Microsoft Windows 10 now an automatic update to 7 & 8.1

RicePigeon

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/222326-look-out-microsoft-shifts-windows-10-to-recommended-update-automatic-download

Microsoft has been increasingly aggressive in its attempts to push consumers to download Windows 10. Starting today, the company is upping the ante once again. As of now, Windows 10 is now classified as a “Recommended” update, which means many Windows 7 and 8.1 users will download and begin the installation automatically.

By default, Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 shipped with updates enabled and a second box — “Give me Recommended updates the same way I receive important updates” checked as well. Plenty of users have changed these settings, but you can bet millions of people haven’t.

“As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10. We updated the upgrade experience today to help our customers, who previously reserved their upgrade, schedule a time for their upgrade to take place,” a company spokesperson told ZDNet.

There are several issues to be aware of here. First, users on metered connections must either turn off recommended updates or disable automatic updates altogether if you don’t want the 6GB download to count against your monthly limit. Simply deleting the file isn’t sufficient, your OS will download it again. Microsoft doesn’t recommend disabling automatic update, but the company has no solution for users who can’t spare the bandwidth to download the OS, but don’t want the update.

Good thing I disabled the Windows Update service months ago. I wasn't prepared to check online every time they released updates for any botched ones, seeing as it had started to become a consistent thing (anyone remember that one update that broke all the digital signatures, including the Microsoft ones? Good times), though the real kicker was Microsoft's ominous push to get people to upgrade to Windows 10 by constantly changing the kb number associated with the update; I couldn't be bothered to deal with that.

55 minutes ago, Mister Fael said:

I wonder if this is also a thing for people that got a pirate Windows 7

My Windows 7 was pirated at the time I installed Windows 10. When I reverted back to 7, it blacklisted the key and made my OS non-genuine. It was ridiculous but thankfully, I have windows loader to solve the problem. Since then, I changes the Windows Update settings to the ones I want to install and removed all the Windows 10 nag updates. Goddamn Microsoft, I'd revert back to XP or move to Linux if this continues with their telemetry spying garbage and nag updates.

Trini, look I'm doing this just because of my lap top because I have a lot of wip files and other important files on it, and I'm lazy to back up nor move them. And also who knows what will happen to my files, if I install win10.

I would like to have win10 because it's not bad at all, but not on my current lap top (hell I'm even using Windows XP service pack 3 on my old computer).

I have Windows 10, and working on a MUGEN game on my laptop that has said OS, it works fine, I don't see what's so "unfriendly" about it with MUGEN, MUGEN works fine with Windows 10 on my end, and I have little to no problems with the OS itself too, I don't know what kind of anti-Windows bias you're trying to brew, but Windows 10 works fine on MUGEN and is a pretty user friendly OS on my end, not sure what problems you all are having, but I can be of assistance for those who need help!

• 3 weeks later...

I use a program called 'Alcohol" that emulates a CD ROM. I tried Windows 10 back with the "Edge doesn't load websites" era and I ended up reverting back to Windows 7. My current laptop will always be Win7 now.  I also run a LOT of DOS stuff using DOSBox and in actuality, DOSBox skips a bit with sound and such in Win10 but not so much in Win7. Anywho, this is what's on my pooter at present http://www.theeaceman.com/pooter.html and my little note about Win10 and such is at the bottom of the page. Also note, at the time, Win10 actually changed my C and D drive around and to revert back to Win7 I had to literally redo my hard drive configuration using Acronis. Was not a good experience for me.