saying "nigger" (it's one of the things that was censored). All of the other censors are gone now except adfly urls. I apologize for any inconvenience that might have caused. Carry on everyone.

Edit:

Also, to answer any questions or concerns for banning - we only ban if the conditions are met. We try not to ban unfairly or at all. The case isn't serious enough for a ban that breaks the condition(s) in place.

I can't help but feel I was at fault for this again.

I'm the one who originally advocated for the "Im Awesome" censor after Alexei told me it was possible. After testing it out we had a good laugh, but I was under the assumption it would be removed soon after and replaced with the adfly censor. While the latter did occur, the former did not. I went along with it after we agreed to utilize additional "silly" censors for April Fools (for instance, "nigger" was censored to "homie" and "faggot" was censored to "mi amigo"), and was under the impression it would be removed the day after. I wasn't aware that they were still in place.

I know it's not really my fault per se, but I can't help but feel responsible in some way.

13 hours ago, Алексей said:

Alright, time to clear the air of this. This was a joke that we were going to run for a few days to see said user's posts and statuses ruined. The censoring of "fuck" was my idea for April Fools. The other censors were put in place for other reasons... but honestly, no one should be saying "nigger" (it's one of the things that was censored). All of the other censors are gone now except adfly urls. I apologize for any inconvenience that might have caused. Carry on everyone.

Edit:

Also, to answer any questions or concerns for banning - we only ban if the conditions are met. We try not to ban unfairly or at all. The case isn't serious enough for a ban that breaks the condition(s) in place.

Ahhhh, ok. Well that explains it, lol. Though I didn't suspect you would be behind it. Thanks for clearing this all up and fixing the censors.

1 minute ago, ゴーストキラー said:

Ahhhh, ok. Well that explains it, lol. Though I didn't suspect you would be behind it. Thanks for clearing this all up and fixing the censors.

Well it was a group effort, but I forgot to take them off after the 1st was done. No problem. Sorry again for the frustration it caused. My personal views on censorship is that there should be none for the record. You say what you want and the consequences will soon follow. :P

Actually, "honk" comes from the The Lonely Island song of a similar title. It's hilarious to say the least.

2 hours ago, Ricepigeon said:

On the topic of censors, I should probably point out that the adfly censors aren't 100% perfect and there are still some ways around it. Not much we can do at the time being.

Correct. At the very least it's a jab towards those who do think they can post such links without consequence.